Author Topic: P-40 N  (Read 1824 times)

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
Re: P-40 N
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2010, 08:39:58 PM »
Obviously, Sky Captain's plane is a P-40D, with the D standing for Dex, as Dex modified it from it's base model to include grappling hooks, a telegraph, magnetic explosive compartment, as well as wings that can sustain a much tighter turn radius than what would normally be possible without dropping flaps. And let's not forget the super engine that get's him up to flying speed without any evidence of torque. Seriously, if we get the plane from the movie, we might as well give the B-24s some jet engines and say "Nuts" to realism.
Cool :cheers:
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline jay

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2010, 12:33:27 AM »
all i care about is if the darn thing can turn or not
"He who makes a beast of himself Gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr.Johnson

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2010, 12:41:49 AM »
all i care about is if the darn thing can turn or not

Not really. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2010, 12:54:52 AM »
Better than some, worse than others. A little worse than average.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2010, 01:19:36 PM »
I'm all for the P40N :aok
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2010, 01:06:35 AM »
they should add some more japanese, russian and luft rides esp the ones that are missing for scenarios and FSOs.

My all time wish is to have the JU87 G for tank busting  :pray

this,

before another hangar queen only a few AUZ players or P40 devotees fly regularly.

srsly, I would love to snap my fingers and  say - lets go get all this.  But I see MA as the place these planes will be flown, not FSOs or BOBs and in teh MA the russians and japanese need better reprisentation.  

i assume though that modeling a P40 variation is a lot easier then a whole new plane. . .

oh. and yest to the P-40 Dex. . . sounds like a great way to get away from someone is to simply dive. . . underwater!!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 01:09:58 AM by Ruah »

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2010, 03:15:18 PM »
Ruah, to rain on your parade, we need to GET an underwater first.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2010, 03:53:42 PM »
Obviously, Sky Captain's plane is a P-40D, with the D standing for Dex, as Dex modified it from it's base model to include grappling hooks, a telegraph, magnetic explosive compartment, as well as wings that can sustain a much tighter turn radius than what would normally be possible without dropping flaps. And let's not forget the super engine that get's him up to flying speed without any evidence of torque. Seriously, if we get the plane from the movie, we might as well give the B-24s some jet engines and say "Nuts" to realism.

I would rather have Angelina Jolie's aircraft.....with her in it.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2010, 04:00:50 PM »
First, it sounds like our P40E is a conglomeration of P40's like AH's old and now defunct 109G-10.  If our P40B and P40E are not correct, then I would hope AH would correct them and add in the N model.  After all, the N model was the most produced.  It is kind of like having a Spitfire lineup without the Spit9 or the 109 lineup without the G-6 (or G-10?).  

From multiple sources on my bookshelf, it appears that the N model is 20-40mph faster at varying alts than the P40E with an appx max speed of around 380mph at 15k.

I vote for adding it, and allowing the choice of the 4 gun or 6 gun weapon package.      
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2010, 05:26:03 PM »
My question, really who is not for any new planes?

I like the p40 any variant +1

It could even have some nice Russian lend lease skins  :rock
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2010, 06:00:31 PM »
Not just P-40 devotee's fly the P-40. I'm flying it lately, but thats just because I need to push myself. Went from the high preformance LW planes, to the MW planes (P-51B, FM2, 109G2, 190A5) and  now I'm on the EW planes.

Point is that if it was a bit faster and could climb a bit better then  (IMO) it would see more use. I shot down a spit XIV with it just last night, pilot was floatsup. To amend my earlier post on the P-40's turning abilities, I was able to keep with the spit 14 for short periods before he started pulling ahead of me, we were both low E and his engine power probably helped him in the turning.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2010, 09:53:37 PM »
Not just P-40 devotee's fly the P-40. I'm flying it lately, but thats just because I need to push myself. Went from the high preformance LW planes, to the MW planes (P-51B, FM2, 109G2, 190A5) and  now I'm on the EW planes.

Point is that if it was a bit faster and could climb a bit better then  (IMO) it would see more use. I shot down a spit XIV with it just last night, pilot was floatsup. To amend my earlier post on the P-40's turning abilities, I was able to keep with the spit 14 for short periods before he started pulling ahead of me, we were both low E and his engine power probably helped him in the turning.

I believe it has been previously pointed out, however, that it really wouldn't be faster nor would it climb any better. 

Would a P-40N vs a P-40E be as different in flight characteristics as a Spit VIII vs a Spit IX or would it fly basically the same but only look slightly different?

Some say it is faster.  Some say, with added armor and bomb racks, that it actually performs worse than the "hybrid" P-40E we have now.

I'm all for any new aircraft also but there are also priorities and limited resources.  You cannot expect every variant of every aircraft that ever saw combat to be added.

Wish away.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2010, 06:34:09 PM »
I believe it has been previously pointed out, however, that it really wouldn't be faster nor would it climb any better. 

Would a P-40N vs a P-40E be as different in flight characteristics as a Spit VIII vs a Spit IX or would it fly basically the same but only look slightly different?

Some say it is faster.  Some say, with added armor and bomb racks, that it actually performs worse than the "hybrid" P-40E we have now.

I'm all for any new aircraft also but there are also priorities and limited resources.  You cannot expect every variant of every aircraft that ever saw combat to be added.

IMO, the pilot in the P-40N would have an edge, assuming an equal level of skill between the pilots.

It was my understanding that the P-40N was a lightened 4-gun version of the P-40E, mounting a more powerful engine. Wich P-40N version are we talking about here?

of course not, that would be asking too much of HTC.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2010, 12:02:38 PM »
I'd love to see the P40N added!  :aok
Lighten up Francis