Author Topic: PSU Compatible For My Computer?  (Read 433 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
PSU Compatible For My Computer?
« on: April 30, 2009, 12:02:58 AM »
I've been looking around for a decent PSU for my computer.  I found this one at Newegg.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008
It has plenty of power for what I need, but I'm wondering if all of the connectors will fit my mobo.  The one I'm really concerned about is the connector for the cpu.  I read somewhere that there's a 4 pin and/or an 8 pin connector for that.
My computer is only a little over a year old, so I'm hoping this PSU will work.
Here's a little info. on my system.

Acer Aspire E-380
Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 (build 6001)
GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Board: Acer EM61SM/EM61PM
2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core  4400+
RAM 2 Gig.

Thanks for any help.
Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: PSU Compatible For My Computer?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 01:30:16 AM »
I actually had to dig a little myself to find the answer. On the Newegg photos, it shows the CPU connector as an 8 pin.  Now my PSU (a Xclio brand) initially gave me a 45 minute headache when I was building my rig 2 years ago.  In the manual for the PSU, it didn't mention that the 8 pin connector split in 2 and gave me 2 x 4 pin connectors.  This may be the case on the Corsair PSU.  On Corsairs website, they list the plug as "EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin."  Then on their FAQ on the website, it reads...
Q  »              Where’s the 4-pin EPS/ATX 12v connector I need for my motherboard?
A »          Our power supplies ship with an 8-pin connector that splits in half. Use half of this connector for the 4-pin EPS/ATX 12v connector on your motherboard.

So that Corsair should work perfectly for your computer.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 10:25:27 AM »
Thanks a lot Fulmar.  I got tired of googling for info. for this mobo for so long and not finding any specifications on it.  I figured someone on here would be able to help me out.
 :rock
Coogan

From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 10:57:46 AM »
Coog, you're using Onboard video, are you getting the PSU, to go to a video card? 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 12:06:36 PM »
Yes Sir.  I'm getting an EVGA 9800gt.  It's rated at 400 watts and around 24 amps.  This psu is 400 watts and 36 amps off of a 12v single rail. 
Should be close, huh?

Coogan

Game Id's:

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 04:34:35 PM »
Depends on what your idea of fun is.  If you like smoke, sparks, and pops, then it could be a hoot!

Maybe not quite that dramatic.  Maybe only one puuf and one pop.  Then again it might fire up and run for an hour or two, then take every component down with it as it melts down.

If you like living on the edge, then go for it.  I would not mind being wrong.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 04:38:23 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 04:50:38 PM »
Seems that PSU would be fine if it was powering only the GPU.  But remember you have other parts; CPU, HDD, DVD, Motherboard and fans.  Each needs some power, and if I remember from what Skuzzy has said, you need overhead for startup.  If it needs 400watts, and the PSU has 400watts, what about the Extra wattage needed for the rest?  That's, what, 50-100 Watts?

I may be wrong about this though, I am not very informed about the whole Overhead thing.  I'll let Skuzzy or someone explain better.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 05:26:20 PM »
That is cutting it somewhat close. I myself was riding the wire for a few years (quite a ride). Was using a 350W GPU in my system running a K7S5A motherboard (Somewhat hungry) an AMD 1500+ (Somewhat power hungry) 8 fans (not power hungry, however 8 of them is a decent drain) 1 CD-ROM, 1 3+1/2" floppy, 2 hard drives (somewhat power hungry), and a sound-card (not completely power-hungry. Interestingly enough, my PSU was rated at a max of 350W. :D

It was.... AMAZING!

Well, long story short. The ride came to end a few months back when I turned up the motherboard voltage. Blasted PSU didn't like it. :furious

Please don't make a similar mistake. ;)
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 06:52:38 PM »
PC Power & Cooling has rebates

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 07:19:33 PM »
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.  I'm going to shop around some more for something with a little more kick.

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 10:31:06 PM »
Yes Sir.  I'm getting an EVGA 9800gt.  It's rated at 400 watts and around 24 amps.  This psu is 400 watts and 36 amps off of a 12v single rail. 
Should be close, huh?

Coogan

Actually that PSU is 30 amps.  Considering it's 80+ certified it doesn't look like they're fudging the numbers so it should work but you'de be living on the edge.  Add a few more components or try to OC the CPU or GPU and "poof".  Of course the GPU manufacturer's minimum recommended ratings attempt to take into consideration overhead for the rest of the system but how can they really know what you're power draw is? 

I'd look for something in the 600W with 40-50 amps and 80+ range to be safe.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.