Author Topic: Looking for a trainer.  (Read 408 times)

Offline an0maly

• Zinc Member
Looking for a trainer.
« on: May 19, 2009, 02:11:55 PM »
Hi.
I'm looking for a trainer that can show me the ropes of this game. I have been playing for about 4 months now. I like the game very much, but it seems like it is almost impossible to shoot someone down sometimes. I hav ebeen flying a spit16 but I would like to move onto a plane with more ammo and better guns.
I have no problem keeping an enemy in sight and turning with one and lining up for a shot, what I have a problem with is staying on their six.
I think it's called merging, I also have a problem with that.
Can anyone offer me advice on a better plane and fighter tactics?

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: Looking for a trainer.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 02:30:27 PM »
Try and ask the players you see landing a lot of kills (this is no guarantee but a quick & dirty way) if they'd let you ride along in their fighter.  Ask as many questions as you can :)
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline CraneMan

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 02:53:16 PM »
I'm by no means an expert but I do well enough. Hit me up if you would like some training. We will go to the training arena.  :salute

Ingame = CraneMan   
I am on from 6PM CST to whenever Most Days
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 02:56:05 PM by CraneMan »
VF-6 Fighter Squadron            
       Fighting Six
     ~CraneMan~           

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 06:43:32 PM »
Hi.
I'm looking for a trainer that can show me the ropes of this game. I have been playing for about 4 months now. I like the game very much, but it seems like it is almost impossible to shoot someone down sometimes. I hav ebeen flying a spit16 but I would like to move onto a plane with more ammo and better guns.
I have no problem keeping an enemy in sight and turning with one and lining up for a shot, what I have a problem with is staying on their six.

Try here...  http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 07:00:07 PM »
Speaking strictly from experience: Every step you take to improve your abilities will pay off... it's great that you're asking these questions as most often than not someone WILL answer you and/or show you. Each time you get help with any aspect of flying - it accerlerates your growth as a pilot.  :aok

My advice is that you hit the Training Arena as much as possible. I like going in there once or twice a day or simply after I get frustrated with the MA  :furious. Trainers hang out there during different hours of the day and can help you with a lot of issues. Some trainers teach more advanced topics as well. There are also quite a few regulars in the arena that try to help out when no trainers are available. Here's a useful link with trainer schedules: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/calendar/

Just to briefly answer your questions to the best of my knowledge: Merging is the point where you and an opponent meet and cross each other's 3-9 line. The merge is an important moment in a fight and the more you get out of your merge the better. In terms of keeping on someone's six (or behind their 3-9 line), try practicing throttle work, high and low yo-yos and simply following in lag pursuit. These terms may not make any sense to you now... but asking someone in the training arena is a great way to get started.

And stick to any plane that you're comfortable with. The Spitfire Mk XVI is a very good aircraft when you're learning... but if you want to explore the hangar a bit more you could always try these: Spitfire Mk VIII, Bf 109G-2, Ki-84, F4U-1A... There are many more good options but those are some of my own favorites.

Good luck to you.

Hi.
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 07:16:06 PM »
There are a lot of variables and it takes time. The "merge" is the initial meeting in a 1 on 1 fight. I've alway felt that a guy "named" rocketman wrote one of the best primers on the subject...
http://www.fighteraces.net/id4.html

Best thing is spending some time in the TA. Another option is to ride along as an observer in the MA or find a group to fly with. I'm not on much during the week but if you happen to see me I'll be happy to help you out...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 07:50:28 PM »
Hi.

don't be too hard on yourself, 4 months is a drop in the bucket, experience wise.  You have the right idea, asking for help.  Keep plugging away!
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve