Author Topic: bombing a higher alt target?  (Read 407 times)

Offline starsky15

• Zinc Member
bombing a higher alt target?
« on: May 21, 2009, 04:24:08 PM »
I have looked around for something related to this but have not seen anything, so thought i'd start a topic of my own!

i really like bombing, i can usually perfectly knock a target out from 20K ft all the time, except when the target happends to be .2K + above sea level. i know that you should wait for your scope to go over the target a little longer due to the bombs not going to drop exactly where your scope says because of the altitude difference. but this does not always work and is kind of hard to master  :furious

so i was wondering if there was a way say, the target is .2k above sea level. i'm at 10K altitude with a constant speed of 250. i calibrate and everythings good to go. so is there a way that i can subtrace .2k from my calibrated altitude? or would i simply have to calibrate it, then drop 200 feet?

any tips, help, suggestions, commands, anything would be greatly appreciated

Thank you! :rock

Offline Ratpack1

• Nickel Member
      • The Ryan Sayer Show @ OnTilt Radio
Re: bombing a higher alt target?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 05:32:11 PM »
The way the calibration is set up in AH, as long as you hold Y for a decent time over 2 seconds, the alt of the target should not matter. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken. Its a trial and error thing, if you're calibrated alt is higher than your drop alt than you need to drop slightly before and visa versa. Same goes for your calibrated speed and actual speed. You just have to do it a bunch and get the feel for what distance from the target you need to drop depending on those factors. Zooming on the bomb sight would also alter this as well.

Just got to keep at it. There is no problem in the world that can't be solved with the right amount of explosives!  :D
When you get where you're going, that's where you are! -Mike Brady
172nd Rabid Dawgs
"The Real" Commander of Awesome (Stick "Ozzie Nelson" Pig)

Offline starsky15

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 05:41:31 PM »
well yes i understand what you are saying and thank you for your reply! i mean i'm not new to calibration, i understand it, know how to look in E6b and make sure everythings where it should be. it just seems to me that when a target is above sea level a certain amount it changes it up. and when its on sea level i hit it exactly.

but well, who knows!? maybe i'm making some mistake along the way, maybe something i'm doing only works half the time. idk. maybe i  should just get used to dropping about 50 feet after i pass the target? seem's like that'll do it.  :D

Offline 1MADDOG1

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 06:29:33 PM »
I prefer the B17 and Lancaster for my bombing runs. I range from 10k AGL to 30k sometimes. To my best knowledge, the sites are actually terrain following/adjusted. Also, the higher you are, up your dropload by a factor of 1 due to the alt, your bombs will have a wider spread to them. Just my thoughts and experiences.

:salute

V/R
1MADDOG1
:old: SM1/E-6 USN 1980-1991 (100% Disabled Vet) Served on FFG-11, FFG-13, FF-1047, LHD-1, HC-16, NAS Pensacola (Navy Police)
Multi AHXARL Season & Finale Champion, Having Fun Since Tour #76
I'm also PorkyPig, DickWeed, 1CASPER1 & Calypso

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 06:38:43 PM »
it just seems to me that when a target is above sea level a certain amount it changes it up.

Nope.  It doesn't.  Drop at exactly the same time as you would if the target was at sea level.  The bombsight compensates for terrain alt.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 06:43:26 PM »
Personally, I think they should go back to the old, manual calibration mode like they still use in many special events.  There, you have to shift-click on your target on the map to set the target's altitude, then hold the calibrate key while keeping the bombsite crosshairs on top of a spot on the terrain below to set your speed.  That takes care of higher-alt targets and all that.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Ratpack1

• Nickel Member
      • The Ryan Sayer Show @ OnTilt Radio
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 08:00:43 PM »
I never ever pay attention the E6B when i level bomb from the heavens. It's never really been a factor. The only two things I look at are drop alt and calibrated alt, then I adjust my timing on the button press accordingly. The B17 is the best at holding a steady alt after the calibrating. The Lancs not too bad, 24's seems to give me the most fits by fluctuating altitude. All that however can be compensated by throttling back a hair if needed.
When you get where you're going, that's where you are! -Mike Brady
172nd Rabid Dawgs
"The Real" Commander of Awesome (Stick "Ozzie Nelson" Pig)