Author Topic: Myth: SpitXVI is "slow"  (Read 13814 times)

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
Re: Myth: SpitXVI is "slow"
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 01:01:19 PM »
well dang maybe we should make one of the fastest also.. Along with its super climb/rate/acceleration/turn radius bla bla bla  :eek:
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 01:32:27 PM »
well we all know its faster than a P-40, how does it compared when stacked up against other late war fighters?

+1
-AoM-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 02:02:46 PM »
Am I the only one seeing an obsessed mind on a futile crusade?

Nope.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 02:15:40 PM »
Lusche your chart says P3-38J where it should say P-38J :).
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 02:26:25 PM »
Charts are sooo much better than a wall of abstract numbers  :)

(Image removed from quote.)

(Disclaimer - Most numbers are derived right off the speed tables and some may be off by maybe 1 or 2 mph. If anybody spots a major error, please say so.)

where is ki84?
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 02:54:58 PM »
well we all know its faster than a P-40, how does it compared when stacked up against other late war fighters?

So, you want me to compare it to fighters that are *only* available in LW?

You DO realize that will remove the P-51B, 109G2, P-47D-11, La5Fn, F4U-1*, and Typhoon from the list of fighters that are faster at either high or low alt, as well as the bunch of slower birds you're thinking of, correct?  :D While still leaving, just off the top of my head, the late war fighters P-47D-25, P-47D40, P-38L, and Ki-84 on one or both of the "slower than" list.

EDIT: Lets face it, the LW *is* the MA. As long as Early and Mid war fighters are available in it, that is where people will go to fly whatever when they want an environment with targets, especially at off-hours time. So yeah, comparing it to the whole range of fighters is fair.

*It should be noted that the F4U is slower than the SpitXVI between 5K and 10K. The low alt measurement was apparently taken on the deck, the "high alt" above 10K. So me calling the unperked F4Us faster is in and of itself debatable.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 03:06:29 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 02:57:06 PM »
Am I the only one seeing an obsessed mind on a futile crusade?

Lusche, insult is the last refuge out the out-argued. I would have expected this out of the typical trash who for some reason want to continue arguing after their arguments are proven to have come from a position of ignorance. But out  of you? Shameful.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 03:23:34 PM »

*It should be noted that the F4U is slower than the SpitXVI between 5K and 10K. The low alt measurement was apparently taken on the deck, the "high alt" above 10K. So me calling the unperked F4Us faster is in and of itself debatable.

Uh, no she's not. The F4U-1 and 1A are both faster than the Spixteen at all altitudes (the 1C and D lose ~25mph top speed due to the permanently fixed pylons). W/O WEP it's a margin of nearly 40MPH ASL (WEP makes it closer, but there's still a good 7-10mph difference) and closing the gap as altitude increases. The C and D are slower within that 5-10k range, but the margin is VERY negligible.

At least if Gonzo's comparisons are to be believed (to get the 1A's stats combine the speed curve of the -1 with the climb and acceleration of the 1D. 1A is slightly faster than the 1, and the 1D climbs slightly better, but this will be more or less accurate).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 03:24:55 PM »
EDIT: Lets face it, the LW *is* the MA. As long as Early and Mid war fighters are available in it, that is where people will go to fly whatever when they want an environment with targets, especially at off-hours time. So yeah, comparing it to the whole range of fighters is fair.

So you've demonstrated that an ENY 5 plane is faster than almost all the ENY 25-30 planes. But the P-40B, 109E-4, and A6M2 aren't the planes the Spit XVI is being measured against when (endlessly) debating whether it should be perked, whether it's more uber than all the other uber planes, whether it's more of a n00b plane than anything else, etc.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 03:29:51 PM »
So you've demonstrated that an ENY 5 plane is faster than almost all the ENY 25-30 planes. But the P-40B, 109E-4, and A6M2 aren't the planes the Spit XVI is being measured against when (endlessly) debating whether it should be perked, whether it's more uber than all the other uber planes, whether it's more of a n00b plane than anything else, etc.

I have above demonstrated that removing everything but LW only rides from the equation may not have the desired effect. :devil

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 03:37:02 PM »
I have above demonstrated that removing everything but LW only rides from the equation may not have the desired effect. :devil

It removes a few of the planes that are faster than the XVI and every plane that's slower with a single exception. I'd say that's the intended (not necessarily desired) effect.

The XVI is slow compared to all the other "uber" planes except the N1K2.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 03:48:35 PM »
It removes a few of the planes that are faster than the XVI and every plane that's slower with a single exception. I'd say that's the intended (not necessarily desired) effect.

The XVI is slow compared to all the other "uber" planes except the N1K2.

Comparing only ENY 5 planes instead of all planes or at least all LW planes is a piss poor way of going about it. But since you brought it up...we have the La7...much faster..but out-rolled, out-climbed, out-turned, out-gunned. P-47N-much faster...for five minutes. Vastly inferior in climb, turn, acceleration, and even inferior in roll. N1K...slower, poor climber, much poorer roller, and not even clearly the better turner. Spitfire is hardly outclassed by them, that is for certain. The planes in this group that are actually faster than the SpitXVI are also vastly less capable as dogfighters and are much, much, much easier to deal on average.

The late-war only P-47D-25, D-40, P-38L, and Ki-84 are also slower than the SpitXVI.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 03:51:19 PM by BnZs »

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 03:52:17 PM »
Unperk the Spit 14 and F4U-1C. :D
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 03:55:09 PM »
You are correct Sax, however, according to DokGonzo's the top deck speed of the F4U-1 is 358, compared to the Spixteen's 344, 14mph difference, with the gap appearing to actually narrow 'till above 10K. And then narrowing back in again quite a bit above 20K, although that is almost completely unimportant for MA purposes.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 05:47:34 PM »
So, you want me to compare it to fighters that are *only* available in LW?

if its easy to do, i dont have anything to prove, just interested :)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli