Author Topic: Float Planes?(will they ever be)  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
Float Planes?(will they ever be)
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2000, 04:36:00 AM »
Catalina    

Sunderland    

Emily    

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please !!!

please !!

One of my evergreen dreams is to buy a Catalina and use it as flying yacht.

Only problem is money  

[This message has been edited by Naso (edited 11-07-2000).]

JENG

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2000, 07:21:00 AM »
One question... what can you do with them??

Ok so the emily is a bomber, the sunderland could be used as an anti-sub plane, but wasn't the catalina purely recon?

Btw I see it already flying that sunderland at 50 feet of the water towards an enemy CV trying to torpedo it while avoiding the AAA  

Just joking guys... I would also like to see some seaplanes in this game  

Bee

Offline Spritle

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2000, 09:05:00 AM »
JENG,

The Catalina was also an anti-sub aircraft as well as rescue.  

Also Jigster the N1K1 was NOT a float plane the N1K was.

There is a pretty big difference.  

Spritle

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2000, 09:40:00 AM »
N1K1 is the float plane, the N1K1-Ja was the first land based variant.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2000, 01:52:00 PM »
I think any float plane or flying boat is going to have relatively poor performance, but thats ok, that's how it was, I believe.

I hope flight models will include such things as taxiing, sea spray, bobbing up and down in the seas, getting up on the step and having to rock ailerons side to side to break loose from the water in certain planes, etc.

It will be interesting to see how these will fit into strategy...
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2000, 02:08:00 PM »
Keep all those Flying Boats, I want this:

More pics from the Nimitz Museum in Fredricksburg, Texas:

http://lizking.com/nimitz.htm

Offline M.C.202

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2000, 04:12:00 PM »
JENG said:
> Ok so the emily is a bomber, the sunderland could be used as an anti-sub plane, but wasn't
> the catalina purely recon?

A big NO to that. The "Black Cats" used torps, bombs, depth charges, .50cals, and the kitchen sink in the Pacific.
They did a lot of damage and were part of the turn of the war for the Allied forces.
Radar and BIG balls were the order of the day....

> Bee

------------------
M.C.202
Dino in Reno

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2000, 06:35:00 PM »
Uhh, why is that N1K1-J on a carrier deck? It was solely a land-based fighter...  

tssfka

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2000, 07:42:00 PM »

A big NO to that. The "Black Cats" used torps, bombs, depth charges, .50cals, and the kitchen sink in the Pacific.
They did a lot of damage and were part of the turn of the war for the Allied forces.
Radar and BIG balls were the order of the day....

> Bee

[/B]

Bring on the cat.  Anyone ever play "Aces of the Pacific"?  Best boxed WWII flight sim of it's time.  Loved getting a zero and attacking cats...  Great to do it in AH too...

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2000, 07:43:00 PM »
  A revelation ahhhhhhhh,Ok as to how are we going to use them,well troops from the sea!
  Hears how, they have said their will be seaplane tenders. Well after the strike from the carrier goes in u hop in a Ju 52/3mW (the float variant of the venerable JU 52),and deliver your paratroopers.(or you land a Catilina on the scene PBY 5A)
  Fighter cover is provided by a N1k(or a Rufe),A strike could be flow by a Cat or an Emily, or a He 115, or a Cant Z.506B,their are lots of sea planes that pack enough bombs to neutralize a scene.
  The Baltimore Class cruiser we are to get also carried float planes launched them and recovered them, you could use a Kingfisher or a Seahawk to spot for the Guns look for incoming PT boats ack as a defensive fighter,ect.They carried 4 planes and had to catapults.
   Sea planes also carried torpedos the He 115 and the Cant Z.506B to name but 2.
   Now as far a seaplane tender I would wish for a Ise class (converted battleship whose after turrets were removed to create a flight deck) Armament was 8-14inch,16 5inchDP 57 25mm, and 22 seaplanes (her sister ship was named Hyuga both saw action)

Brady

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2000, 09:33:00 PM »

Originally posted by brady:
 A revelation ahhhhhhhh,Ok as to how are we going to use them,well troops from the sea!
  Hears how, they have said their will be seaplane tenders. Well after the strike from the carrier goes in u hop in a Ju 52/3mW (the float variant of the venerable JU 52),and deliver your paratroopers.(or you land a Catilina on the scene PBY 5A)
  Fighter cover is provided by a N1k(or a Rufe),A strike could be flow by a Cat or an Emily, or a He 115, or a Cant Z.506B,their are lots of sea planes that pack enough bombs to neutralize a scene.
  The Baltimore Class cruiser we are to get also carried float planes launched them and recovered them, you could use a Kingfisher or a Seahawk to spot for the Guns look for incoming PT boats ack as a defensive fighter,ect.They carried 4 planes and had to catapults.
   Sea planes also carried torpedos the He 115 and the Cant Z.506B to name but 2.
   Now as far a seaplane tender I would wish for a Ise class (converted battleship whose after turrets were removed to create a flight deck) Armament was 8-14inch,16 5inchDP 57 25mm, and 22 seaplanes  (her sister ship was named Hyuga both saw action)

Brady

Now now, why bother with the Ju 52 when there are perfectly capable Do 18's around?

- Jig

Offline M.C.202

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2000, 09:41:00 PM »
ssfka said:  
> Bring on the cat. Anyone ever play "Aces of the Pacific"? Best boxed WWII flight sim of
> it's time. Loved getting a zero and attacking cats... Great to do it in AH too..

At night? They were called "Black Cats" for a reason. If there are big boats, ie CA's, BB's, CV's, there should be night actions against them, air and sea.

------------------
M.C.202
Dino in Reno

Offline LaVa

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2000, 03:31:00 AM »
a seaplane rating addon to your SEL private only costs 500 us dollars here in FLA.... so come and get it........

LaVa the real drunk pilot that needs a flying job!!!
 anyone hiring a low time pilot??

UncleBuck

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2000, 04:56:00 PM »
I see teh main reason for Float planes to be increase teh RADAR range.  If playing over large water RADAR is not going to see everything so you have to do long range scout, these could send contact reports, and I guess try to attack.  I would like some sea Planes how about the Curtis seaHAWK

?                  uNCLEbUCK

LJK Raubvogel

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2000, 08:54:00 PM »
I would love to shoot all of them down  

------------------
LJK_Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps