Author Topic: Skins don't show. . .  (Read 450 times)

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
Skins don't show. . .
« on: May 31, 2009, 11:33:24 PM »
So I DLed a bunch of skins from the site here, and when I go to the offline arena to 'try them on', which it shows in the drag drop menu, when I select the skin it reverts back to default automatically - this is to say I select the desired skin, and it the choise will just return as default.  The odd thing is, it works for some and not for others and I cannot find a common link between the working versions (two or so) and the non-working versions (which are registered as a choise, but somehow will not allow itself to be selected).

anything I can do to get the skins to change?

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Skins don't show. . .
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 12:31:10 AM »
2 questions:

Are the skins red in the drop-list?

Are you running Vista?

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 01:08:05 AM »
2 questions:

Are the skins red in the drop-list?

No, they are black

Are you running Vista?

yes visa ultimate 64

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 01:14:44 AM »
Vista's tricky... I don't use it myself (for so many reasons), but you may want to look at this thread Skuzzy put up.

It was point #3, hence the "3"

3)  Where are my files and folders for the game? 

Vista, by default, places all files and folders created after the installation of any program in the "Program Files" directory into a virtual store directory.

It's a new feature of Vista called 'User Access Control' (UAC).  Vista hides the folder from you, but you can find it, for example, in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\HTC\Aces High II, where username is replaced with your Vista login ID.  The folder AppData is hidden so you have to manually type it in the path box.

If you find the above to be undesirable, then you might want to simply install the game into another folder, not in the "Program Files" directory.  In Vista, UAC only works on files installed in the "Program Files" directory.  We have also discovered UAC will hamper game performance and might corrupt the game data files.  We strongly advise choosing another installation path for the game, such as "C:\Games\Aces High II".
What follows is the maula method to get around the problem if you did allow the game to be installed in its default location.

If you want all your files back where they used to be, then you would have needed to run the game installer using a right-click and selecting "Run as Administrator" option.

After that, you would have to right-click on the Aces High II start up ICON and select "Run as Administrator" every time you wanted to run the game, unless you set the game to "Run as Administrator" all the time.  To do this, you right-click on the Aces High II start up ICON, and select "Properties".  Under the "Compatibility" tab, select the "Run this program as an administrator" option,  This will make all the game folders and files to be stored in their normal path locations.

However, any files you had before will not longer be used.  So you may want to copy the folders and contents of the UAC path above to the original root folder location of Aces High II before you set the option to run the game as an administrator.  This will preserve all your settings.

Another upside to checking the option to run the game as an administrator under Vista is it will allow the game's auto-updater to work correctly.  Vista blocks the creation of any executable file in the game's root installation folder unless it is run as an admin.  This prevents the auto-updater from working correctly.

Please keep in mind, we have no control over these new features.  We cannot change options in your operating system configuration.  All we can do is try to provide ways to work within the framework Microsoft decides to give everyone.

Could that be why? See if you have this UAC directory, and try putting the skins in THAT \skins\ directory, maybe?