Author Topic: 109-G2 Whats with the swastikas?  (Read 1085 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
109-G2 Whats with the swastikas?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2000, 03:09:00 PM »
I'm patiently waiting for the F6F with appropriate titty markings  

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

combat23

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2000, 03:50:00 PM »
LOL .... and just what's wrong with the Rebel flag?
History is history flag, cross, symbol,people,what ever. I am not a, nor do I support the Nazi's. However if I want to fly a 109 I don't care how it's marked. I'm glad I get a chance to fly. And if I get a chance to shoot one down I 'm sure not going to pass it up cause of a blue, black or any other color marking.

see ya on line

MaxImm

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2000, 08:23:00 PM »
Oh...

The markings are from the Finnish Air Force...mmm....

Well, only now do I see this symbol in its intended form.  It's rotated 45 degrees!  Ahh! That makes all the difference in the world!  Yes! The clouds of ignorance have parted and I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!!

But seriously folks I appreciate all responses as I have learned something here.

I'm not getting any tail.  

Offline fats

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2000, 09:36:00 PM »
'Hakaristi' means swastika in every day talk. If you ask someone in Finland for example to draw a swastika chances are he/she will draw it at 0'. The distinction that swastika was displayed only at 45' isn't true either. On some equipment, statues ( hmm is that a word? ) and such it was 0'.

//fats

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2000, 03:31:00 AM »
You will also find the "Swastika" sign on Japanese Temples or Forts , that sign over there is a toejamo mark, and dates back from before the 10th Century AD...

It is in the opposite sence though, but I was still surrised to see it in the middle of Tokyo, untill someone explained it to me...

------------------
Saint
DCO 186th Wardogs (Falcon4 Squad)
 http://www.wardogs.org/
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

funked

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2000, 04:10:00 AM »
Yes it's quite silly that we can't have the swastika on the Nazi planes.  I've built a few model kits where the swastika was not shown on the box, not shown in the instructions, but on the decal sheet there were two decals that could be combined to create one.  Quite funny.

Almost as silly as the F-1 model kits I have where there are no tobacco sponsor decals because one country or another forbids it!

Silly silly silly.

weretiger

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2000, 05:06:00 AM »
i think the swastika are coming from India pre-Antiquity.

I believe it was on that ground the uncle Adolph took it as India is, allegedly the starting point of the Aryans .......

Offline janneh

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2000, 06:40:00 AM »
I remember I've visited a site, which contains tons of different swastikas, even Jewish Swastika !

And for someone, who like to learn something about FAF, here's a good link :
Fighter Tactics Academy
ps. There's Robert Shaw's writing about Finnish Winter war too  

Here's a quote from his column:
As an illustration, it was not uncommon for (soviet)wingmen to follow their leader around during an engagement and fire their guns whenever he did, whether they were pointed in the general vicinity of an enemy aircraft or not."  

[This message has been edited by janneh (edited 01-20-2000).]

Sorrow[S=A]

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2000, 08:07:00 PM »
Oh I do that to Leonid all the time, drives him BATTY I tell ya...

[GRIN]

------------------
If your in range, so is the enemy.

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2000, 08:35:00 PM »
ROFL Sorrow.

cc on the FAF site Jannah. It is excellent. Does anyone know if Shaw ever completed that second book he was (is) working on? The article on the Winter War is another fine work by Shaw.