Author Topic: I crave more competition!  (Read 8226 times)

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: I crave more competition!
« Reply #180 on: May 20, 2009, 12:03:01 PM »
Levi at the '08 Blizzcon in Anaheim cosplaying his Lvl 80 rogue.

(Image removed from quote.)

ack-ack

lol, Rogues don't wear cloth.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 12:07:54 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #181 on: May 20, 2009, 12:11:19 PM »
lol, Rogues don't wear cloth.

phhbbbttt Rogues.

Real men do it in plate.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #182 on: May 20, 2009, 01:23:08 PM »
You did not know WOW has a quest called Aces High in which you dog fight griffins? ( I am not joking)

The next major software task is to bring server based "H2H' arenas , I.E. the ability to start new arenas by paying users on our servers. Something like the OP describe has already been considered, but not decided to code or not.

What the OP is really asking for is geared to the people who use the dueling arena now. He assumes that it would drastically change the quantity of people who wish to play. While it may incrementally (I.E. small amount) increase subscriptions it could also hurt subscriptions.

The one thing this thread does clearly show is the lack of knowledge about who plays online games. I love the stereo typing of how "The people who play my game are much better"

The things I do like about the OP are that it is an idea to add to game play, and not force existing players to play his way, as so many other topics are.
It does not require a many people to reach critical mass like other ideas.

So while the OP is obviously overly optimistic about the effects I give this one a + on the idea scale.

Hitech

Something I did realised very shortly on after my OP was that I came across way to extremist, mentioning the game of which we do not speak of didn’t help my cause either and I only have myself to blame. However, the predigests by some people posting in this thread is simply laughable.

I still stand by my OP, currently we only have competitive events which come around one or twice a month, and these are setup by the player community. I truly do believe that adding a system which would allow players to compete on a larger scale would be a fantastic addition to AH2. Like RumbleB said, it “would be a superb endgame and a compelling reason for me to stay”

So.. Maybe there could be an in-game display of the dueling ladder standings. Visible in the Lobby? Working roughly like the briefing interface that was planned for CT.  Have the standings displayed on a wall, and code things so that you could have those matches in the DA be (on the players' cue to the system, e.g. a dot command confirmation from all players involved) tallied towards the Dueling Ladder's standings.  Have them be invulnerable to anyone outside the match (like the "dueling instance" from AW (IIRC) that Murdr brought up) for the duration.

Make the ladder have divisions for 1:1, 2:2, and 6:6 (or something).. At least 1:1 and 2:2; those are the sure values IMO.  Put the leaders on the front page along with KOTH and SDL winners.. Next to the monthly rank winners as we have now.

+1

I would say 2v2 and 3v3 would be the best layout to start with. Any less and it's just like KoTH, any more and it's just like SDL. I could see this system replacing both if it was added...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 01:40:45 PM by Kazaa »

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #183 on: May 20, 2009, 01:39:42 PM »
why reset them every month?   If a ladder system is implemented I'd like to see it go on all year.  The top 16 could then have a knockout competition at the end of the year.  Similiar to TOC but this would be strictly 1vs1 or 2vs2. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #184 on: May 20, 2009, 01:39:54 PM »
"I would say 2v2 and 3v3 would be the best layout to start with. Any less and it's just like KoTH, any more and it's just like SDL."

Well.. KOTH isn't 1:1 at all (has more to do with predicting the way clumps of 1-5 player furballs will go), so a 1:1 division would definitely be interesting.  IIRC there was an overlap in the AHDL and KOTH respective lifetimes. The SDL could be a separate division that's also displayed in that hypothetical lobby's standings billboard.  I don't think these are mutually exclusive as far as Lobby display and official sanctioning goes.

Dunno if you mean my suggestion, on the monthly reset. The way I'd do it would be to have a monthly display of the top standings on the HTC home page, for all "divisions" (1:1, 2:2, SDL) like they do for scoring (regardless of the reset for that).  There wouldn't have to be a reset for the dueling ladder divisions.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 01:41:57 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #185 on: May 20, 2009, 01:51:21 PM »
why reset them every month?   If a ladder system is implemented I'd like to see it go on all year.  The top 16 could then have a knockout competition at the end of the year.  Similiar to TOC but this would be strictly 1vs1 or 2vs2. 

I'm not sure about all year, every month would give players a chance to start over fresh and it would coincide with tour scores also. Reset is always healthy.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:01:27 PM by Kazaa »

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #186 on: May 20, 2009, 02:01:14 PM »
what i'm getting at is more of a dueling rating  (like a level up  :t)  if you wiped them every month you won't have a cumulative record.

for example over the course of 3 months you wooped me  80% of the time but then I got better and started wooping you for the next 3 months, our  ratings would be fairly similiar (not counting whether we started fighting other higher rated people in between).  Either way a ladder system that represents who is the daddy and not who can game the scoring categories the best.   restricting yourself to a months worth of dueling won't gauge progress over time or give you a better average of the top top sticks.

a monthly position update would be good as m00t suggested.  or a searchable function.  Say who has most dueling kills, who killed the most in certain plane types.  K/D ratio factored in.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:06:54 PM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #187 on: May 20, 2009, 02:10:21 PM »
Bruv, you'll have to speak to me about it on vent...

The system that I'm use to is very hard for me to explain, so I will not bother trying.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:15:25 PM by Kazaa »

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #188 on: May 20, 2009, 03:03:39 PM »
The search capability could be done like for score/rank/stats now.  It would look thru stats gathered from "duel instance" events.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #189 on: May 20, 2009, 03:29:58 PM »
 Might just join this name in light charade, just to try and beat you all and make you wish you had not suggested it. But I will get bored of domination quickly and go back to my usual self. Even if i fail to beat you all I can fall back on why I enjoy the game currently.
 Dont see why this is any different to the score page or name in lights for landing kills. You want your name in lights for this, so you better not again complain that someone else wants their names in lights for landing 10 cherry picks in a tempest.

Anyhow, what will you lot do to ease the pain next time you get bored of being the best at something? Make a new system to rank up?

And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #190 on: May 20, 2009, 03:43:58 PM »
Might just join this name in light charade, just to try and beat you all and make you wish you had not suggested it. But I will get bored of domination quickly and go back to my usual self. Even if i fail to beat you all I can fall back on why I enjoy the game currently.
 Dont see why this is any different to the score page or name in lights for landing kills. You want your name in lights for this, so you better not again complain that someone else wants their names in lights for landing 10 cherry picks in a tempest.

This system would be different because it’s completely fair.

Anyhow, what will you lot do to ease the pain next time you get bored of being the best at something? Make a new system to rank up?

I don't know, I can safely say that I've never been the best at anything yet.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 03:48:59 PM by Kazaa »

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #191 on: May 20, 2009, 04:20:14 PM »
fairplay, me too :aok
(apart from augering, im the best at that there is)
I dont think any system is ever completely water tight when real people compete against each other.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #192 on: May 20, 2009, 04:25:02 PM »
The good ol' days....  :rofl

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #193 on: May 20, 2009, 04:26:19 PM »
The good ol' days....  :rofl

(Image removed from quote.)

Was that the 70's Xbox generation... :lol
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 04:34:41 PM by Kazaa »

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #194 on: May 20, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
THat right there is pre-2600 even..........   

Was that the 70's Xbox generation... :lol
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.