Author Topic: An objective look at "fishy" flying  (Read 2650 times)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Re: An objective look at "fishy" flying
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2009, 01:36:22 PM »
Nice one m00t.  Wiffed on my shot and payed for it. 

Here is the film from my perspective 

CAUTION: Above film contains profanity (mogex) on vox range.

LOL, he actually sounds like he's all red faced and crying. Don't like him

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2009, 01:40:13 PM »

LOL, he actually sounds like he's all red faced and crying. Don't like him

lol,I have to watch this. :lol

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2009, 01:55:53 PM »
Regarding those that think this is much to do about nothing...well that probably should be true but unfortunately it isn't.

Maybe in this case it's just a bit of frustration showing through (probably) or maybe the 190 actually believed there was some cheat involved.  In either case, there is something to be learned.  I suppose there is the possibility that someone can hack the system just as can be done on most any other system but if this is really a big problem why is it that nobody can ever post a verifiable example?  I understand HTC's desire not to publicise any problems like this but I'd still think those of us that have been around for a while would have seen a film or two of it and there haven't been any that I've seen.  

But, to get back to why this post isn't a bad idea.  Regardless of whether it's just frustration or actual belief in cheating, that person and others who have been in similar situations can learn from it and get better.  They see how it was done, that it's not magic or a cheat, and that they can learn to do it themselves or at least better defend against it.  This is just like another recent post regarding a 180 degree pass with the bandit doing an "impossible" turn to plant himself on the other guys six.  It can be done and newer guys need to recognize it for what it is.  

At the same time, a bit of understanding and less personalization is called for.  I wish that the film viewer would allow you to remove names so that a film can be posted strictly for academic purposes without devolving into personal attacks and derogatory remarks.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 01:57:48 PM by Mace2004 »
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline frosty

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2009, 01:56:12 PM »
Nice one m00t.  Wiffed on my shot and payed for it. 

Here is the film from my perspective 

CAUTION: Above film contains profanity (mogex) on vox range.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Meh, he's just frustrated.  No accusations were thrown.  Funny anyhow...better to just vent into a dead mic than to hit F12... 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 01:58:41 PM by frosty »

Offline Brentlo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2009, 02:18:07 PM »
Yeah your right mace it does get a little personal when trying to air differences.  That was exactly what I was thinking Frosty don't hit the button when your temper get the best of ya!

Thanks for posting your perspective of the real fight Messiah it truely is a game of inches.
Love that film of yours that you posted several weeks ago "DA lake fun" it proved that with practice you can actually hit with a K4 regularly.  This film proves that you do indeed 
miss sometimes >

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2009, 02:18:48 PM »
Wow.

Really well written, long post over nothing.

I think the guy was frustrated over getting killed.  Nothing else.

Take it as a compliment and move along. 

No C-word involved or accused.

Much ado about nothing.

wrongway
Pray tell what else 'BS on your 152' and 'your wings should have snapped' is implying?   And are you saying what the OP is supposedly addressing in this case (crying cheat), never happens?

It's not perpetuating a rumor when it has clearly occurred.  Why protect those who may try by perpetuating the myth that it hasn't been done?  See no evil, hear no evil and all that.  Of course HTC looks at it (I hope), but in the history of gaming nothing has ever been hack proof, especially client-side intensive games like this one.  Why pretend it's non-issue?  

What ISP drops people for cheating?  That would be fantastic but I can't see a large soulless ISP caring one way or the other.
You don't know what you're talking about.  Perpetuating an outdated rumour is stupid.  It's not a case of see/hear/speak no evil, nor "the people have the right to know", nor is anyone pretending it's a non-issue.   HTC takes cheating seriously.
Regarding those that think this is much to do about nothing...well that probably should be true but unfortunately it isn't.

Maybe in this case it's just a bit of frustration showing through (probably)
It's been over a couple dozen times that someone's accused me explicitely.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 02:21:52 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2009, 02:24:35 PM »
From a doorknob kinda pilot (me that is), moot just lagged his roll a bit, slid it back into position and killed the 109 (even I can manage that at times)

Cant see what the drama is about personally. Moot is way too good in that 152 to need to try anything untoward.

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2009, 02:43:55 PM »
It's been over a couple dozen times that someone's accused me explicitely.
Moot, please go and re-read my post.  I must not have been clear but I wasn't talking about you complaining.  I was saying that the frustration and accusations were from the 190, not you.  If I can clairify, I'm saying that in a perfect world, posts like this wouldn't be necessarily but I think they serve a useful function here.  The one thing I would change would be to be able to easily remove everyone's name from the equation so it can be a learning opportunity vice devolve into personal rants.  I've also been accused of "cheating" and have asked the accuser to post the film and I could explain what I did for his, or other's edification.  I've yet to have anyone actually post one of me "cheating".
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2009, 02:57:12 PM »
Pray tell what else 'BS on your 152' and 'your wings should have snapped' is implying?   And are you saying what the OP is supposedly addressing in this case (crying cheat), never happens?

Frustration at getting shot down.  It couldn't possibly have been something he did wrong.

What he is really saying is, "there's no way I or any other average player could have pulled that off."

Take it as a compliment and move along.

Personally, I enjoy watching your work, for whatever reason you post it.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2009, 03:10:36 PM »
Yeah Mace, that's what I meant.. I wouldn't have made this post a couple of years ago. But given how often it comes up (admittedly it's a low threshold), I thought it would be worth it.
I've yet to have anyone actually post one of me "cheating".
Exactly :)

wrgway, that's not what it looks like.. I'll concede I'm not in his head to know his thoughts, but his comments are exactly like what I've heard from other players that went on to say it explicitely when asked.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2009, 03:23:07 PM »
I would agree with you Moot and I think you hit it on target  :salute
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2009, 06:17:44 PM »
2) If you're serious about dealing with cheating, there's more sense in reporting what you see concretely (film, screenshot), and directly and quietly to HTC than in endlessly mouthing off about how more or less common it is, with no supporting evidence other than "I'm quitting so there's no reason for me not to tell the truth": 

The one and only time I have ever been accused of hacking is by you, moot.  You were aggressive to the point of causing me to call Hitech to check on the possible repercussions.  They assured me that there was an occasional bug where it appeared that the wing was missing and the plane was still able to fly.  You, moot, were shooting me down in my 110G and I was oblivious to the damage I was taking.

A bit of a tangent on the topic, but people make irrational accusations when frustrated or whatever.  I wasn't cheating, but you were threatening me directly but not quietly in no uncertain terms with hitech discipline. 

For the record, the only sure cheat I have ever seen was a JU-87 with infinite ord carpet bombing a base.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2009, 06:31:06 PM »
Well, that is certainly ironic, but you have to take it in context. It was probably around time where players exploited that "no name" bug.  It sounds like you just ignored people telling you to relog to fix it.  Which is what a couple of players were doing, on purpose.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
<--- puts sticky note on monitor to revisit this thread after 2+ cups of strong coffee.  :O
just buy the cliff notes. :rofl
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2009, 07:02:08 PM »
Wow, what a baby.