Author Topic: Video Resolution  (Read 435 times)

Offline glacey

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
Video Resolution
« on: May 20, 2009, 05:21:06 AM »
I have a 1600 x 1200 monitor.

I have set Video resolution in AH to 1600 x 1200

My question is whether AH actually runs at a true 1600 x 1200 because :-

a) my mouse cursor seems to think it is much less

b) it doesn't look like 1600

c) my joystick software cannot place the cursor using 1600 x 1200 screen positions.

If it is not true 1600 x 1200 (eg 1024 x 768 blown up to fill the screen) then what is the actual resolution? Unfortunately my monitor does not tell me.

thanks

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Video Resolution
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 05:57:03 AM »
Whatever you set the resolution at, the game will run at.  We do not control how the pixels are actually drawn on the monitor.  That is a function of the Windows DirectX layer, the vide card driver, the video card and the monitor.

If your monitor it an LCD monitor, and you run the game at anything other than the native resolution of the monitor, then it will act like you describe, to some degree as LCD monitors only hav one resolution they run at.  All other resolutions are pixel tricks to make it appear like they are running at different resolutions.

If you know the manufacturer and the model of the monitor, you can usually find the native resolution at the manufacturer's WEB site.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline glacey

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 07:28:30 AM »
Thanks.

My monitor has 1600x1200 native resolution which is why it's puzzling me. Cursor goes to position A on desktop and position B in AH as if the two have different res yet both are set at the same. maybe it is a feature of vista x64...who knows?

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 09:33:58 AM »
Do you have, "Widescreen" checked in the video settings?
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline glacey

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 12:18:04 PM »
Do you have, "Widescreen" checked in the video settings?

No. I am sure now that it is the Cougar x64 software that is at fault. Used to work OK in the old days.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 12:53:34 PM »
What about the highres texture pack?  It was updated since you were gone.  I don't know crap but see if that helps at all until the monitor manufacturer gets back to you.

No. I am sure now that it is the Cougar x64 software that is at fault. Used to work OK in the old days.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline glacey

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 03:23:17 AM »
I have got to the bottom of this problem. Anyone using a Hotas Cougar who is having difficulty positioning the mouse cursor in AH read on :-

The problem with the MOUSEXY (x,y) command in Vista x64 anyway

The desktop result depends on the 'Pointer Speed' and 'Enhance precision' settings in Control Panel/Mouse. I finally got the cursor to the middle using 800,600 by turning off "Enhance" and setting Speed to the 3rd position from Slow.

However, in Aces High this setting failed miserably. The assumptiom must be that AH has it's own mouse control that over-rides Windows.

Oddly, the problem with loss of cursor positioning whilst playing AH seems to have been solved by using the Center pointer speed setting in Windows.

Conclusion :-

The MOUSEXY command can be made to work in Vista x64 but not by using the Foxy wizard because the wizard gives only the position of the cursor relative to screen definition.

The co-ordinates X,Y in the MOUSEXY command do not, unless you are lucky, refer to actual screen co-ordinates except proportionately. e.g. you may need 400, 300 instead of 800,600 to center on a 1600x1200 screen.

If you want to position within a game you may have to work your way to the correct position starting with something like 133,100. Maybe playing around with Cursor speed in AH would help too.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 03:24:54 AM by glacey »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 06:57:39 AM »
No, the game, like any other application, is dependent on Windows to tell us where the cursor is supposed to be.

If you are using any kind of game manager software for a stick, try unloading it.  Get back to the basics.  If you have some mouse software driver loaded, other than the default one that comes with Vista, then unload it as well.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com