Author Topic: Want to play a new WW2 fighter game?  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
Want to play a new WW2 fighter game?
« on: May 21, 2009, 04:28:45 AM »
Turn the enemy Icons off, it takes a while to get use to because everyone is so use to seeing them. But after that its like a whole new game, and I have seen people talk about learning to shoot better well about a month of no icons and your marksmanship will sky rocket. And the only thing I can attribute this to is the fact that with out the luxury of an icon you start judging the distance better and well because you don't actually know what distance you work in a lot closer. It also helps with plane ID and not having that big red icon on the bottom of an aircraft I find myself looking more at the flight of the aircraft then trying to see the distance indicator with the Icons on. I also have noticed that I engage a lot more aircraft because in a way it takes that hesitation out of your thought process, well I'm still weary of the F4U's and 109's up hi because as everyone knows that's an ace looking for easy prey  :D. But anyone looking for a more challenging aspect to the game this would be the perfect solution.     
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Want to play a new WW2 fighter game?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 04:36:37 AM »
Next time I see you and we are allies I'm going to engage you and let you get on my tail.   :devil

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 04:54:05 AM »
Next time I see you and we are allies I'm going to engage you and let you get on my tail.   :devil

I keep the friendly Icons on that would be murder always shooting a friendly not being able to tell them apart :P
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 05:34:04 AM »
Turning off tracers is just as effective for learning to aim, with the added bonus that the cons may not see you, or your shot until he is in his silk.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 06:20:59 AM »
and let you get on my tail.   :devil
you know why I know you're...... :devil

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 08:29:02 AM »
Maybe it's just me ... when I am "engaged" ... I see nothing but the plane(s) and colors (red and green)... I don't rely on icons to tell me what plane I am engaged with, nor do I use/see the distance display. I spend all my energies on watching the wing movement of who I am engaged with and if I were to look at the icon information, I could miss the beginning of an evasive which in turn could cost me the fight.

YMMV.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 08:37:32 AM »
How do you ignore the big red sign above their plane when it's still a dot on your monitor?
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 08:54:16 AM »
How do you ignore the big red sign above their plane when it's still a dot on your monitor?

when I am "engaged"

If a plane is a simple "dot" ... I am not engaged at that point.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 08:56:41 AM »
Ah, ok. But I would still have a hard time ignoring it. :)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline dev1ant

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 11:36:34 AM »
you know why I know you're...... :devil

Good movie  :rofl
Deviant

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 01:00:14 PM »
I never notice it in a fight either, slap, unless the guy is running away.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline stran

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 01:22:47 PM »
i still have to toggle icons just to tell friendly plane type
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 01:26:17 PM by stran »
Squash

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 01:33:13 PM »
Maybe it's just me ... when I am "engaged" ... I see nothing but the plane(s) and colors (red and green)... I don't rely on icons to tell me what plane I am engaged with, nor do I use/see the distance display. I spend all my energies on watching the wing movement of who I am engaged with and if I were to look at the icon information, I could miss the beginning of an evasive which in turn could cost me the fight.

YMMV.
Wow. I had no idea taking note of one number and one abbreviated name required so much energy. Now I know what I've been doing wrong.
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 01:41:14 PM »
I suspect the OP hit % has gone up a little due to him simply playing the game more. I doubt it had anything to do with icons being turned off..  good job Cajunn    :aok
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 01:44:42 PM »
Wow. I had no idea taking note of one number and one abbreviated name required so much energy. Now I know what I've been doing wrong.

Could very well be your problem.
SlapShot - Blue Knights