Author Topic: CV vs Level Bombers  (Read 5350 times)

Offline Clone155

• Silver Member
Re: CV vs Level Bombers
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 12:29:11 PM »
... what? This is probobly the first whine iv ever seen about bombers LEVEL bombing a CV!  :lol All the whines seem to be about the "lanc stukas" dive bombing the CV.

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 12:35:38 PM »
... what? This is probably the first whine iv ever seen about bombers LEVEL bombing a CV!  :lol All the whines seem to be about the "lanc stukas" dive bombing the CV.

Amen to that Clone155 from one nerf the bomber whine to another.

Anyway one thing I think you guys are forgetting is the fact that our buff pilots have 1000's of chances to bomb ships unlike in WWII. Fleets always travel at the same speed unless turning so with practice you can hit just about anything. I will however agree on the flak though, bombers can pass through the ack with little problem, even when moving at just 200mph, yet a 500mph 262 gets nailed on the first burst once it gets in range.

Carry on.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 12:36:19 PM »
Bombers are for clueless noobs, so to keep the clueless noobs playing and paying, they have to be easy mode stupid.  I mean look at the P-38. Sheesh...

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 04:17:21 PM »
This is one of the biggest pet peeves I have about AH2, that being the hyper-accurate BUFFS. But, realistically, if the wind was turned on in the MA, this would all go away.

The ability of one set of bombers to hit a moving CV from 10,000 feet is wildly out of sync with reality.

There are a lot of factors making it ridiculously easy compared to R\the RL war, most of which have been mentioned:

* Easy calibration and hyper-accurate bombsights
* Perfect and uniform ballistics for bombs
* No wind, turbulence, haze, clouds, smoke, or other variations in atmospheric conditions
* Target often not maneuvering
* Targets always move at the same speed and are always the same size (making lead calculation easy)
* Lack of fighter opposition
* Ineffective AA
* Relatively low alt bombing made possible by the previous two factors

OTOH we use CVs in ways that in no way resemble anything that would have been done with them in WW2. Even having (invisible) transports and cruisers getting as close to the beach as our ships routinely do is ahistorical. There's also no need to turn CVs into the wind for flight ops, which is  HUGE advantage.

My pet nitpick: why don't our destroyers have long-range torps? That would certainly discourage passing opposing TFs right through each other.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 04:36:06 PM »
I think that the CV's puffy ack is more in need of change than this...something needs to be changed so it targets either this way:
1.) Bombers
2.) Bomb-laiden Fighters

or simply any plane with a bomb on it.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 05:17:53 PM »
OK thanks guys, and to the bomber guys I didn't see this as a whine but I guess if your ox is getting gored you see it that way.

As for it being "just" a game, I doubt many of us would have played had it just been a game without some basis in real WWII action.

I think "wind" should be put in both for bombing and for takeoffs, an invisible shoreline zone of control should be setup which prevents LARGE ships from approaching (this same zone around the fleets prevents close proxcimity closures of LARGE ships).
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 09:00:25 PM »
They need to slow the CVs down to more accurate speeds... granted, Essex class carriers could move at 32knots but rarely did so so they would have more range. Until the CV speeds are slowed you won't see much divebombing and even less torpedo use.

Yes, I know they have the speed of the CVs up in the game to simulate them turning into the wind but there has to be some happy moderation between cruising speed and giving the damn thing a rooster tail.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 02:10:04 AM »
I believe, (real) CVs always move at full speed when attacked or launch planes.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 03:50:39 AM »
Manual calibration isn't going to make CVs safe from level bombing.  It would only force players to learn a new trick before they go back to the same old thing.  These things might help:

There was full manual calibration in the MA and we saw the results. Wind, bomb dispersion and things that make level bombing less effective lead to only one thing - dive bombing lancasters/B17s. Unless some mechanism that prevents heavy bombers from dive bombing (bomb release from F6 view, restriction on dive angle for release, etc.) is installed, this will happen again.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 04:31:15 AM »
I don't get this, "I want wind" requests. What team should have the advantage?

The Few GFC

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 06:50:05 AM »
I got an idea ....Turn the CV......
999000 <S>

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 07:17:09 AM »
999000 <S>
:rofl :rofl :aok
Lighten up Francis

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 07:46:08 AM »
This is one of the biggest pet peeves I have about AH2, that being the hyper-accurate BUFFS. But, realistically, if the wind was turned on in the MA, this would all go away.

The ability of one set of bombers to hit a moving CV from 10,000 feet is wildly out of sync with reality.
<<sighs>>

looks like another ""i'm pissed, so play my way thread"

even bombing stationary targets we're more accurate than the real buffs were in ww2.

you don't want your cv bombed.....then turn it when the eggs are let loose. pretty simple really.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 07:50:09 AM »
you don't want your cv bombed.....then turn it when the eggs are let loose...

...after which they park it in front of an enemy harbor...

:D

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 07:54:15 AM »
999000 <S>

ssshhhh..........they want to whine, 'cause they lost their cv when they took it within 200 yards of the shore.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)