Author Topic: CV vs Level Bombers  (Read 5356 times)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Re: CV vs Level Bombers
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2009, 05:13:59 PM »
I have sank as many 60 cvs in one tour and yes 7500-8k salvo 14, delay.05 are the key settings I use.

The key to saving a cv is to wait till you here the bombs falling before you turn the group or keep a friendly cap over cv when in harms way.  :salute

Ive battled guys who do this, and the next time I went out to attack it, id drop 1 set of bombs early, just in case they could hear them. It seems to work because the same guy who seemed to turn just as I dropped, did the same at the fake release, giving me the slight change in direction on the bow, in tine to release the rest.

~AoM~

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2009, 10:18:40 PM »
Boxboy: I just get really tired of people trying to justify their desire with "Selective Realism", and then claiming we do not wish to have realism because we do not agree with their desire.

HiTech

I know it's tough to please everyone and I didn't mean to imply your intent when writing the code, I did object to your to tone when you implied I was trying a sneaky way to whine :o

We have been at this a long time Dale you as a player then later a programmer/game producer, and I as a player.  I don't have a high post count because I usually don't run in here and  :cry everytime something doesn't go my way but I just thought the way things are done with cv control going to the best rated player that turning the cv isn't the only answer.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2009, 09:41:51 AM »
"cv isn't the only answer"

Boxboy, you make the assumption there is a problem in your first statement, level bombers was not a tactic used. And continue to with "The only answer" which also implies a problem.

Not to jump on you, but could it be that there really is not a problem?

As we have said, this is not a sim of WWII. It is a game/sim using WWII equipment.

Your request of wanting to eliminate level bombing of ships because it was not done very often in WWII is trying to simulate WWII, not the equipment.

HiTech

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2009, 10:34:06 AM »
I want realism..... the other day on a mission I peed my pants...... I was airborn, nowhere else to go..

:D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2009, 10:35:20 AM »

As we have said, this is not a sim of WWII. It is a game/sim using WWII equipment.

You mean destroying the town, then putting 10 troops in the maproom to capture the airfield wasn't how land was taken in WW2?

The CV's though, are suseptable to 'gamey' features of the game, which I think is the real topic of the thread.

As I've said level bombers at 8k, with a proficeint pilot, will kill the CV every time.  Moving the CV will have little affect, at least for me it doesn't.

Low level bombers will easily kill the CV unless there are people manning the 5"; puffy ack has little to no affect.

Bombers over 8k are extremely hard to kill with 5" guns, at least for me.  Some guys are really good at it, but not enough to make much difference.  A good TA for 5" might make more dead eye 'killers' out there.

At 8k the CV can't move fast enough or manuever to get out of the way of the bomb spread.

Offline RELIC

• Nickel Member
      • http://DFA-Squad.org/
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2009, 10:42:38 AM »
I want realism..... the other day on a mission I peed my pants...... I was airborn, nowhere else to go..

Atta boy!   :lol
DGSII Scenario-2012  352nd FG/487th FS
P-51D "Cold Gin"
Noseart

Offline Ratpack1

• Nickel Member
      • The Ryan Sayer Show @ OnTilt Radio
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2009, 10:33:21 AM »

Thats just because you're old and you sometimes like the warmth. I'm sure the blender plays a part too!  :rofl
When you get where you're going, that's where you are! -Mike Brady
172nd Rabid Dawgs
"The Real" Commander of Awesome (Stick "Ozzie Nelson" Pig)

Offline Ratpack1

• Nickel Member
      • The Ryan Sayer Show @ OnTilt Radio
« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2009, 10:34:37 AM »
IMO CV's should be harder to sink than just 8,000 lbs of bombs. They aren't made of paper last I checked. (Did someone say A6)
When you get where you're going, that's where you are! -Mike Brady
172nd Rabid Dawgs
"The Real" Commander of Awesome (Stick "Ozzie Nelson" Pig)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2009, 01:55:37 PM »
It's very difficult to figure a good setting for CV's.  Some were destroyed with much less than 8000 lbs of ord.  Some took a lot more.

For the upcoming Coral Sea 2009 scenario, I did research on what it took to destroy various ships in WWII, what the various types of weapons had in lbs HE inside them.  The spreadsheet is here for any interested:

http://electraforge.com/brooke/misc/aces_high/ships.xls

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2009, 02:59:31 PM »
It's very difficult to figure a good setting for CV's.  Some were destroyed with much less than 8000 lbs of ord.  Some took a lot more.

For the upcoming Coral Sea 2009 scenario, I did research on what it took to destroy various ships in WWII, what the various types of weapons had in lbs HE inside them.  The spreadsheet is here for any interested:

http://electraforge.com/brooke/misc/aces_high/ships.xls

didn't click oin the link for now....will when i get home though. but.........has anyone taken into account the ordinance stored on the cv's? or the fuel stored onboard for the aircraft?  or the powder stored for the big guns on the cruisers and battleships?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2009, 03:08:16 PM »
IMO CV's should be harder to sink than just 8,000 lbs of bombs. They aren't made of paper last I checked. (Did someone say A6)

Few things -

a) Concussive effects of bombs aren't modelled.
b) If as happened at Midway you hit a CV that has planes taking off nothing happens in AH. There is no collateral damage.
c) Damage on CVs is applied globally, not to the specific area hit.
d) Anything hitting a CV does damage, bomb, cannon round, MG round, torp, tank round (LOL), prob even a pilots sidearm.

Look on the bright side - Right up to a CV is sunk it keeps on steaming and you can launch aircraft.
Want more realism? How about the ability to damage the engines, or close the flightdeck?

Its a give and take.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2009, 03:13:37 PM »
Few things -

a) Concussive effects of bombs aren't modelled.
b) If as happened at Midway you hit a CV that has planes taking off nothing happens in AH. There is no collateral damage.
c) Damage on CVs is applied globally, not to the specific area hit.
d) Anything hitting a CV does damage, bomb, cannon round, MG round, torp, tank round (LOL), prob even a pilots sidearm.

Look on the bright side - Right up to a CV is sunk it keeps on steaming and you can launch aircraft.
Want more realism? How about the ability to damage the engines, or close the flightdeck?

Its a give and take.

i wouldn't laugh about the tank round. a couple of us sat along the shore shooting one with panzers. we did sink it. the dork just kept cruising back n forth, allowing us ample time to get enough rounds in it.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2009, 03:19:23 PM »
i wouldn't laugh about the tank round. a couple of us sat along the shore shooting one with panzers. we did sink it. the dork just kept cruising back n forth, allowing us ample time to get enough rounds in it.

Done it myself, thats why I was laughing about it!

Problem is simple -
Everyone wants to go to the airfield under attack, no-one wants to just sit over the CV on CAP.

The amount of times I've come in at 8k on a CV with enemy planes all over the airfield and not one protecting the CV beggars belief! But oh yeah plenty will chase you once you've sunk it.

So how about it's not a CV/buff problem, but more accurately a player problem.

[edit] Lets not forget a CVs stealth ability - You can park one off an airfield and as long as no-one ups the base doesn't flash! So you can jump in the guns take 90%+ of the town down and no-one is the wiser.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 03:25:23 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2009, 03:23:40 PM »

Maybe when we get killed in game Hitech could fly to our houses, soak us in gasoline, light us on fire then shove a piece of steel into our necks  :aok This would increase the realism a bit I would think  :rock

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2009, 03:52:01 PM »
Done it myself, thats why I was laughing about it!HAHA!! sorry dude...i misinterpreted ya there.......

Problem is simple -
Everyone wants to go to the airfield under attack, no-one wants to just sit over the CV on CAP.well, i would hope no one wants to sit on me. i'm a skinny guy yaknow......it might break me in two.  :rofl

The amount of times I've come in at 8k on a CV with enemy planes all over the airfield and not one protecting the CV beggars belief! But oh yeah plenty will chase you once you've sunk it.

So how about it's not a CV/buff problem, but more accurately a player problem.

[edit] Lets not forget a CVs stealth ability - You can park one off an airfield and as long as no-one ups the base doesn't flash! So you can jump in the guns take 90%+ of the town down and no-one is the wiser.

these last two things you stated.....are probably the truest things said so far in this thread......... :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"