Author Topic: Luftwaffe Spinners  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Luftwaffe Spinners
« on: February 27, 2017, 02:51:48 PM »
Anyone come up with a good way to do the white spiral on the Luftwaffe birds that looks realistically cool in game?
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Luftwaffe Spinners
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 03:06:53 PM »
No good way to do it on a 190, because the spinner is made from one half on the bitmap and just mirrored. I still add diagonal stripes, but it makes tilted ovals on the 3D shapes.

It's easier on the 109's because you have two halves to work with and it is possible to make the stripes lineup.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 04:48:04 PM »
No good way to do it on a 190, because the spinner is made from one half on the bitmap and just mirrored. I still add diagonal stripes, but it makes tilted ovals on the 3D shapes.

Oh wow I never even noticed, good illusion Devil!

I hope they eventually change it to either do a mirror with 90 degree rotation or to function the same as the 109 spinners if it isnt too much coding trouble for how they have it set up. Bigger fish to fry in the meantime.
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 12:31:50 PM »
I have to ask because I don't know the answer.  Why do they paint the spiners like that?
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 03:20:51 PM »
It was a combination of IFF and defense against bomber gunners. That later worked by giving a stark visual cue to the gunner to focus on, and thus not actually hitting his target because he is not leading it properly.

It also probably helped with safety on the ground by identifying when a prop is spinning.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 04:30:48 PM »
It was a combination of IFF and defense against bomber gunners. That later worked by giving a stark visual cue to the gunner to focus on, and thus not actually hitting his target because he is not leading it properly.

It also probably helped with safety on the ground by identifying when a prop is spinning.

What is IFF?

Dose it really work against gunners?  I would think they would have to been real close to see that.  There are two photo I have of 109s props with the spiral effect on them. 

As for the safety part, I was thinking of the same thing.  You see the same on GE, RolyRollis and P&W turbo engineers too.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 04:36:36 PM »
IFF: Identify Friend or Foe
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 05:05:13 PM »
What is IFF?

Dose it really work against gunners?  I would think they would have to been real close to see that.  There are two photo I have of 109s props with the spiral effect on them. 

As for the safety part, I was thinking of the same thing.  You see the same on GE, RolyRollis and P&W turbo engineers too.

That's primarily for bird strike prevention.   It doesn't work as well as other methods though. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 05:32:11 PM »
That's primarily for bird strike prevention.   It doesn't work as well as other methods though.

Really!  Not sure how a object going over 150 mph scared a bird from flying into the plane.   To be honest, I thought it for ground crews and mechanics to see the fan working.   
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 06:13:48 PM »
2 x 190 and 109

Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 06:22:06 PM »
Really!  Not sure how a object going over 150 mph scared a bird from flying into the plane.   To be honest, I thought it for ground crews and mechanics to see the fan working.

The theory is the birds see it and dive away.  They react to it like an eye on a bird of prey. 

Ramp guys use it for other purposes like the obvious: is this thing spooling up or down?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 06:30:30 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)