Author Topic: Call me a geek... but!  (Read 1163 times)

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
Re: Call me a geek... but!
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2009, 02:53:04 AM »
I just picked up The Unkown Battle of Midway by Alvin Kernan. Anybody read it? Supposedly about the Torpedo Squadrons, scored it at HalfPrice books, looks like it might be a good read. Also picked up Miracle at Midway I read it a couple of times in Highschool and did a research paper on Midway, I know its a good read. PLus Soviet Aces of WWII its one of those little OSprey books, should have some good stuff in it.
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline strong10

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2009, 04:54:16 PM »
Allied Fighter Aces: The Air Combat Tactics and Techniques of World War II
  Good compliation of stories about a number of the highest scoring Allied pilots of WW2.  Mainly about the European theater.  Most aces flew the Spit IX.  Highest scoring ace was a South African

Aces High by Bill Yenne is about P-38 combat in the south pacific made me jump online and fly some P38 sorties for awhile.  This is a good historical perspective of 2 American top aces but it lacks real personal detailed info and comprehensive ACM.  I like hearing about the boring flights as well as the exciting one's and what goes through a pilots mind and how they look for the enemy.  It is a book geared more for the general public though it did explain some basic tactics and limited ACM.  They pretty much always went for HO shot's and tried to bounce the enemy from higher altitude. 
I never knew that Charles Lindbergh flew combat sorties over there in P38's and set up the max cruise fuel economy for the fighters. 
Eddie Rickenbacker visited their squadrons as well and was lost at sea for almost a month after ditching!     

Fighting the Flying Circus by Eddie Rickenbacker is awesome.  If you want to hear detailed flight and combat reviews with good older ACM tactics as well as some laugh out loud commentary, this is your book.
  Rickenbackers story telling makes you forget about everything as he transports you to his cockpit.  He is often flying by himself at a bone chilling 20,000 feet at dawn in a rickety old bi-plane looking for enemy planes to shoot down.  There is great detail in this book and you will find yourself often setting down the book and reflecting about the story you just read, imagining yourself there.  Enjoy

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2009, 06:27:27 PM »
Dan:

I have a great book on the B-17 titled B-17 Flying fortress The symbol of Second World War Air Power

part of the Walter J. Boyne Military Aircraft series. It starts with the idea of developing a large bomber.  Starts at the beginning of development

of the B-17 the series, changes, etc.  Great pictures some are in color! The book tracks them to Israels procuring

B-17Gs for their use in 1948 to build their Air Force.

I can send it along if you wish to borrow it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 06:31:08 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -