Author Topic: Weirdest plane...and it's role in AH  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Re: Weirdest plane...and it's role in AH
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 01:19:27 PM »
Of course all I know is what I have read, but I remember the floats adding too much drag and weight to maneuver competitively in a fight.

That is not the reason it was not produced, the original prototypes were drawn up due to the Norway campaign, the IX was due to the war against Japan.

The below makes it appear like you are saying it was cancelled because of the poor flight characteristics, which isn't true AFAIK, more like the tactical necessity disappeared.

Another version not implimented as it killed the flight characteristics.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2009, 01:20:57 PM »
Too bad they never beuilt that float-equipped P-38 for ferrying to the far reaches of the pacific. :)

Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 01:22:34 PM »
XP49

:noid

"The only twelve-engined interceptor in USAAF history."
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 01:39:57 PM »
Or how about the Flugkreisel...

CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2009, 03:13:52 PM »
That is not the reason it was not produced, the original prototypes were drawn up due to the Norway campaign, the IX was due to the war against Japan.

The below makes it appear like you are saying it was cancelled because of the poor flight characteristics, which isn't true AFAIK, more like the tactical necessity disappeared.

Your correct in it's tactical necessity being the reason for not continueing tests and implimentation. Once the island hopping commenced, land bases meant it was no longer required. The point I was making is, it was said that it was just as well because of its' loss of nimbleness in the air.

I'm not familiar with the float planes being tested for Norway. I'm aware of the hurricanes that were sent there via carrier (Glorious IIRC). All were lost when they were evacuated and the CV was sunk by german surface vessels.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 03:23:14 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2009, 05:16:15 PM »
"The only twelve-engined interceptor in USAAF history."

Gee I thought it was what the 38 coulda been!

2x20mm+4x50cals..... all in the nose :t

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2009, 05:24:10 PM »

Gee I thought it was what the 38 coulda been!

2x20mm+4x50cals..... all in the nose :t

They changed what engine it was supposed to have 6 times, and the USAAF did extensive testing with multiple armament packages on the .38- they found that its production loadout of four .50s and a 20mm was ideal. Anything else was either too heavy or too complicated to service to make it viable.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2009, 06:25:46 PM »
Blohm und Voss P.170 (never built)

From the Internet:

This fighter-bomber was designed by Dr. Vogt of Blohm und Voss in 1942, designer of the BV 141 and other asymmetric designs. Although the BV P.170 was of a symmetrical design, it was still unorthodox in appearance. The wing was of constant chord, and contained the ailerons and landing flaps, which were to be constructed of wood or a light metal. Three BMW 801D radial engines (rated at 1600 horsepower each) provided the power; each drove a three-bladed 3.5 m (11' 5") propeller. One engine was located on the front of the main fuselage, while the other two were mounted on wingtip gondolas, each with a single vertical fin and rudder located at the rear. Each engine gondola (including the center fuselage) contained a 2000 liter (528 gallon) fuel tank, which could only feed the engine ahead of it. The two outside engines rotated in opposite directions, to help cancel out excessive torque. The two man crew (pilot and radio operator/ observer/ bombadier) sat in a cockpit located in the extreme rear of the center fuselage, of which there were two main designs. A normal "tail-dragger" undercarriage was fitted, with the exception of there being three main landing gear legs (1015 x 380 mm wheels were to be fitted to each leg), one located just aft of each engine. Each main landing gear leg retracted to the rear into the engine nacelle or main fuselage. 2000 kg (4400 lbs.) of bombs could be carried in underwing mountings. The project's speed was thought to preclude interception, thus no defensive armament was to be fitted.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.