Author Topic: Brewster skins  (Read 4557 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Brewster skins
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 10:08:09 PM »
All said & done there is not that many country's & operational units that were used in combat.

Australia.
Finland.
Great Britain.
Holland.
United States.

The Australians only had two squadrons that were used in combat that I am aware of & those were painted the same as the British.

Oh and very nice job as well Greebo.

Only one squadron for the US if it had to see combat: VMF-221 at Midway. There's really not a lot of options as far as skins for the Brewster go.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 02:39:39 AM »
HTC's guidelines in the sticky skins submission post at the top of the forum says nothing about an aircraft having to had seen combat. The relevant passage says: "We will only accept skins that were historically used in World War II".

Now it is not a hard and fast rule that if it was used in WW2 in any capacity it will be accepted. For instance the garishly coloured lead ships used by USAAF bomber groups are not allowed. A skinner should always get HTC's approval before spending time on a project that is "dodgy". OTOH we have skins of fighters that were used by training units already in the game (one Seafire and several N1Ks).

So USN or Australian based RAAF Brewsters would not necessarily be rejected out of hand. Its certainly worth an email to Skuzzy to find out.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 06:55:44 AM »
Well if that is the case I have plenty of Australian based aircraft. :aok

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 07:09:57 AM »
Ahhhhh crap.... that means I have to fly the bloody thing.

I hate .50cals.

:lol
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 10:52:04 AM »
Would not post Pearl Harbor carrier operations in Hawaiian waters and south of them and the strafing of a Japanese submarine count as combat?

If so then the Navy squadron VF-2 used the Buffalo operationally.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 01:37:18 PM »
IMO any of them in US markings that were on a CV or stationed in a warzone and made at least one sortie on or after 12.7.41 is good enough. Some may disagree with that but as Greebo said nowere does it say the plane had to have seen combat. If it took off looking for trouble then it should be let in game.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 02:18:40 PM »
IMO any of them in US markings that were on a CV or stationed in a warzone and made at least one sortie on or after 12.7.41 is good enough. Some may disagree with that but as Greebo said nowere does it say the plane had to have seen combat. If it took off looking for trouble then it should be let in game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSLlZh9yelk&feature=related

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 02:42:44 PM »
All said & done there is not that many country's & operational units that were used in combat.

Australia.
Finland.
Great Britain.
Holland.
United States.

The Australians only had two squadrons that were used in combat that I am aware of & those were painted the same as the British.

Oh and very nice job as well Greebo.
New Zealand as well. http://www.warbirdforum.com/buff.htm

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 05:43:49 PM »
Only one squadron for the US if it had to see combat: VMF-221 at Midway. There's really not a lot of options as far as skins for the Brewster go.

HTC's guidelines in the sticky skins submission post at the top of the forum says nothing about an aircraft having to had seen combat. The relevant passage says: "We will only accept skins that were historically used in World War II".

Now it is not a hard and fast rule that if it was used in WW2 in any capacity it will be accepted. For instance the garishly coloured lead ships used by USAAF bomber groups are not allowed. A skinner should always get HTC's approval before spending time on a project that is "dodgy". OTOH we have skins of fighters that were used by training units already in the game (one Seafire and several N1Ks).

So USN or Australian based RAAF Brewsters would not necessarily be rejected out of hand. Its certainly worth an email to Skuzzy to find out.

A Brewster F2A-1 Buffalo VF-3 squadron.

When Butch O'Hare finished his naval aviation training on May 2, 1940,he was assigned to USS Saratoga's Fighter Squadron Three (VF-3). O'Hare now trained on the Grumman F3F and then graduated to the Brewster F2A Buffalo. Lieutenant John Thach, then executive officer of VF-3, discovered O'Hare's exceptional flying abilities and closely mentored the promising young pilot. Thach, who would later develop the Thach Weave aerial combat tactic, emphasized gunnery in his training. In 1941, more than half of all VF-3 pilots, including O'Hare, earned the "E" for gunnery excellence.
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 11:32:57 PM »
Ratt,

That's also a pre-war scheme that fell out of use in the US military well before Pearl Harbor. I think they began the shift to blue-gray over light-gray by 1940, and certainly by the time of Pearl Harbor the Navy and Marines had entirely adopted blue-gray over light-gray with the red and white tail stripes.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 11:09:45 AM »
The skins obviously look great, but is there some sort of graphical anomoly there around the cockpit (you can see the wing through the cockpit)?  Or is that something that will get sorted out by the time the final model is published in the update?
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 11:33:16 AM »
The missing cockpit interior is because the cockpit low level of detail stuff hadn't been done when I got the res file I'm currently using. It only reappears when I zoom right in. You can see it has now been sorted on the screenshots on the home page.

BTW Pyro has written back regarding what is an acceptable skin for the Brewster. USN skins are not allowed although VMF-221 skins are OK. RAF, Dutch and RAAF skins are fine as well.

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 12:47:24 PM »
That's too bad.  Brewsters were part of the US Navy at the time of Pearl Harbor, and saw action in the month or so afterwards flying patrols from Carriers and attacking Japanese submarines.

Any hypothetical Pearl Harbor FSO/Scenario would benefit from the US Navy skins.

Funny that they would allow a British P-39 (P-400) skin.  <Shrug>
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:50:34 PM by Fencer51 »
Fencer

Offline Squire

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2009, 12:14:38 AM »
The RAF did use the Airacobra in action with 601 Sqn.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2009, 07:15:19 AM »
One sortie, of 4 aircraft, which shot up a barge.  That was the RAF's only operational sortie.  The Buffalo in US Navy service beats that hands down.  Their game, their call of course.
Fencer