Author Topic: Best car  (Read 1329 times)

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
Re: Best car
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2009, 11:52:20 AM »
not allowed american?

the ac cobra 427.  :D

it's british, but ford(shelby actually) took it and fixed it.

:lol Make sure Carol Shelby doesn't catch you, the only time I saw him seriously anoyed he stated : "There's no such thing as an AC Cobra!" :t
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2009, 12:48:47 PM »
Hurrah! nice to see blokes in US still have balls and are into cars and not getting in touch with there feminine side :rock
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2009, 01:36:16 PM »
:lol Make sure Carol Shelby doesn't catch you, the only time I saw him seriously anoyed he stated : "There's no such thing as an AC Cobra!" :t

Well he's wrong.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »

he's wrong..and i know he brought that combo to us.

but the fact is.....AC Ace. i believe AC motorcars was going under? he brought that body to the US, plunked in a 260, then 289, then the good lole 427 side oiler......thus was born the AC Cobra 427 SC.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline akusher

• Zinc Member
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2009, 01:56:02 PM »
Don't know how you define best, but the one I dream of owning, some day, would have to be this:

Or any of its modern brethren...

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2009, 02:54:34 PM »
he's wrong..and i know he brought that combo to us.

but the fact is.....AC Ace. i believe AC motorcars was going under? he brought that body to the US, plunked in a 260, then 289, then the good lole 427 side oiler......thus was born the AC Cobra 427 SC.

Actually it was a Ford Cobra 427 SC.  There was not much left from the AC once Ford/Shelby got through opening the fender wells, adding a new suspension, redesigning the body pan, new steering, electrical and so on.  The only parts left from the original AC it was derived from, were the outer door skins.

In order to differentiate Cobras today, the "AC" tag is used to refer to the original Cobras.  It was never part of the official name.

AC Bristol made the Ace.  Working from memory here, but I recall the Bristol Ace was raced at Lemans in 1957 and 1958.  With front wheel disc brakes and a 4 speed transmission, they were pretty much a state-of-the-art racing machine.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2009, 02:59:12 PM »
Actually it was a Ford Cobra 427 SC.  There was not much left from the AC once Ford/Shelby got through opening the fender wells, adding a new suspension, redesigning the body pan, new steering, electrical and so on.  The only parts left from the original AC it was derived from, were the outer door skins.

In order to differentiate Cobras today, the "AC" tag is used to refer to the original Cobras.  It was never part of the official name.

AC Bristol made the Ace.  Working from memory here, but I recall the Bristol Ace was raced at Lemans in 1957 and 1958.  With front wheel disc brakes and a 4 speed transmission, they were pretty much a state-of-the-art racing machine.

Your memory is exceptional Skuzz.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2009, 03:11:21 PM »
Your memory is exceptional Skuzz.   

Oh, I dunno about that.  When I worked in Ford's parts department, I was responsible for some parts reclamation, which included the Cobra's and 55-57 Thunderbirds.  I got to know the history of those cars pretty well.

I was also an avid race car fan.

How many people know what the original color of the Cobra was?  It was not blue. :)
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2009, 03:24:37 PM »
Oh, I dunno about that.  When I worked in Ford's parts department, I was responsible for some parts reclamation, which included the Cobra's and 55-57 Thunderbirds.  I got to know the history of those cars pretty well.

How many people know what the original color of the Cobra was?  It was not blue. :)

IT wasn't natural, was it?

if not, then i don't know, as i thought blue was the original.

even in light of your post(which was very informative BTW) it can sort of be counted as not american.  :D

<<<<<<<<<<<<stretching the rules
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2009, 03:54:07 PM »
Yellow (looked green due to pearl content in paint) with white stripes as shown at the auto show when Ford unveiled it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 04:10:45 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2009, 10:49:39 PM »

Mk 1's were all Red weren't they?   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2009, 06:29:17 AM »
The Cobra shown in the 1962 New York auto show was pearl yellow.  That is the first time the public got to see the car.  It had a 260V8 in it and was never raced.  It ended up being a test mule and was eventually parted out.  It would be the only time a Cobra was ever shown in that color.  It was hand built by Shelby in his shop.

The color of the car depended on if it was the race version, or the production version.  The small block race cars were red.  The big block race cars were blue. 

In the production version of the small block car, you had a choice of black or white.
The big block car allowed for rangoon red, gaurdsman blue, ivy green, white, and silver.

There were 13 original AC colors.
gaurdsman blue, dark blue, mist silver, ruby red, canary yellow, light green, rosso chiaro, pure white, mushroom, vineyard green, live oak, sand, and princess blue.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese