Author Topic: Headset recommendations  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Headset recommendations
« on: June 01, 2009, 05:28:14 PM »
Currently, I've been use my Sennheiser HD485 headphones for 3 1/2 years IIRC and a Logitech USB mic stand.  After years of abuse and countless times of getting my foot caught on the headphone cord when getting out of my chair resulting in the headphones falling to the ground...the right speaker went out today.

I think I want to consolidate my desk space and get rid of the USB mic stand and go with an all in one headset.  I need something that is pretty durable but also has good sound and mic quality.  Price is important but I'm looking for some recommendations from members.  Let's keep it with 3.5mm jacks and no USB garbage.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline skullman

• Nickel Member
Re: Headset recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 06:58:16 PM »
Tildeath recomended a plantronics and I really like them.They have good sound quality and squaddies say I sound younger.I cant remember the model or find packing slip but were purchased from newegg
been there destroyed that

Offline CRYPTIC

• Nickel Member
      • 365th-FBG  HELL HAWKS
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 08:13:54 PM »
365th-FBG Hell Hawks XO
365th-FBG Hell Hawks

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 09:31:09 PM »
This is the one I use http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826265065  49.99 and free shipping

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 10:16:18 PM »
This is the one I use http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826265065  49.99 and free shipping

I actually added those to my wish list.  I kind of consider myself an audiophile, how do they hold up in those respects?
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 10:20:28 PM »
Also, whats the difference between this Plantronics GameCom 377 and this Altec Lansing GameCom 377?

I enjoy shopping at Newegg, but I wouldn't mind get it from TigerDirect since it's a next day standard UPS ground ship time, instead of 3 days from CA, TN, NJ from Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826265065

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4522495&CatId=2382

EDIT: I see TigerDirect's picture shows Plantronics logo on the headphones and Plantronics owns Altec Lansing.  I imagine same thing, though I can't find the GameCom 377 on Altec Lansing's website.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 10:23:55 PM by Fulmar »

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 11:17:17 PM »
How about some true 5.1 surround sound headphones? Each ear can has 4 speakers positioned such that you get true (not simulated) surround sound. Assuming your soundcard has 5.1 surround sound output jacks, then you want these:

http://www.medusa-usa.com/medusa-51-home-edition-p-876.html

They run about $110 with the amplifier, and I've been using it for a few years and it is very impressive.

You can really hear someone climbing up from your low 6 with these. Combine it with a track-IR, and as you rotate your head, the sounds rotate around you in real surround sound - most impressive and unbeatable SA.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 11:29:37 PM »
I picked this bad boy up yesterday...

Plantronics
.Audio 655 Stereo Headset

Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 11:42:39 PM »
I'm not a fan of USB powered mics/headsets.  And I've done the wireless thing before, was never impressed with the $100 and under products.  Those Creative HS-1200 use a rechargeable Li-Ion battery.  You'll get 2-3 years out of it and good luck getting a replacement when you need it.  I'm not a proprietary battery type of guy.  If it's not easily replaceable I won't touch it.  AA's and AAA'2 NIMH is the best option for headphones IMO.

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 12:03:20 AM »
I was not into the USB headset myself & I have always gone with the Analog, but I have to say that this one has GREATLY changed my opinion.

Try it out, you can always take it back.

You cannot go wrong with Plantronics.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 12:07:02 AM by RATTFINK »

Offline Scratchman

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 12:05:22 AM »
By far Plantronics Gamecom is my personal recommendation.
Proud member of the Ground Pounders. Pounding our way to victory!

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 07:54:20 PM »
Plantronics headset are made by altec lansing so other than labling I doubt there is a difference between them. :noid

I've owned several sets of plantronics,will continue to own them too. :aok

Offline stran

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 05:26:44 AM »
i have the platronics gamecom. decent headphones, terrible microphone. anyone have better luck with the mic? please share.

edit: this thread got me to put down my generic mic stand and toy around with my headset mic. i had to put the boost up to +30db for good sound pickup, but with static. better than nothing.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 05:31:11 AM by stran »
Squash

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 10:32:53 AM »
How about some true 5.1 surround sound headphones? Each ear can has 4 speakers positioned such that you get true (not simulated) surround sound. Assuming your soundcard has 5.1 surround sound output jacks, then you want these:

Mine are Turtle Beach. Love the surround sound. Great when tanking.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs