Author Topic: WooHoo! The I-16!  (Read 7890 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: WooHoo! The I-16!
« Reply #150 on: June 10, 2009, 07:06:13 PM »

That is like claiming the Spitfire Mk XIV or Bf109K-4 are 1936 and 1935 aircraft.

"History: The first low-wing monoplane fighter with retractable landing gear to enter service, the Polikarpov I-16 was obsolete even before the Second World War began, yet plodded along as the Soviet Union's first line fighter until 1943 when the Red Air Force finally introduced top-notch aircraft to slug it out with the Luftwaffe for the remainder of the war.[/color]

Of advanced design for its time, the I-16 was, none-the-less, an illustration of poor timing, being the fastest of its type when first introduced, highly maneuverable, with excellent climbing speed and roll rate, yet soon outclassed by a newer craft developed by Germany and Japan. While the aircraft performed well against German combat aircraft during the Spanish Civil War (1936 to 1939), and against the Japanese Air Force in Manchuria starting in 1937, by the time Germany invaded the Soviet Union in 1941, the aircraft was outclassed by new generations of enemy fighters. Yet, as the most numerous of the Soviet fighters available at that time, it bore the brunt of the battle for several years.

On the plus side, its simple, rugged construction, all-wood monocoque fuselage and metal wings made the I-16 easy to maintain under frontline conditions, and enabled it to absorb heavy punishment while staying in the fight. In fact, the plane itself was sturdy enough to be used as a ram to destroy enemy aircraft in midair when ammunition ran out in a dogfight.

On the negative side, it had poor longitudinal stability, a tendency to stall in a glide, and was exceedingly temperamental, requiring highly skilled airmanship to perform well and not kill the pilot before the enemy had a shot at him.

Although more than 7,000 of the fighters and their two-seat trainer variants were produced, not more than a handful have survived, with 3 non-flying craft being in museums (two in Russia, one in China). However, at least 6 wrecked I-16's had been restored to flying condition in New Zealand by the end of 1998, all of them Type 24s dating from 1939. At least one was imported to the USA in 1999. "

Nicknames: Yastrebok ("Hawk") or Ishak ("Little Donkey") in Russia. In Spain it was known as the Mosca ("Little Fly") to the Republicans, and Rata ("Rat") to the Nationalists against whom it was flown. It was also called Abu ("Gadfly") by the Japanese.

Specifications (I-16 Type 24):
        Engine: One 1,000-hp M-62 radial piston engine
        Weight: Empty 3,252 lbs., Max Takeoff 4,542 lbs.
        Wing Span: 29ft. 1.5in.
        Length: 19ft. 9.75in.
        Height: 7ft. 10.75in.
        Performance:
            Maximum Speed at 10,000 ft: 304 mph
            Ceiling: 31,070 ft.
            Range: 373 miles
        Armament:
            Four 7.62-mm (0.3-inch) Sh KAS machine guns (Two in forward fuselage; two in wings)
            Up to 441 pounds of bombs or six RS-82 rockets on underwing racks

Number Built:  7,000+

Number Still Airworthy:  6
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #151 on: June 10, 2009, 07:11:28 PM »
I was just thinking. Yanno what this thing looks like?
A midget Jug (P47) LMAO
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #152 on: June 10, 2009, 07:35:44 PM »
Maybe an odd thought... Will the pilots head turn when scanning views

RC

IIRC this was discussed at the last Con as something HTC wanted to develop in the future, for all aircraft.

wrongway

71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #153 on: June 10, 2009, 10:50:57 PM »
IIRC this was discussed at the last Con as something HTC wanted to develop in the future, for all aircraft.

wrongway

Quote from: Pyro
We had our convention this past weekend which gave us the chance to speak with players in person and talk about the future of AH.  We’ve been thinking about how we were going to move forward and came to some conclusions that we decided to announce at the convention.

The main news is that we have decided to put Combat Tour on an indefinite hold.  The reason for this is that we have decided that it is better to steer our development in a way that allows us to implement our CT developments first as part of the regular game.

The way we’ve been going has been like trying to fight a two front war with only one army.  It’s stretched us too thin and has hurt our overall level of productivity.  It also has handcuffed us in a lot of our development decisions by forcing us to indefinitely postpone a lot of other things.

Our biggest obstacle with CT is in breathing life into it to make it fun and immersive.     While a basic structure is there, there’s a ton of detail work to be done to reach that end goal.  Without it, it just has too much of a cardboard cutout feel that’s not going to engage players and hold their attention for long.

What this all means for now is that we are going to focus on core game development.  We’re going to pull the CT AI mission system and redevelop it for use by CM’s in scenarios and special events.  We’re working on new terrain upgrades in both the technology and the art used.  We want to implement a character animation system.  We want to bring back the old 8 player H2H but expand it both in the number of players and with additional gameplay capabilities.  There’s a lot of systems in the game engine that are dated and in need of overhaul.

In hindsight, this is how we should have approached it from the start.  This will keep us heading in the right direction while getting improvements out to our current players and speeding up our development.  It’s really a chance to reboot our process to get back to our old development cycle that saw things moving at a faster pace.

Are you sure that's what they meant, though? My original thought for what this meant was giving the troops a run cycle and maybe having cycling bolts for machine guns.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 11:01:47 PM by Motherland »

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #154 on: June 10, 2009, 11:22:04 PM »
I-16 Polikarpov fighter in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYKD4oD49l4

Jesus! Look at that thing flip and flip around!
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #155 on: June 10, 2009, 11:50:41 PM »
I hope we can get some Chinese National Air Force skins. Should be very interesting with an early China vs Japan set-up.  :aok

Too bad we don't have the right Japanese aircraft. As has been discussed elsewhere, China was mostly if not entirely an IJAAF op, so the Zero is only a substitute. We need:

Ki-43
Ki-21
Ki-27
G3M
G4M-1
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Vadjan-Sama

• Copper Member
« Reply #156 on: June 11, 2009, 12:19:53 AM »
OMG, the RAM'ers got a new all-in-one weapon... really nice plane to add to the Soviet set, wtg HTC  :aok
"I wish people would use the wish list forum to post their brilliant ideas, and be smart enough to not post all their stupid ones.

But I am under no disillusions of my wish ever being fulfilled."

HiTech

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #157 on: June 11, 2009, 12:33:25 AM »
DREDIOCK,
Yes, I know all of that.  But saying the 1941 I-16-24 with a top speed of 304mph is a 1933 aircraft because the I-16-1 with a top speed of 224mph first flew in 1933 is misleading.  That was my point.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Kotari

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #158 on: June 11, 2009, 12:37:59 AM »
Fantastic, WTG HTC  :x

Can´t wait for the Brewster vs I-16 matchup  :rock
-=Die Rammjäger VIII=-
Lentolaivue 34

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults"

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #159 on: June 11, 2009, 01:10:59 AM »
Squueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeal!

Oooooo

Squueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeal!
Retired

Online Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #160 on: June 11, 2009, 01:18:44 AM »
Jesus! Look at that thing flip and flip around!

That would call for a new pair of shorts...

Offline Letalis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #161 on: June 11, 2009, 01:43:18 AM »
With the turn rate, cannon and "sturdy construction" I think I'm looking at the next ace pilot/hotard ride of choice!  :uhoh
Thanks for the new rides Hitech  :salute
NEVER underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
-http://despair.com/demotivators.html

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” -Einstein

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #162 on: June 11, 2009, 01:45:23 AM »
My book says 180 rounds per cannon on the cannon armed versions.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #163 on: June 11, 2009, 02:11:43 AM »
If half of Finland has not joined AHII before this HTC is about to get the other half now.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #164 on: June 11, 2009, 02:45:29 AM »
I hope everyone noticed it's 20 feet long (6.1m) and wingspan is under 30 feet (9m)

ever try to shoot at an rv8 ?

just about the same size.. probably wiggles around almost as much too :)

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.