Author Topic: Battleground Europe  (Read 795 times)

Offline LCCajun

• Nickel Member
Battleground Europe
« on: June 12, 2009, 04:06:23 PM »
Hey guys I am thinking of trying the game out. I have a question should I buy a regular game controller or will my x52 work for it. I want to try the paratrooper role out then move to something else. I appreciate all opinions on the game so please post them. Oh yeah one more thing do they have vox or do u need Teamspeak?
Ingame ID: Cajon

"SlapShot
There is no shame in putting up a good fight and dieing."
"You never know how strong you are til being strong is the only choice you have" Unknown author

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: Battleground Europe
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 04:12:34 PM »
Battleground Europe is WWII Online, isn't it?

Edit; yeah, there're plenty opinions of that game on here. In fact, there is on the front page of general discussion.

From what I gather it's laggy and buggy and it's hard to find action.

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 04:31:17 PM »
Played the 2 week trial. Takes 10 minutes just for it load up onto my computer. Then I get discoed because of my dial up internet.

I didn't like it
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline LCCajun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 04:46:06 PM »
From what I am hearing it isn't first person shooter. I guess it just looks like it on their site.
Ingame ID: Cajon

"SlapShot
There is no shame in putting up a good fight and dieing."
"You never know how strong you are til being strong is the only choice you have" Unknown author

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 06:48:28 PM »
Great Sim!  Give it a try!  I always had fun when playing it!
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 06:53:56 PM »
It is pretty good depending on what you like doing.  As a tank sim, it is amazing.  Aircraft are not even worth bothering with.

Expect to spend most of your time driving or running somewhere, only for the screen to go black and leave you wondering "WTF KILLED ME?!".  Patience should be listed as one of the system requirements.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 07:05:07 PM »
From what I am hearing it isn't first person shooter. I guess it just looks like it on their site.

its a first person shooter.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 11:03:46 PM »
I played BE for 2 years and still do from time to time, its a different beast of FPS...its a total war sim, as in: no kill messages, limited supply at towns, in game ranking system (private, corporal, ect) and so on and so forth

The tank battles are the best you will ever incounter (sorry AH they have you beat in that department).

The air battles are a flop, if your computer can handle it, its definantly worth it...however if your computer isn't up to date it will be a slideshow.

The navy battles are, eh, realistic, and fun when.. (if) you find the enemy.

the FPS part of the game is great, teamwork IS A MUST if you want to survive, and its really the only to have any fun without dieing quickly.

Its very realistic, and a total sim all around, be prepared for long battles, lots of dieing, lots of waiting, and lots of fun.

check out my youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/1epic1

it has a music video for the air part and a short tutorial on infantry and also dive bombing

plan to add more videos in the future, also youtube Battle Ground Europe and watch other videos.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 11:05:36 PM by Flipperk »
It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Offline opposum

• Probation
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 11:54:51 AM »
WWII online really hit the nail on the head, this game is the most realistic in my opinion, my favorite part about this game is that everything seems like its the right size and the damage model they have is amazing,

I really could not ask for a better ww2 simulator than battleground europe

the detail they put into that game is amazing, the terrain is awesome

oh and... their sheep are sexyer than the AH2 sheep  :D ;)

if you are a big time ground pounder WW2OL is for you

opposum

/_|o[____]o
[1---L-OllllllO-
()_)()_)=°°=)_)

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 05:53:59 PM »
the graphics are old but the new engine is coming 'soon' to upgrade them

ground war is without a doubt the best there is in any game. Gameplay > graphics.

air war sucks major butt ( arcadish flight model) but air-ground is fun (its the same as in AH really.. divebombing, level bombing, both difficult and rewarding. The biggest difference from AH though : players in mobile and static AA platforms.. and perhaps a couple dozen infantry in the ground taking potshots at you (and yes, they do bring planes down sometimes.. pilot shots suck!).

paratroops are pure WOOT!

naval war.. is laughable. The ships were rushed into the game to prevent a lawsuit (old OLD stuff lol).

Overall the game is excellent in my opinion. AH beats it with a stick and then some in the air but in the ground WW2OL beats AH and then some.

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 01:01:45 AM »
admittedly I didn't give it much of a chance but I didn't like it, I also suck at and avoid ah ground war. I was born to fly and have no problems with bombing tanks, thats what they are there for.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 05:28:17 PM »
\

air war sucks major butt ( arcadish flight model) but air-ground is fun (its the same as in AH really.. divebombing, level bombing, both difficult and rewarding. The biggest difference from AH though :

there is nothing arcadish about it, as a matter of fact their damage modeling is WAY MORE advanced than AHII,
It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 06:15:28 PM »

there is nothing arcadish about it, as a matter of fact their damage modeling is WAY MORE advanced than AHII,

Damage model is not the same as a flight model and Tac is correct, the flight model in WW2OL is arcadish at best and nowhere close to the better flight model in AH.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 07:45:07 PM »
as a matter of fact their damage modeling is WAY MORE advanced than AHII,
Howso? In fact, there was a thread a little while ago where the OP said how good the damage model for WWIIOL was and how he wishes AH's was similar, and HT said that that was basically the same way they do it in Aces High.
Also, there are youtube videos explaining how to stand on top of Tigers and take on or two shots down the commanders hatch with a Lee-Enfield and the tank explodes. Totally realistic.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 03:53:32 AM »
I would say that the damage model in WW2OL 'feels' more realistic than AH's merely because the flight controls suddenly respond and feel drastically different than in AH because the flight models are so different. That feel is I would call it, rather 'fake' because it is so exaggerated plus the 3d cockpit does add the extra immersion factor that I wish AH had.

But flight engine.. please dont even compare them. WW2OL's is really arcadish and frankly, it doesnt really detract from the fun of the game since there barely are any dogfights higher than 5000ft.

The only things WW2OL does better in the air than AH does is their icon system (which i worship) and the 3d cockpit 'feel' it has.