Author Topic: basic manuvers  (Read 833 times)

Offline Dastrdly

• Copper Member
basic manuvers
« on: June 24, 2009, 02:49:35 PM »
there used to be a page on AH with better diagrams & explanations on the merge.... maybe some one knows of a better set of diagrams than this.

http://library.thinkquest.org/3142/manuv.htm

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
Re: basic manuvers
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 04:32:03 PM »
Here is what I've been putting together off and on for the last 8 years.

Lessons 1 through 24 are relatively complete. Everything else is still on the drawing boards. Most lessons have a film associated. Lessons 17 through 24 address some of the maneuvers addressed in the link you posted.

Dawger's Stage Three page

You will find that many of the lessons are incomplete (placeholders for films mostly that I haven't got a good example of) and I'm sure I haven't chased down all the editing errors.

I'll never finish it because I keep revising the info.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 04:46:38 PM »
Dawger, you could add those write ups to the AHWiki :)
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 09:49:30 PM »
Ty Dast. Dawger.  Much appreciated.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 12:48:42 PM »
Very impressive  DAWGER

A lot of time and effort went into organizing and producing this information for us. It is a culmination of all things important while trying to learn the art of ACM. (Air Combat Maneuvers) Basically, it's a crash course in ACM terminology as well.

I have flown in AH for a few years here and there from 2001 to present and have never seen something like this made that can so easily, but thoroughly describe ACM to our members.

Most every other online ACM training manual that I have read has been long, drawn out, confusing and at times very boring to say the least. The text written here is clear and easy enough for anyone to read and comprehend. When used in conjunction with the images and films provided it can quickly give you a good idea of how to visually handle your sim plane after the first read.

I give it a 5 star must read for any new sim pilot and agree that it should be part of a permanent post either here or linked somewhere on the home page.

Thank you Dawger for providing it  :aok  :rock

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 02:06:42 PM »
I've been working on it for quite a long time. Back in Warbirds it was only a PDF manual (Actually several manuals). They were the companion text for a regular training class I led for several years over there.

When I came to Aces High I had just started on the web version and the Aces High Film Viewer really motivated me. It is a tremendous training tool.

In fact, when I do training sessions now with squad mates we get on voice comms (Teamspeak) and debrief films with each participate reviewing films and stopping at designated points in the film as we discuss various points. it isn't a perfect system but it is a great tool. It would be great if there was some sort of virtual black board folks could log into and the instructor could control what everyone sees and do some simple illustration as a film plays. That's a dream.

As for the content of the pages. I've collected the information over more than a decade and from many different sources. There have been many volunteers, some willing and some not. Very little of the information comes from my own head but there is some original stuff :)

The pages are aimed pretty specifically out my squadron and the way we like to fly but it is useful for any one.

I constantly revise it and update it. I have a planned 41 lessons but have only gotten 24 published on the page. The last 20 or so don't seem to be a priority because most folks don't stick with training long enough to get much past the basic follow on BFM.

I appreciate the kind words and that is all the motivation I need to crank out a lesson or two usually.

I am a big proponent of concentrating on fundamentals and learning in a building block fashion which is why the page is setup in a numerical progression with checkpoints.

I actually have 3 grading levels for each lesson but I only use that with the most dedicated students.

I'd recommend any new player to go through the lessons one by one until basic understanding and proficiency is gained then fly in the arena a few months and then go back through everything again, working to fine tune skills in each one.

As an example, in Lesson 1 Views a basic level is the 17 views and the ability to track a maneuvering bandit 50% of the time, and intermediate level is 80% tracking and advanced level is the ability to predict bandit motion and go to a view before the bandit get in it without losing track of the bandit.

Anyway, thanks for the  endorsement and feel free to let me know if I need to correct something.

Offline tokenjo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 01:38:36 PM »
Imaginationcubed.com.    It's a GE sponsored website, unfortunately can't uplod pictures ?  And limitted to 3 people viewing.   It's a cool site, check it out.

Tokenjo

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 01:57:16 PM »
very cool Dawger :aok