Author Topic: video card frustrations  (Read 350 times)

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
video card frustrations
« on: June 23, 2009, 11:06:38 PM »
Even though I have resolved my recent video card issues I am still looking for a upgrade. The frustration is coming in finding certain info in the tech specs. In particular the power supply  requirements and actual dimensions of the cards. I have even had problems finding the info on the manufacturers sites sometimes. Some times they have it sometimes not. Anyhow I found this chart today that looks like it might be helpful.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/493743.aspx

A question. Are for example all 9600 gt cards the same length or do they vary.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: video card frustrations
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 11:48:12 PM »
They vary by manufacturer.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 08:17:52 AM »
 if you click on the individual card it will take you to the nvidia/ati page for that card.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 08:46:47 AM »
For the most part I don't think you'll have to worry about the physical dimensions.  While the fit may be tight any of them should fit just about any system unless you have a slim case in which case you'll need a low profile card.

The power requirements are about the same for any specific model across manufacturers (at least within 50W).
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 08:57:59 AM »
I don't like charts like that.  Back in the day when video cards didn't require as much power as they do today, you really didn't need to worry about the amps on 12V rails, you could go by the PSU's overall wattage to gauge what you needed.

Now it's much different and PSU manufactureres are quite different as well.  A 500W Joe Blow brand may have 18A on multiple 12V rails while a PC Power & Cooling has 35A on one 12V rail.  That's quite a difference in design respects and power distribution.

Amps are really what are power the card.

Volts x Amps = Watts

When you see Watts on a PSU raiting, that's all the rails (3.3V, 5V, 12V) put together.  You need to dig further to see the Amps that are available on the 12V rail to properly power your card.  If it's under powered you'll either have game shut downs on you, damange done to the card, or it may not even display video out during boot up.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 09:00:10 AM by Fulmar »
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 09:09:49 AM »
Just curious but for example EVGA or ASUS starts to build a card what do they start out with from NVIDIA or ATI?

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 12:43:37 PM »
Just curious but for example EVGA or ASUS starts to build a card what do they start out with from NVIDIA or ATI?

They use their chipsets and design specifications.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.