Author Topic: all this system talk reminds me......  (Read 463 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
all this system talk reminds me......
« on: June 26, 2009, 07:33:18 PM »
that i never posted in here about my new toy.

a few months ago, i got a virus in my old puter. being the stubborn bastage i am, i got it beat...with the help of some of you guys here. once i got it beat, i decided i wanted  a new machine.

i listened to the recommendations of some of you again, and got in touch with tildeath. i'll tell ya what.......he has to be one of the nicest people to deal with on the phone. he pm'd me his phone number, and although i called kinda late(around 10:30 eastern) and he was getting over a cold, he answered his phone. he spent a few minutes with me finding out what my old system was, and if the system he'd build me for what i could afford would improve over what i had. it could, in all pbviousness.

he put together an estimate, and emailed it to me....i liked the way it sounded, so i called him, gave him the go ahead, and was told i'd have my machine on monday. i think that was thursday i talked with him.
 he called me monday, to inform me that somethign happened with the shipping, so it would be to me on wed. it got to me when he said it would. it was packed excellently. it was in a very large box. padded, and then was in the box that the tower came in. it arrived in perfect shape.
 i hooked it up that night, and it already had AH installed, with the hi res pack and all. he spent about a half hour on the phone with me, making sure that everything worked properly in the system, then we went into AH.....to verify all settings were good.

i was amazed at the difference between this computer and my older one. this thing stays pegged at 60FPS no matter what i do in ah. in furballs, where before i'd drop into the 20's....and god forbid there was a tank battle going on below......every time a tank would fire, i'd lock for about 1 to 1.5 seconds. not so oon this system. it's rock steady at 60. rich had warned me that i may experience some "stutter" as skins were downloaded, but i never got that.
 to top this all off, i can run the cd player for some decent music while i'm flying. nothing seems to slow this machine down.
 it is a beautiful machine, and even the wiring inside is routed perfectly...i've never seen that inside a pc before.

now, to hope this system stands up to the new update....i think it will........going to go d/l it now.

what i CAN say though, is that if you guys with the older slower machines are looking for something new, talk to tildeath. his prices are VERY reasonable, and his customer service is well beyond excellent.

ok..time to go d/l.

<<S>> all......and thanks rich..sorry to take so long to post somethign about your work here.......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
Re: all this system talk reminds me......
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 01:49:12 AM »
Well?

How did the beta turn out on your new machine? I'm trying to talk myself into a new computer. Can't decide.
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline Hawk55

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 07:14:19 AM »
Cap, what are some of the specs/hardware on your new machine?
The Lynchmob-Outlaws--HAWK

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 07:44:25 AM »
Well?

How did the beta turn out on your new machine? I'm trying to talk myself into a new computer. Can't decide.

as of last night, i d/l'd it, along with the hi res pack. with my dsl connection, it took both of them only about 8 to 10 minutes to d/l. i installed it, and ran it off-line. i pegged out at 75FPS. it stayed there, regardless of what i did. i set the b24 on fire, then flew behind it. this used to seriously screw with my previous machine, b ut did nothing to this one.
 i went and flew over the town, and wooded areas low alt, and nothing lowered my frame rate. i went to lay down for a few minutes, as it was a rough day yesterday, and promptly passed out....so trying it online wil be tonight or tomorrow night.

this system effin rocks!!
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 07:55:13 AM »
Cap, what are some of the specs/hardware on your new machine?

3ghz intel dual core processor
4 gig of some really fast ram(i can't remember the exact brand or type at the moment)
geforce 9800gtx video card with 512mb of it's own ram

there's some other things done, but again, i can't remember just now........

windows vista. now on that note, i was a bit worried about vista, based on all that i've heard about it. well....it's been 3 or 4 months, and vista has yet to cause any problems.

this system lets me play cd's while i'm flying, if i'm on auto-climb, i alt-tab out into other windows, and cruise the internet(when climbing in buffs), and it is lightning fast.

when i'm doing some of my Civil Air Patrol things, i've had more than 5 different windows open, with no problem.

when i had talked to Rich, i had told him this computers main purpose in life was going to be for AH......and he didn't disappoint.
 the price i paid for it was very very reasonable too........affordable enough for just about anyone in my humble opinion, and i really feel that i got a LOT more for my money from him, than i would've gotten had i gone and tried to buy a machine off the shelf at one of the computer stores...........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Hawk55

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 08:16:38 AM »
Impressive Cap!  I've got most of the same as you (not Vista), but not that amount of processor speed.  I just love the cd deal with music for a long bomber run.  Thanks for the heads up about Rich...I'll be sure to contact him when ready to replace mine.   :salute
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 08:20:47 AM by Hawk55 »
The Lynchmob-Outlaws--HAWK

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 08:21:35 AM »
Impressive Cap!  I've got most of the same as you (not Vista), but not that amount of processor speed.  Thanks for the heads up about Rich...I'll be sure to contact him when ready to replace mine.   :salute

YA...I SHOULD'VE DONE this long ago........

i'm one of the first to whine and piss and moan when something agitates me, so i try to be fair.....when something is really good by me, i'm also the first to praise it/them.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Heretic

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 09:03:47 AM »
Rich is in my squad.    When I told him I was having trouble with my rig he told me what I needed to do and damn.......he was correct.     I called him on the phone as well and we went over my specs on my rig and there are a few things that could use an upgrade.   When things get better money wise and I'm back to 40 hours a week, I'm going to upgrade a few hardware pieces myself.

Rich AKA  TilDeath  won't steer you wrong.