Author Topic: Rise of Flight  (Read 86576 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Rise of Flight
« on: June 25, 2009, 02:45:05 PM »
Just got my copy today in the mail and will be loading it up after work.  Anyone else get it and plan on playing online with it?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Rise of Flight
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 02:55:15 PM »
Grrr, mines still in the mail.

Give us a quick first impression after you've had time to play with it.

Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 03:00:19 PM »
Is that a preorder?  Says it's not released until the 29th.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 03:01:13 PM »

I pre-ordered from GoGamer.

Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 03:45:44 PM »

yeah, pre-ordered from GoGamer.  Expected it to arrive sometime next week as I only picked standard shipping.  Surprised me to have it arrive today via Priority Mail.

ack-ack

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 03:48:25 PM »
pics?

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 05:44:20 PM »
Jason has been busting his hump to get the game out after all the delays.  Now just hope that the Neoqb servers don't go down or you have a pretty $50 coaster.
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 07:34:37 PM »
"never buy or fly the "model A" of anything"

Think I'll wait till all the kinks are discovered and worked out
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 08:55:38 PM »
What is "Rise of Flight"?

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 11:01:59 AM »
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 11:18:34 AM »
From what I hear you can not launch the game unless you have a working connection to the internet.  The game is designed to automatically go check the validity of the individual serial number of your copy against a registered receipt kept on file by the game manufacturer over in Europe every time it is launched.  All to eliminate pirated copies.

I seriously want to purchase the game but I have reservations about purchasing software then not being able to use it without the manufacturers permission every time I want to launch it.

At least that is my understanding of the situation, could be wrong about it.

Game looks great though, and appears to have high fidelity physics and ballistics modeling.  Damned Russians  :t
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 11:28:45 AM »
I seriously want to purchase the game but I have reservations about purchasing software then not being able to use it without the manufacturers permission every time I want to launch it.

But you play Aces High?
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 12:51:26 PM »
Looks like IL2 WWI.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbMl6Fh23Kw

Yeah, it also kind of feels like flying in IL2 as well.  The graphics are amazing and run great on my machine with graphic settings set to high.  The flight model at least to me, is very easy and feels 'arcade' like.  I thought I was going to spend some time getting used to the flight model but my first flight, I was flying that thing like I fly the P-38.  Flying in Rise of Flight is far easier than flying in AH.

The only real issue I have with the game is the view system, it just plain sucks if you don't have TrackIR.  Those with TrackIR will be at a significant advantage over others without it.  The snap view system is worthless and padlock is almost just as worthless.  It really does make it difficult to keep an eye on the bogie and your surroundings, caused me to crash into a barn because the forward snap view wouldn't center properly.

One of the coolest things I've seen so far was when I hit a barn and crashed.  With my Spad just lying in pieces at the foot of the barn, I stepped away from the computer for a smoke.  About a few minutes afterwards, I heard a loud crack and a thump coming from the game.  So I checked it out and when I was away from the computer, the tail section of my wrecked Spad had broken off.  I kept watching and after a few more minutes, I started to see smoke from the wreckage and the smoke got thicker and then finally flames started to emerge and within a few minutes after that, my wreckage was totally engulfed in flames.  Thought that was a really cool eye candy feature.

One other thing that some may find hard at first is the gunnery.  You think nose bounce is bad in AH, it's twenty times worse in RoF.  I can only manage to fire very short bursts (no more than a single 1 second press) before the nose will start to bounce up.  Makes it difficult to keep the nose tracked on the bogie for substained bursts.  Unless you score a pilot kill, small bursts is just not enough to take a plane down, you really do need to put some lead into it to bring it down.

The DRM the game uses is a little draconian in the sense that you have to be online to play, even the single player missions/campaign.  My only gripe with it is if the servers go down for any reason or worst case scenario, the developers go under.  The developers do have a plan in place if they do go under (they'll release a final patch to remove the DRM) but sadly, no plan for temporary server outages. 

The game also features a rather robust mission editor that I was playing around with and I expect a lot of good missions being created by the RoF community.  Don't know if planes can be skinned but I expect if they aren't currently, there will be an upcoming update that will allow it.

A couple of more things.  Controllers.  They are a kind of a pain in the bellybutton to set up properly.  The throttle is inverted (up close throttle, down full throttle) by default and have to go into the input map config file to change it.  I found that the rudders were also inverted and had to change them in the config file as well.  It's really easy to change them, just open the input map file and look for the line that shows the bindings for the joystick throttle control and change the "P" to "N", save file and play.  Another issue was setting the screen resolution.  In the settings section, (at least for me) I didn't see any options to select my screen resolution, the drop down menu was blank.  I had to go into the startup config file and manually set my resolution to 1440x900.   In the settings, you'll see an option for Full Screen.  Make sure that is unchecked, otherwise the game will crash every time you start it up.

Despite some technical issues, somewhat easy flight model and crappy view system, the game is fun.  If you've been looking to scratch that WW1 itch and loved games like Red Baron and Flying Corps, get this game.  The issues are minor and can be worked around and hopefully most will be resolved through a patch. 

ack-ack
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 01:03:03 PM by Ack-Ack »

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 12:51:52 PM »
But you play Aces High?

I do not see the comparrison.  AcesHigh is free to download and play offline without a internet connection anytime I choose without pre approval from HTC servers at program launch.  I can pay to play online if and when I choose to do so.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns