Author Topic: New Typhoon  (Read 3305 times)

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
Re: New Typhoon
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2009, 01:56:09 PM »
Thanks guys, I think I've finally nailed a technique for getting a realistic 'dimpling' effect for riveted surfaces.  One just has to be careful not to over do it, what looks really nice from an exterior shot can look really heavy handed from within the cockpit when you look out over the wings.  Since the cockpit is where we spend most of our time it's taken some experimenting to get a nice balanced effect.  After I finish with this beast I'll have to go back and change all the rivet layers on my Spit templates.

Kazaa, I use GIMP for just about everything except:  Photoshop for drawing the original 'dot' rivet layer, making roundels.  PSP for doing the code letters and serials, just because I'm more used to it's text interface and it makes things faster.  I used to use the other two progs for other things but GIMP has really evolved over the years and it does a lot more things now that it never used to.  Only thing is it doesn't like hyper threading much so it's not totally stable on my machine.  I save my work a LOT!   :)  BTW, what do you mean by 'vent'?
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2009, 02:00:30 PM »
ventrilo
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2009, 03:10:26 PM »
ventrilo

He wants to chat.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2009, 04:53:59 PM »
He wants to chat.

wrongway

Ventrilo has a chat
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2009, 05:04:46 PM »
Ventrilo, it's crystal clear VoIP

I have access to a private server if your able to spare some time to chat.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2009, 10:13:45 PM »
I'll have to look into that, I'm actually not the most tech-savvy person, only got a cell phone a year ago... and after it rang almost non-stop the first few days I remembered why I'd put off getting one for so long  ;)

Finished the wing underside rivets and added some 3D shading to the ailerons and elevators. Tail section rivets done. Tomorrow should see the rivets all completed and then I get to scuff the crap out of it.   :devil

MP131 served with No. 438 (Wildcats) RCAF as F3-J.  Flown by Norm Dawber.  Nose art was provided by the Disney corporation, who has done nose art for many squadrons during many conflicts.

Today 438 Sqn still uses the Wildcat art in it's shoulder patches, like this one for desert use:

https://www.dbembroidery.com/product_info.php?products_id=17189&sid=f5bc4393d818fe5d4dae4491e89c18d5

417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2009, 02:17:47 AM »
Redid the stripes, more of a 'brush stroke' effect added, added underside weathering... ok, time for bed... who needs heroin when you can skin?

417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2009, 02:27:50 AM »
Nice work on the 438 Tiffie Jocko

Greebo did a 438 bird too based on info on a Tiffie pilot who's grave I saw in Normandy and info from Halliday's book on the RCAF Tiffies and Temps.  Would be interesting to see your 438 Tiffie and Greebo's winging up :)

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,266016.0.html
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2009, 04:50:38 AM »
One minor thing you might want to consider Jocko. On most photos of Canadian Typhoons I've seen the bomb rack is painted the same colour as the D Day stripe on the wing. The RCAF squadrons generally used bombs all the time while the RAF squadrons switched between bombs and rockets, more often rockets. So RCAF Typhoons would usually have had the bomb racks already fitted when the stripes were painted on.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2009, 07:34:58 AM »
Generally my way of working is to start with all the base layers...

Well, but for the new aircraft models, you're doing it all from scratch...

Regardless gentlemen, I'm personally jealous of these late AH2 model revisions as they look phenomenal, and are starting to date some of the earlier 2nd models, IMO.  I'm curious though, that if that is the default Typh model, is it 512X512 or 1024X1024?  Greebo, you guys do a great job on these aircraft.

Jocko, awesome effect on the rivet lines and a great looking bird. 
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2009, 09:58:44 AM »
Yeah, there's a good write up about Ted Bugg in Halliday's Typhoon and Tempest , a book which has become invaluable lately and one which I'll be referring to often when I start doing the hard weathering. Lots of great photos.

Speaking of photos, wrt the bomb racks Greebo do you have any shots you can post? So far in every photo I have seen the racks are a neutral colour, presumably Med Sea Grey. Page 71 of Halliday's book has an excellent shot of this. As I'm looking through the book I'm beginning to think my wing stripes are slightly too thin and a bit too far outboard, according to the majority of pics  ;)

Stoney, you're right about scratch work. I tried it on the Lancaster once and just about went mental. Luckily we have great starting references in the form of 1024x1024 default skins for the newer aircraft which makes it much more enjoyable. I made my Spit IX template from a 512 default and it wasn't this much fun...  ;) 

EDIT:  Ok, Greebo I found some shots of the racks being painted black to match the stripes and it confirms my stripes are too far outboard.  Good catch.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 10:17:28 AM by jocko- »
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2009, 12:46:22 PM »
Glad you found something Jocko, I needed to get home before I could check. I was going to suggest the photos on page 613, Vol 4 of the 2nd TAF book series or page 24 of the Squadron Typhoon book.

Incidentally while looking for that I spotted a mistake I made on the default Typhoon skin. The gun barrels are painted the same colour top and bottom, they don't have their lower halves painted in the lighter grey like I have got it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 12:49:14 PM by Greebo »

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
Another other thing I just noticed on this photo. The D Day stripes have been removed down to the yellow stripe outboard of the inner cannon and down to the light grey inboard of the cannon. So you get a slight step in the stripes either side of the inboard cannon. Not sure if all Typhoons were done this way, but it seems to make sense. I'm going to adjust my D Day stripes to this layout.

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2009, 06:12:55 PM »
I did some searching and although I found a couple of pics that do show top and bottom colours on the cannon fairings, the majority of pics show a solid colour, three Ocean Grey and the outer starboard one Dark Green (assuming the aircraft was factory painted).  Another nice catch.  :aok

The yellow ID marking was painted between the cannons as well so the invasion stripes pic might just be the stripes wearing off due to wear and tear on the more accessible areas of the leading edge of the wing.

Et voila, as the French say, I can only assume it means 'I've finally finished those ******* rivets'...

417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2009, 12:30:38 AM »
Out come the whips and chains...

417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG