Author Topic: Saitek X52 and the SST programming software  (Read 7241 times)

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
Saitek X52 and the SST programming software
« on: June 26, 2009, 07:05:09 PM »
I have used the X52 since I started playing and used the saitek SST programming software with no problems with one exception. That problem came when I bought a replacement stick and tried to use the new SST software version 6.0.

First SST v6.0 uses a different format for the profile file. So all my old profiles would not work. The only way was to manually make new profiles and that is just a pain and takes a lot of time.

Second sst v6.0 is much different. It does not have a 3D view. It uses a tabular format for the programming and it is very difficult to figure out what keys do what.

Third, Saitek changed the way the pinkie switch works. They now call it a "clutch" key. This means when you hold it down it allows all the other keys to have a different function. There is no way to put it back to the old way if you use version 6.0. I use the pinkie switch as WEP and didn’t want to change the way I had it set up.

Fourth, the new software is buggy. It kept crashing and just wouldn’t work with my system (windows xp, mid range AMD processor and cheap video card)

The Solution:
All versions of the SST software will work with any Saitek stick. In fact they only make one version of the software for all the controllers they make. This means if you have the X52 PRO you can still use the older versions of the SST software.

I am using SST version 2.0 ( the one with the 3D view and no dumb clutch setting)

This is the link to the saitek sites download page for windows 32 bit:
http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers2.asp
On this page is a link that sais:
XP 32 Software for X52
Saitek_SST_Software_32.exe

I believe this is the older version. Either v1.0 or 2.0 ( the new versions starts at 3.0 and up)

The SST software allows you to easily change the programming and allows the thumb mouse to work as a view key. You can also use multi key programming.

Go to the Saitek site and download the current drivers for your stick. DO NOT use the ones on the cd that ships with the product.

This how to start over with a new install.

1. Go here and follow these instructions for removing any saitek drivers and software.

http://www.saitek.com/uk/supp/saitekUninstall.htm

2. This step is important and if you don’t do it things will still be messed up

To open Device Manager, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.

Look in these categories:

Human interface devices
Keyboards
Mice and other pointing devices

Also search every category for anything saitek related.

Open these and look at what is installed. Right click and look at the properties. Look at the “location”. If it is attached to Saitek DELETE it. Be sure not to delete any of your standard devices. Saitek installs several things so you will have to look at each one.

Delete this as well.
Saitek magic bus

The auto and manual install will still leave these devices in the device manager so you have to do this yourself.

3. Reboot your system.

4. Install the CURRENT drivers you downloaded from Saitek.

5. Reboot

6. Now install the SST version 2.0 software. Follow the instructions. Be patient. It may seem like its hung up but just wait. The system will start installing each thing. There are several. A keyboard, mouse and something else. After it has finished reboot.

Move or copy your backed up profiles into the saitek install directory under “software”

Right click the controller icon on the task bar and select your profile or open the SST software and begin making a new profile.

It also helps to plug your stick into the SAME usb port every time you use it. And do yourself a favor and get a powered USB port. The stick draws a lot of power and can fry out your usb hub on your motherboard if you fly for long periods of time. Plus you will get power spikes to the stick and that will kill your calibration.

Link to my X52 profile. It is in DAT format. You must be using SST v2.0 or older to use this profile.
http://dasmuppets.com/agent360/ah2_profile.dat

And a gift. You can not find this on the net.
Saitek SST Version 2.0 - this is all the files that come on the cd. I just zipped them up. DO NOT use the drivers. Just install the SST software.
It is 200mb and I am only going to keep this link active for a week or so.
http://dasmuppets.com/agent360/sst_v2.zip

Agent360

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
Re: Saitek X52 and the SST programming software
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 08:26:30 PM »
Count down to sticky.
Excellent post agent
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline big-mo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 12:08:57 AM »

Didn't have any of these problems with new version.  No 3d view but easy to figure it out.  You can unhook the "clutch" key and use the pinkie switch for anything you want.  I use it for look up. 

No need to go back a version.  My 2 cents.

-Mo
Big Mo
Rolling Thunder

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 10:01:37 AM »
Im using SST 6.6.2 with no problems.

But it seems no two people have exactly the same experience with it.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 10:17:18 AM »

Third, Saitek changed the way the pinkie switch works. They now call it a "clutch" key. This means when you hold it down it allows all the other keys to have a different function. There is no way to put it back to the old way if you use version 6.0. I use the pinkie switch as WEP and didn’t want to change the way I had it set up.

Fourth, the new software is buggy. It kept crashing and just wouldn’t work with my system (windows xp, mid range AMD processor and cheap video card)

I'm using SST  6.2.2.4 (xp, mid range AMD, cheap video card) and have no issues. Also I have the clutch/pinkie mapped as any other ordinary button for AH, see my earlier post.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 12:23:57 PM »
I have been reading the post on the Saitek X52's and I have been using one since '07 on two different PC's and I can't even load driver updates with it. It makes me wonder why some people have the same issues as I do and others have no issues with software or drivers. I have run it on winXP32 and winXP64 with the same results, and I'm starting to think it might be a conflict with the pre-installed drivers that come with windows for the Saitek products. Last time I tried loading the SST software after I restarted my PC it wouldn't recognize my keyboard or mouse, I ended up having to restore my system. Not realizing it was the SST software, reloaded it and went through the whole experience again and then I realized it was the SST software that caused it. And if I update the drivers it will act up while I'm playing the game, but if I just let windows load it without installing the driver update it works flawlessly without any issues. I don't even have to recalibrate it but maybe once a month and that's usually by choice and not because of issues.   
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 07:03:49 PM »
Caj I know the old drivers used to be like Vampires, hard to get rid of. Saitek used to have a cleaning utility to help those with the same problems you have had. You might want to check with their forum. http://www.saitekforum.com/

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 10:19:07 PM »
As for the SST software there is nothing you cant do in the version 2.0 that you can do in the new software (6.x) Saitek basically broke the golden rule "don't fix it if it ain't broke"

I did a lot of research on it and a lot of people dispise the new version. EVERYONE in the gaming community just hates the new tabular format. The 3D view is just so much easier to program. I dont know why they messed up a good thing.

I could not unhook the clutch in the new version no matter what I did.  The new version of SST just wouldnt work with my system. I had all kind of problems with it. But the biggest problem was having to re make all my profiles. That was unacceptable for me. If you never had a profile it wouldnt matter. Why would a company do that to its customers.

I really think Saitek sucks horribly as a company. There support is just horrible. Their website always goes down.

But I do like the stick and the way it functions from a use standpoint. Its built like a cheap toy but otherwise its good. If they could improve the quality of the stick it would be great. I have had to replace mine twice. There is no way to clean the pots. No way to service it. It's basicaly crap for the price ~ $100 bucks for cheap plastic stick that wares out in 6 months.

If I ever get the money I will buy a CH setup. But the CH stuff although good just doesnt have as many buttons and functions.

The ONLY reason I use it is because it has a seperate throttle and lots of easy to use buttons and dials.

But since I bought the replacement warrenty I only have to pay $25 to get a new one if it craps out. So unitl I cant do that anymore I'm going to keep using it.

If you don't have any problems with the new SST software by all means carry on. Don't fix it if aint broke.

But if any of you are having problems like I had then I hope my post helped.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 11:32:58 PM »
Oh I had to work to "not have any problems" with SST.

For some odd reason SST wouldnt accpet many 2 key stroke commands in AH. For instance somthing mapped Shift/F or like it. I had to go to great lengths to fudge with the AH keyboard mapping to get SST to work in harmony with it. Many commands I had to change to a 1 stroke command in AH/controls to be able to get SST to accept it. Then, even more strangly, 1 mode might accept the command while another SST mode wouldnt. Eventually i got SST to work with all the commands I hold as important to control from the stick/throttle.

But I have a very original set of SST and AH controller/keystroke/map profiles which is why I dont give SST profiles to others. Simply because it wouldnt work with the default AH keyboard control mapping. For the new Beta? I had to go into the keyboard controls and change a bunch of mapping controls so my SST works in it.

So now I have happiness. But it was a long struggle and Im not totally sure I'd buy Saitek again. The only reasons I'd consider it is #A Im used to the software, #B I like all the buttons and the pinkie latch that allows a button to have two separate commands mapped to it.

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 10:01:19 PM »
Problem-
I, like many had many problems with the X52 losing calibration all the time. It started to get more and more frequent as the day went on. A squaddie of mine, Zeffer, was having the same problem that I was having, so he went digging to find the answers.

Solution-
Turns out that in the latest version that AH came out with, had the Force Feedback enabled, and we found out that, that was the major problem to the stick, but that totally didn't solve the problem for me. I tried using a Powered USB hub, from CyberPower. No matter if it was powered or not, the stick would still lose calibration.So what I tried was to go direct into the computer, that was two days ago. Since then I have not been having problems with it losing calibration at all.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline chewiex

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 02:37:12 PM »
Problem-
I, like many had many problems with the X52 losing calibration all the time. It started to get more and more frequent as the day went on. A squaddie of mine, Zeffer, was having the same problem that I was having, so he went digging to find the answers.

Solution-
Turns out that in the latest version that AH came out with, had the Force Feedback enabled, and we found out that, that was the major problem to the stick, but that totally didn't solve the problem for me. I tried using a Powered USB hub, from CyberPower. No matter if it was powered or not, the stick would still lose calibration.So what I tried was to go direct into the computer, that was two days ago. Since then I have not been having problems with it losing calibration at all.

:huh So Bosco....you sayin' you "hard wired" the cable to the computer? :huh Or did you just plug the USB into the computer without the "powered" USB port. I am having same issue and already tried the force feed-back stuff.
A8Chustr (Formerly A8Chewey, DasChewy) ..for a wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven. Such is the rule of honor. Lamb of God, Omerta from "Ashes of the Wake".

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 03:05:19 PM »
:huh So Bosco....you sayin' you "hard wired" the cable to the computer? :huh Or did you just plug the USB into the computer without the "powered" USB port. I am having same issue and already tried the force feed-back stuff.

Uninstall everything for the X52, drivers, SST software, everything and restart your PC and let Windows or what ever OS your using to set it up as a Regular Joystick. I think that's what Bosco is trying to say.......that's what I did and it works perfect, no problems since!
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 06:38:48 PM »
I just mapped my whole controller by hand how do I backup my settings?

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 07:27:30 PM »
Just plug the USB directly into the Comp. USB port.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 09:03:28 PM »
Uninstall everything for the X52, drivers, SST software, everything and restart your PC and let Windows or what ever OS your using to set it up as a Regular Joystick. I think that's what Bosco is trying to say.......that's what I did and it works perfect, no problems since!

I tried SST..  When I upgraded to Saitek's drivers instead of the driver included with XP, several of the buttons on both stick and throttle were no longer present either in the calibration screen of XP or the set up in AH..
It was a pain in the arse to get rid of the drivers and I've been using the drivers included with XP since..

The only issue when I use the XP included drivers is that the LCD screen on the throttle doesn't light up, but the rest of the buttons do.. 
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"