Author Topic: On the sidelines for a few days....  (Read 787 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
On the sidelines for a few days....
« on: August 29, 2001, 08:36:00 AM »
Having nothing but trouble with the cable modem as of late and pretty much told the jerk I dealt with at tech support to take their crappy little black box and shove it where the sun don't shine.  Paying premium rates for a sluggish service doesn't appeal to me, so we're are either going to grab a dialup account today (ewww!) or see what offerings there are for DSL or Dish connectivity.

I already have a satellite system through dish network and love it.  I do not think satellite connectivity is very friendly to online games (is it?).

So anyways, if you note one less Lancaster in the arena tonight, that's why  :(  I just couldn't see paying $51 a month for shoddy service, whacked billing and 2 hour hold times to customer service or tech support.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2001, 09:17:00 AM »
I already have a satellite system through dish network and love it. I do not think satellite connectivity is very friendly to online games (is it?).

Nope, not even close. A 56K modem works very well in AH though if you can find a dialup.

DSL works pretty decent. The dish is NOT a option.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2001, 09:44:00 AM »
I left a message in the Connectivity Room as well asking that.  Pretty much what I figured.

I'm just tired of paying a premium for lousy service.

I've just activated a dialup account, I'm just trying to remember if the desktop still has a modem in it!  I have a spare 3Com external 56k modem lying around, good thing!

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2001, 09:58:00 AM »
SatConnections have quite big latency time (no wonder...) and good "hardware" modem like yours is almost as good in gameing use than "Diesel". Depends of your choice of ISP of course.
DSL reports could be good address to search info about ISPs.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2001, 10:38:00 AM »
LePaul, ask the ISP's you are going to contact who they use for thier backbone connections as well.
Avoid the ones thet use Sprint for thier backbones.  Also ask the ISP if they maintain thier own equipment or if they are leasing the dial-ups from someone else.  The ones that use someone else will not have the quality of support you might want.  Thet also do not have direct control over thier dial-up equipment, which is a problem in my opinion.

In your part of the country (Maine?), BBNPlanet/Genuity and PSINet have the best backbones.  So if you find an ISP using either of them, then you should be golden to AH and the Internet.
If you are going to use a 3Com modem, ask the ISP if they are using 3Com Total Control terminals servers.  If they are, you probably will get a more stable connect.

Hope that helps.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline AN

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2001, 10:54:00 AM »
Arrrrgggghhhh PSINet!  

For many people who used to try to play AW on Gamestorm a couple years ago, PSINet is a dirty word.

anRky

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2001, 12:40:00 PM »
Well AN, I did some testing, as I do all the time, of the above mentioned backbones adn really have not seen a problem from here through PSINet's backbone.
Could be the other service you mentioned had some bad routes to/through PSINet.  From here, the routes look pretty good and seem to be pretty stable.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline AN

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2001, 01:20:00 PM »
Right now, and for AH, PSINet might be the best, I don't know.

But for over a year, I think, Gamestorm was using PSINet for their service, and it sucked for many many people who wanted to play AW.

And since they caused me so much aggrivation, I like to bad-mouth them whenever I can  :)

anRky

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2001, 01:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by LePaul:
...and pretty much told the jerk I dealt with at tech support to take their crappy little black box and shove it where the sun don't shine...

lol - i can almost hear the maine accent in that one.  :D

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2001, 07:45:00 PM »
Ayuh!  Guilty as charged!

<Actually, I do not have a Maine accent!  Born and raised here, must be something to do with having all my teeth?  :D  >