Author Topic: A real challenge...  (Read 1157 times)

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
A real challenge...
« on: June 30, 2009, 03:50:53 PM »
For consideration by the CMs

How about turning on friendly collisions for a scenario. That would give a different since of realism. A more thoughtful and controlled battle approach and it would cut down on the MA style Malays.

What do you think?

Redtail7
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Re: A real challenge...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 07:02:52 PM »
Have you considered how long it would take to individually spawn 200+ players one at a time?
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 09:14:12 PM »
Have you considered how long it would take to individually spawn 200+ players one at a time?

That is a good point... So how would we work around that?
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 09:28:22 PM »
The workaround is to turn them off. Any number of times during a frame folks can take off, land, rearm, taxi to and from hotpads, assemble on runways, and have other squads flying through them as they're doing this.

It's 100% impractical to turn friendly collisions on.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 11:38:27 PM »
Not to mention, it would require dedicated ATCs at each field. I'm not sure this one is feasible, the amount of work it would take to add so little immersion would be counter productive imho.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 12:33:17 AM »
Redtail, perhaps a wish in the wishlist forum indicating a modification to the "friendly collisions" option such that friendly collisions are ignored when a plane is on the ground, or perhaps a 30 second delay to planes that recently spawned, disabling collisions in that time period, would be a good idea.

This would allow players to pay extra attention while flying in scenarios when CMs choose to enable friendly collisions, while removing the need for an ATC in the tower coordinating player spawns.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 02:52:06 AM »
Redtail, perhaps a wish in the wishlist forum indicating a modification to the "friendly collisions" option such that friendly collisions are ignored when a plane is on the ground, or perhaps a 30 second delay to planes that recently spawned, disabling collisions in that time period, would be a good idea.

This would allow players to pay extra attention while flying in scenarios when CMs choose to enable friendly collisions, while removing the need for an ATC in the tower coordinating player spawns.

A long time ago, we tried that wish didnt we kermy? I still support it, warping into your wingman would suck tho.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline EagleEyes

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/bassim
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 12:28:35 PM »
If this wasnt a CV on CV fight id say go for it.  But with the number of guys upping from one cv, itll take an hour to just to get everyone up!
Joedog31

GL IV./JG4 for Red Storm Krupp Steel
***The Flying Circus*** MA
334th FS "The Eagles" - FSO

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 01:31:36 PM »

Kermit,

All of your thoughts here seem completely plausible. I believe this would offer more than just a obscure challenge. We often seek out the best fighter pilot. Well, how about the one that possess really good airmanship as well as combat prose. It would interesting to see. Thanks for your comments.

<S>