Author Topic: Vista, Alt - Tab, and d3d9.dll  (Read 418 times)

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
Vista, Alt - Tab, and d3d9.dll
« on: July 18, 2009, 07:38:21 PM »
Hi All!

For some reason I can't used Alt Tab to drop out of the game on Vista. When I do a log of the error, I get this:

aceshigh.exe
   48e39e54
   d3d9.dll
   47893e1d
   c0000005
   00004b61
   a54
   01ca077988d4f795

Now isn't the d3d9.dll a DirectX 9 file? Vista is DirectX10 system? Why would it be looking for this? Do I need to install DirectX 9? Seems odd as it should be backwards compatible?

Thanks!
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline Wayout

• Silver Member
Re: Vista, Alt - Tab, and d3d9.dll
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 08:16:26 PM »
From the following website.

"The d3d9.dll error message could apply to any program that utilizes Microsoft DirectX, most commonly video games.

Any of Microsoft's operating systems since Windows 98 may be effected by d3d9.dll and other DirectX issues. This includes Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Windows 2000.

Restart your computer if you haven't yet.

The d3d9.dll error might be a fluke and a simple restart could clear it up completely."

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/d3d9-dll-not-found-missing-error.htm

For most people the sky is the limit.  For a pilot the sky is home.

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 08:49:17 PM »
Thanks Wayout!

Actually it happens every time I try to Alt Tab. I want to figure out how to make it work so I can adjust my soundcard when playing, which I can't do now because it does an APPCRASH every time.

I might try the other solutions in that article though.

Thanks again!
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 03:49:27 AM »
Just as a note, the version number of DirectX as a whole is really moot. Each piece of it (DirectInput, Direct3D, DirectSound, ect...) are all in different numbered stages. I believe (though I could easily be mistaken) that "DirectX 10" still uses Direct3D 9, hence the .dll.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Wayout

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 06:13:45 AM »
I want to figure out how to make it work so I can adjust my soundcard when playing, which I can't do now because it does an APPCRASH every time.

A quick and easy work-around is to quickly hit the "Shift" key 5 times.  This will minimize the AH window and open another window named "Sticky Keys".  Close the "Sticky Keys" window and you'll be sitting at your desktop.  Try it now, as you read this post.  It doesn't minimize the forum window like it will the AH window but you'll be able to get an idea how it works.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 06:15:55 AM »
That will still drop the window to the background, which is what seems to be causing the crash. I don't see what difference that would make, but you never know I suppose.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Wayout

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 06:52:09 AM »
That will still drop the window to the background, which is what seems to be causing the crash. I don't see what difference that would make, but you never know I suppose.

D'OH!!!  You are right.  I didn't think that one through.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 09:49:42 AM »
Have you tested to see if a reinstall of the game outside of the, "Program Files" folder will fix the problem?
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 10:58:07 AM »
Actually the game is installed to the recommended directory, Games/Aces High II.

Thanks!
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 11:01:18 AM »
I would suspect video card driver, or virus/spyware/malware to be the issue.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 12:55:27 AM »
I think he has a mix of video drivers and a bloated software bin of audio apps and extensions.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.