Author Topic: DSL ver CABLE  (Read 3141 times)

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
DSL ver CABLE
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2000, 06:16:00 AM »
Have had DSL since starting AH.  I'd highly recommend it, if you can afford it.

------------------
leonid, Komandir
5 GIAP VVS RKKA

"Our cause is just.  The enemy will be crushed.  Victory will be ours."
ingame: Raz

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
DSL ver CABLE
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2000, 11:23:00 AM »
I've had cable for over three years, (@home), and various dsl's, from 1.5-7 megabits down/1.5 up for about a year.  The price for a 2.5 meg dsl and 10 mbit/at the node cable is the same in my city.

My cable has wildly fluctuating pings, like consistent 10 ms when pining www for about 5 attempts, then 1000 ms, 500ms, it bounces all over the place.  

My dsl gets page after page of 11 ms resulsts.  

Dsl is more stable and consistent, but even my 7 meg dsl never downloaded as fast as my cable.  Fastest I've seen using downloadaccelerator (www.lidan.com) on cable is 1.1 meg/sec.  Fastest on my best dsl connection was 450 kps.  

If all you do is surf, get cable.  If you are serious about gaming, get a fast dsl or a frac t1 or better.

I've had some legendary arguments with @home, even made the news, and their service here sucks IMO, but we were the first city to have it, and now that everyone's got it, their bandwidth has gone down the toilet.

Do some research into your broadband provider, especially the number of users for cable in your area, and your distance to the central office (wire center) for your telco.  These are the most important factors regarding cable/dsl performance respectively.

Or you can just go to MIT like the clowns in my CS clan and have an OC3 at your fingertips 24/7.  God I wish I was 18 again, if only for that huge bandwidth the schools have now

[This message has been edited by Gman (edited 03-23-2000).]

Offline ygsmilo

• Silver Member
DSL ver CABLE
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2000, 11:39:00 AM »
Thanks for your comments Rude.

------------------
Milo

"A MiG on your 6 is better than no MiG at all"

JG2 "Richthofen"

CANNON

DSL ver CABLE
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2000, 12:17:00 PM »
 SW Bell  has that 39 buck offer here in spring tx. Should have the lines in a month or 2. Sounds like the way to go. After about 19 disco,s last night, and following a 205 around pinging him about 10 times for nothing. im nconvinced my connex are hopeless.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
DSL ver CABLE
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2000, 12:36:00 PM »
Well my DSL line is up & running.
From US west, megabit deluxe service constant on, 24/7 30$ 272k up & 256k down. Blistering web page loads & downloads. About to try flying with it.

Thanks for the Help Doctor Yo, ended up plugging into my network router & setting static ip's for each machine. Working fine so far.

------------------
Maj Ghosth
XO 332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
DSL ver CABLE
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2000, 07:41:00 PM »
I Would say that if you're going to be playing multiplayer games, ADSL would be better.
ADSL has more stable ping times and less packet losses than cable modem might have.
(of course cable modems capabilities depends alot on its areal use)
Sometimes I've seen planes do little small warps (i really mean small, but enough to warp pass your bullets in a turn) regulary, found out that it's always been cable modem user..
Though, that might have something to do with packet sizes, im not expert with this though  

But these are my experiences..

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
DSL ver CABLE
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2000, 03:12:00 AM »
i've got ADSL since just before AH came out .. i've had my share of dumps but only 1 or 2 were ISP related and that only during times when they had announced that dumos may occure because of network upgrading and such ..

I'm usually getting 180ms ping from Europe -> was used to see 800 at best.. had to completely re-think deflection shooting  

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
DSL ver CABLE
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2000, 01:25:00 PM »

Originally posted by Duckwing6:

I'm usually getting 180ms ping from Europe -> was used to see 800 at best.. had to completely re-think deflection shooting  

re-think deflectinon shooting?
But lag doesn't affect on plane movement at all unless it's going warping.
Hits happens in your FE, theres just delay WHEN hits effects, due to net lag.
so, your hits did before effect after a second (include here also lag of your opponent, which might make it even more)

So not even 50ms should make it much different, just effects shows alot quicker  

I had 270-330ms with 33.6k from europe..