Author Topic: XFX 9800GT Troubles  (Read 347 times)

Offline Toof

• Copper Member
XFX 9800GT Troubles
« on: July 16, 2009, 04:24:20 PM »
Heya guys.

I think my video card may be fried, after only 6 months of use. It's an XFX 9800GT and has worked flawlessly since I put it in. The other day it was working fine, I cut it off for a few hours to watch some TV, came back up and powered the computer on. No Signal. The computer itself is working fine (thank goodness...don't have the $$ to get a new one) but for some reason windows XP isn't seeing my 9800GT. I'm going to be doing to "power off, remove hardware, power on" dance here in a few, but I was mainly wondering if my card is in fact fried, if any of you have ever dealt with XFX's warranty support.

Any suggestions or info on something I may be overlooking is much appreciated.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Re: XFX 9800GT Troubles
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 04:55:41 PM »
Can you see anything on the screen when starting up? BIOS information, loading screens, etc...? Have you checked to see if the monitor's cable is firmly connected to the video card?

I've never dealt with XFX's support/customer service department. I would rather fix the issue than RMA the card.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Toof

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
Everything is connected and secured as it should be. My computer has moved maybe once in the last year. I popped out the card and rebooted a moment ago, I now have it back in the case. Can hear the fan spinning, so I know it's not full-blown dead. It's just not putting out any signals via DVI. I'm D-Sub'bing my onboard video at the moment...yuck. I'll give re-installing XFX's software a go, can't hurt. Just blows my mind that all the sudden the "graphics card went out" after I had been using int (not flogging it, watching a movie) just 2-3 hours before it decided to "quit" on me.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 05:16:55 PM »
Hardware will occasionally go out on you without a warning. Thus the rule about backing up important data on your hard-drives.

A general question. Did you have all your components hooked up to a Surge Protector/Suppressor (not a power-strip)?
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Toof

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 05:29:10 PM »
My whole rig is hooked up to a Surge protecting power strip. Haven't had any noticeable anomalies with the power as of late. I had used it 2-3 hours before it crapped out on me, worked fine. Has been stable as a rock since I put the card in last December. So it's been in around 6 months with no sort of hassle whatsoever. It's plugged in at the moment, the fan is running, but Windows XP doesn't show it under the device manager. SiSoft Sandra just shows my on board video as well. I went ahead and put in a ticket with XFX, glad I registered the thing :| Now if I could find my original XFX driver CD to see if that would do any good....6 months seems like a really quick lifespan for a video card. I've yet to have one blow up on me, and I've been doing the PC gaming thing since Voodoo/3DFx was king  :cool:

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 05:32:33 PM »
Ensure that the power cable is firmly plugged into the card.

Try resetting the BIOS settings, look for PCI or AGP as the priority video card if that option is available.

Try using the other DVI connector.  I assume your card had 2 DVIs.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 05:34:26 PM by Kermit de frog »
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 05:52:50 PM »
Don't forget to check out the PSU.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 05:57:27 PM »
I believe the 9800gtx needs at least a 500 psu.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 06:25:44 PM »
Off subject question, Toof, do you play Evony?
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Toof

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 10:36:22 PM »
Negative Dragon, never heard of it. Plus side to the card issue is that I received my RMA number literally minutes after submitting the ticket. Guess it's back to my tried and true 7900gs until I get my 9800 back :(It still strikes me as odd that the fan still spools up. Seems like it died, it would flat out quit functioning.

Offline Toof

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 10:40:16 PM »
Well, I did locate my driver CD.....gonna give that a whirl before I give up hope completely.

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 10:41:07 PM »
Not really, there could easily be something wrong with the GPU chip or Memory and the fan would continue to work. Though if the fan wasn't working that would be an issue in itself...
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil