Author Topic: Mech Warrior is back!  (Read 4430 times)

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
Re: Mech Warrior is back!
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2009, 03:08:57 AM »
MPBT 3025?  *Sigh* I really did like that game, shame Microsoft bullied EA into pulling the plug and never letting it see the light of day out of closed beta.

ack-ack

Yassir . the limited time we had in ALpha showed a pretty sweet lookin game in the Unreal world engine ..and it would have just gotten better.
Immersive, you bet ..would have loved to develope it into todays tech ..we had it man .. the moves, the mechs, -sigh- ..was a damn shame.

-GE
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2009, 10:27:58 AM »
This relaunch of MechWarrior will apparently have a four-player co-op campaign. You can be Lance-mates with your buddies!  :pray
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline DKL

• Zinc Member
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2009, 10:52:32 AM »
PFactorDave

I was the general manager at the Chicago Battletech center for last 5 months before VWE closed it down.Was fun place to work at.
Some of us Chicago players bought a full set of 8 pods and still play them. http://www.virtualworld.com/

My one concern for this game is if they do a cross console style game then it will be nothing but another arcade game.

Also for those who are looking for the "unforseen mechs" like the warhammer,rifleman,marauder and so on,Smith and Tinker who is doing this game now
have the rights to use them.

DL

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2009, 02:45:03 PM »
Yassir . the limited time we had in ALpha showed a pretty sweet lookin game in the Unreal world engine ..and it would have just gotten better.
Immersive, you bet ..would have loved to develope it into todays tech ..we had it man .. the moves, the mechs, -sigh- ..was a damn shame.

-GE

It was using the unreal engine?  I though it used the engine Kelton made for AW4?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2009, 03:41:29 PM »

I was the general manager at the Chicago Battletech center for last 5 months before VWE closed it down.Was fun place to work at.
Some of us Chicago players bought a full set of 8 pods and still play them. http://www.virtualworld.com/

That's very cool.  There was a group of about 12 of us, twice a month we would play Paintball, or if the weather looked questionable we'd roadtrip up for some BattleTech Center action.  Definitely one of the high points of my gaming life!

My one concern for this game is if they do a cross console style game then it will be nothing but another arcade game.

That would really be too bad.  There is so much potential for a very deep, very complex game.  I would really hate to see it get dumbed down to console level.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2009, 04:17:43 PM »
At least the Atlas looks like its supposed to- skullheaded walking death.

Now if only they'll get the mele combat accurate in this incarnation.

AND GIVE ME MY AXMAN!!!
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »
Melee combat? You freebirth surat!
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2009, 04:32:02 PM »
Its set in the Succession Wars. No Clanner Scum allowed. :P
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2009, 04:52:36 PM »
I think Jamie Wolf and his dragoons disagrees with that!   :cool:

-Gandhi

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2009, 05:16:17 PM »
From a closed beta about 10 years ago.

These screen and media shots were from the MPBT 3025 closed beta.  Kesmai was developing the game for EA but MS forced EA to pull the plug on it once Microsoft became worried that it might take away from the MechWarrior box sales and TheZone subscriptions.  It was a great game and had fully destructable enviroments.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2009, 05:21:24 PM »
I think Jamie Wolf and his dragoons disagrees with that!   :cool:

Wondered how long it would take someone to remember that. You didn't disappoint. :)

Though I was never a fan of the Dragoons (despite their name), they were just one step below the Grey Death Legion on my personal Scale of Munch.

Of course, this coming from an old FedCom diehard...

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2009, 05:56:56 PM »
Yeah Greyson Death and his Legion were my favorite unit too. Quite possibly because the BT novels started out with them. Second place goes to the Kell Hounds, and third to the Northwind Highlanders. The Dragoons gets an honorable mention; didn't pay them much attention until the clan wars.

-Gandhi

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2009, 10:12:53 PM »
Is there a good website where they have the story/history of the mechwarrior universe posted at?  While I've played a couple of the games off and on I never really delved into the back story too much but I'm a little intrigued to learn more at this point.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2009, 10:33:24 PM »
There are scores of source books and more than a hundred novels. The Battletech universe is as big, or bigger, than Star Wars or Star Trek... Though no movies... Yet. ;)

Here's a good place to start: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

-Gandhi

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2009, 10:56:40 PM »
It was Mechcommander instead of Mechwarrior, but i think it had the best intro of all the games. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MQPWE_M_EM&feature=related

enjoy.