Author Topic: SdKfz 251/22 PAK-40 Modification  (Read 2395 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: SdKfz 251/22 PAK-40 Modification
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2009, 06:51:59 PM »
With the extra speed over the Panzer and the higher ENY I could see this getting more use than the current SdK.

I use the current version at least a couple of times per camp.  It will absolutely destroy a strat factory and get there a lot faster than any other vehicle option with a reasonable ord loadout.  6x rockets + 4x supplies gives you 30 rockets plus two machine guns.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2009, 07:25:41 PM »
Heck man, I'd love to see the whole 251 family in the game...
Combined with the troop carriers, and rocket shooters we already have...

251/7, Pioneer vehicle, 3.7cm Pak, (packing explosives for command
detonation mines, and possibly the goliath) also carried treadway spans
for crossing AT diches, (if we ever get them, or bridges, in the game)..

251/9, 7.5cm howitzer, (fired HESH for AT work, as well as HE)..

AND YES, the 251/22 (Fast movin, heavy hitting, as stated earlier)

It this way we could have a whole Panzergrenadier Battalion on the field...
That would be COOL AS HELL!!! :rock

RC

Oh, Forgot the "Drilling" AA version as well
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 07:39:18 PM by RipChord929 »
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline sirvlad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2009, 09:52:16 AM »
Last week I used the Sdkfz to take a port,it was already deacked,as I drove up I was fired at by a sherman.With some well timed turns I was able to dodge his fire and when I got close enough I blasted him with the rockets.He exploded and then I drove to map room and let out my troops.I captured the base befor he could get back out enough to fire at me. I towered out hopped in a m-16 peeked around the corner and there was that sherman again,so I tracked him real quick,towered out and let the ack tear him to pieces.I was laughing my !$@ off and I know he had to be hating it. That was only the 3rd time I`ve been able to kill a tank with the Sdkfz.One of those was a dr7 tiger,but thats another story.  :salute

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2009, 11:38:25 AM »
Yes the addition of an anti tank gun on the sdkfz 251 would be good thing to have. As it is now I can't see much use for the 251s since the M-3 is so much faster and not much easier to kill. Anti air craft guns package for the 251 would also be a good thing.

R-105

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2009, 12:44:04 PM »
Yes, I stand corrected that is a 75mm Anti-Tank artillery piece. Even better! Well, think of it like this, self propelled artillery was never meant to go toe to toe with tanks. It sits off in the distance and PICKS its enemies apart. The ENY value on a Panzer IV is 25. The ENY value on a SdKfz 251 is 40. I see some nice points there as well as getting a nice thought more playing time in the MA. :aok

:salute Greebo "Nice F6F Skills"...

The Sdkfz 251/22 was used in the anti-tank role, it wasn't used as mobile artillery.  The Sdkfz 251/9 was used as mobile artillery and fielded a low-velocity 75mm gun and the Sdkfz 251/2 was the mortar carrying version.

BTW- if you want mobile artillery in the game now we already have it in the LVT4 with the short barrel 75mm howitzer that is easily capable of laying down an artillery barrage from a distance on any target.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2009, 12:04:51 PM »
The Sdkfz 251/22 was used in the anti-tank role, it wasn't used as mobile artillery.  The Sdkfz 251/9 was used as mobile artillery and fielded a low-velocity 75mm gun and the Sdkfz 251/2 was the mortar carrying version.

BTW- if you want mobile artillery in the game now we already have it in the LVT4 with the short barrel 75mm howitzer that is easily capable of laying down an artillery barrage from a distance on any target.

ack-ack

You're right Ack... Poorly used definition of purpose. A mobile Anti-Tank vehicle or gun. Suits the unit much better.

:salute
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2009, 03:26:25 PM »
Since the only indirect fire we have now is from the CV. The LVT-4 is just fine as field artillery in the direct fire mode. I don't think we will see  Forward Observers or a Fire Directional center for GV's anyway soon. However the sdkfz 251 with an anti tank gun may be a lot of fun to have and the 251 will see much more use because of it.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2009, 03:30:48 PM »
I don't think we will see  Forward Observers or a Fire Directional center for GV's anyway soon.

IMO, that's one of the best roles for the jeep other than racing along the country side and seeing how far you can jump it.  The other day, I was actually in a LVT4 (yes, the rumors were true but flying the C-47 with troops rumor is just a lie, honest) and had a country mate in a jeep acting as my forward observer and directing my rounds in.  We managed to turret an Ostie when he drove behind it unseen and I was able to use the range on his icon to dial it in and hit the Ostie.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2009, 03:52:28 PM »
IMO, that's one of the best roles for the jeep other than racing along the country side and seeing how far you can jump it.  The other day, I was actually in a LVT4 (yes, the rumors were true but flying the C-47 with troops rumor is just a lie, honest) and had a country mate in a jeep acting as my forward observer and directing my rounds in.  We managed to turret an Ostie when he drove behind it unseen and I was able to use the range on his icon to dial it in and hit the Ostie.

ack-ack

My Ex-Squad had an award to achieve for Forward Air Control. Scout from any aircraft, with recorder on, and destroy any GV in conjunction with a squadmate from the 8" guns of a fleet cruiser.
It was a fun award to win.
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline BillyD

• Silver Member
      • Das Army of Muppets
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2009, 04:00:33 PM »

snapped a picture Ak Ak for the non believers. Unfortunately it got bungled so here is the artists rendering of you ground poundin     :D

btw this variant of the 251 looks cool....
*ARMY OF MUPPETS
*K$
*Hot Soup Mafia
*@#$@#  YO COUCH CREW

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2009, 04:55:55 PM »
Damn Billy with those skills you should be working for ILM.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline BillyD

• Silver Member
      • Das Army of Muppets
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2009, 06:26:55 PM »
well photoshop is tweakin so paint is the next best thing right....Right ;)
*ARMY OF MUPPETS
*K$
*Hot Soup Mafia
*@#$@#  YO COUCH CREW

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
If we are gona get a self propeled gun then lets get the M12 155mm 'long tom'. It had, obvisouly, a 155mm cannon mounted on an M3 chassis.

It would kill any tank in the game, it would be an actual artty piece, and to be honest, that thing just looks plain cool.

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/usa/self-propelled-guns/m12.asp

I know only a few hundred were made but then again only a couple hundred tigers were made to.

the numbers are just above the table. notice the 5 above the 100.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th