Author Topic: anyone to help with cv landing  (Read 809 times)

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
anyone to help with cv landing
« on: July 10, 2009, 03:40:20 PM »
Hello , I need help with landing on carriers anyone willing to help ,I will be in ta 7 10 09 at 9 pm
I really apprecieate any help i can get.
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Re: anyone to help with cv landing
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 04:41:14 PM »
I'll see if I can get in for a few minutes to help you out...  Are Corsairs ok?
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 04:44:05 PM »
corsairs are fine
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 05:29:49 PM »
Cool.  I'll see you there at 9:00 tonight.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 05:57:04 PM »
something to read up on, before you meet up with Vudak!

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/landingcarrier/landingcarrier.htm

link to the Trainers website with other information:

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 09:26:43 AM »
Keep it on the edge of a stall, and keep your gear up. All you need, that is unless you plan on taking off again. Flaps are needed, but spend enough time in your preferred carrier bird so you can get a feel for how she flies, helps with the landing aspect.  :salute
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 10:42:03 AM »
Back in WB's, Waxx taught me how to get REALLY good at carrier landings- the secret?  Touch n' gos. 

Don't lower your hook, and try to plant that sucker 3 wheel style.  Then just firewall the throttle, pick the tail back up, and take off for another pattern. 

If you can plant it on the wires (eventually you'll get the knack), all you have to do from that point is remember to lower your hook.  Easy peasy. 

Remember different planes act VERY different at low speeds, so you'll wanna know how to do it with all of 'em.

If you're having problems with the speed (things happen too fast, etc.), take up an SBD Dauntless or a Val.  Both of those have incredibly low approach speeds for 3 pointers, and will give you more time to think about all the factors involved when on finals. 

In the high performance boys like the Hellcat and the 4U, take combat trim off.  It does some funky nose-low stuff when landing at full flaps- that's exactly what you DON'T want. 

Remember- speed with pitch, descent rate with throttle. 
"You rebel scum"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 11:06:21 AM »
I know that my biggest problem when I was trying to learn to land on the deck of a CV was that I was targeting the wires as my landing position.  Doing so lead to many crashes into the stern of the CV.

Now I aim for the front of the flight deck and, since the CV is moving, I settle right on the wires every time (unless the CV is turning   :furious ).
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 02:40:04 PM »
I know that my biggest problem when I was trying to learn to land on the deck of a CV was that I was targeting the wires as my landing position.  Doing so lead to many crashes into the stern of the CV.

Now I aim for the front of the flight deck and, since the CV is moving, I settle right on the wires every time (unless the CV is turning   :furious ).
Lucky! I have to aim for the middle, otherwise, I roll off the front before I put out the brakes, or crash into the back :mad:.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 06:41:46 PM »
Try this  :D
Lighten up Francis

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 03:45:01 PM »
Get any bird slow enough and you can land it on the cv. Just for kicks we upped 163s and flew to our cv 2 sectors over to try and refuel. We did not drop our wheel pods.... well most of us anyway  :D . Landing was not too difficult. Landing in the refuel rearm area was.

Being in the 80th and S.A.P.P. we take more pride in the size of the explosion as we touch down than anything else anyway.  :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline mtn-paradoc

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 02:25:10 AM »
as a newbie corsair pilot...touch and go's are the way to go.  make it a tight turn into the carrier ao that you straighten just as you are crossing the stern.

besides that, practice. Our squad tries to do two or three before going into the ma....sucks to have a great flight, lots of kills and die on landing! i did that....alot!lol!
I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me.
- Duke of Wellington