Author Topic: Best plane.  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Re: Best plane.
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2009, 10:21:54 AM »

Ki-84's kill 38's w ease,,,,  F4U's harder but still very manageable unless they run   ;)   :D

The F4U-1A vs. Ki-84 is one of my favorite match ups in the game.  If you ever feel like going a few in the DA, by all means, PM me :)

Edit - that goes for any of you Ki-84 types...  Battle of the flaps, here we come ;)
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2009, 12:40:31 PM »
Il2  -with f3 mode it's like driving a convertible, pwns everything from 262s to Tigers; sux vs Jeeps, can't catch them

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2009, 12:44:17 PM »
Excluding the Me-163 and Me-262...

Best perked fighter: Tempest
Best unperked fighter: Spit XVI

'Nuff said.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2009, 01:09:10 PM »
I share your affinity for the Tempest.

OTOH, I don't understand this fixation for the hawg, even as I acknowledge how difficult it is to kill one. It seems like, whenever I approach one in a K-4 or 190D-9, that the F4U is always able to pull an unbelievably tight low-speed turn to evade me. It sounds like they do this by deploying flaps.

My question: how the hell do they know I'm coming? The six view in that thing is impossible. Every time I fly the turd I feel like I have zero rear vis.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2009, 01:12:25 PM »

OTOH, I don't understand this fixation for the hawg, even as I acknowledge how difficult it is to kill one. It seems like, whenever I approach one in a K-4 or 190D-9, that the F4U is always able to pull an unbelievably tight low-speed turn to evade me. It sounds like they do this by deploying flaps.

My question: how the hell do they know I'm coming? The six view in that thing is impossible. Every time I fly the turd I feel like I have zero rear vis.

we use the force, adjust our view and have superior SA.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2009, 02:09:43 PM »
In a 1vs1 fight between a Tempest and an F4U-4, I'd take the F4U-4, fwiw, but most arena fights don't fit that category.  If you do find yourself out-maneuvered in the Tempest, it's the easiest thing in the world to disengage.

It sounds like you need to learn to adjust your views.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2009, 02:11:46 PM »
*Cough LA-5 *Cough
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2009, 02:27:48 PM »
What is the best plane? What do you think is the best plane in the game and why?     :noid

F4U4.

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2009, 02:40:12 PM »
I pretty much stick with 2 planes nowadays: if I'm goin to a fight where I can get alt I get an F4U1A. If I'm not gonna get over 4 or 5k then spit8. Both are great horde busters.
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2009, 02:52:50 PM »
  Next week we explore what is the best shoe size. Send your votes to MTnoggin.net  :rolleyes:

I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2009, 02:54:11 PM »
we use the force, adjust our view and have superior SA.

Well, I can only admit to very little stick time in the Hawg. I'll have to try again. I use a TrackIR and, last time I tried an F4U (in a Butcher Bird event), I was unable to find a view that showed me anything like six - it was more like low 5 to low 7 with that stupid armor canopy cutting out the high 5-7.

As I say, my empirical/anecdotal evidence DOES corrobrate your assertion.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2009, 02:56:01 PM »

Size 11 is best
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2009, 02:58:30 PM »

. It seems like, whenever I approach one in a K-4 or 190D-9, that the F4U is always able to pull an unbelievably tight low-speed turn to evade me. It sounds like they do this by deploying flaps.

If they are pulling a tight, low speed turn to evade, they are surrendering to you and you should kill them every single  time this happens.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2009, 03:20:50 PM »
If they are pulling a tight, low speed turn to evade, they are surrendering to you and you should kill them every single  time this happens.

Good. This looks like an opportunity to get a tactical clue.

I recognize, first, that when they are slow, yes, I have an advantage and can take a snapshot. Even if I miss, I can pull up, loop and reverse, and make another pass. I'm not sure if my problem with most of the F4U's I've run into is with the low-speed turn or with my inability to snapshot 'em to oblivion. Is my assessment here wrong? I should, given the initial advantage, be able to repeat as necessary, correct? It seems like the F4U runs pretty well though, and will only give me one or two attmepts t o get this right - or is there another tactic to employ when you're coming in high/fast on a low/slow turner? My first guess (after reversing and repeating) might be a high yo-yo (especially in the 190D) but it's a hard maneuver to judge for a relative noob.

For all those who might get defensive, no, this is not always how I've encountered F4U's. Indeed, one of my first kills in a 190d-9 was over a Spit all out of place at 20k whose wing I blew off. As I followed him down to really enjoy my kill and pump a few more rounds into him just for laughs, I was swooped by a high / fast F4u. This sort of "ruined the party" and resulted in a pw and damage, first pass, and death on the second.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2009, 03:31:45 PM »
Godzilla,

The Corsair's Achilles' Heel is (level) acceleration and (non-zoom) climb.  The F4U-4 lacks this weakness, and as such is often considered the "best" overall plane in the set.

A 190K4 is ideally suited to take advantage of these weaknesses, but if you aren't careful, your very strength might be used against you.  While a non-perked Corsair is not wonderful at acceleration, it is perhaps the best decelerator in the game. 

To completely oversimplify, if you're fighting a Corsair in your K4, you want to fight "UP" rather than "DOWN" or "LEVEL."
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group