Author Topic: question for welders  (Read 496 times)

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
Re: question for welders
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 09:29:27 PM »
Not sure why a bottle of argon would cost you $300. If you have the regulator and hose you can buy a small cylinder for under $100 then what ever it costs to fill it. Even if you need the hose and regulator you can get that for under $100 as well.

link to welding supplies:
http://store.cyberweld.com/migaccessories1.html
I only used this link as an example. I have never personally bought anything from them.

I was gonna say the same thing..  If you can stay away from inner-shield, by all means, do so..  Your weld will be much better as well as look much nicer..  Like the other dude said, you'll have to deal with slag..  Not sure about you, but I hate slag..  Always gets inside my gauntlets some how when I chip it off and I get all burnt up..  
I used to sell welders and gas..  While I'm not an expert on technique by any means(I can run a pretty nice bead), I know what's available as far as consumables (wire, gas, regulators,hoses, tips, what gas to use with what kinds of metal, etc)..  When I worked for AGA(which was bought out by BOC or Linde I think) we used to carry 2 cf (cubic foot) cylinders of Argon, CO2,   50% Argon/CO2 Mix, and we used to do customer mixes as well..  Back then (this is 8 or 9 years ago) you could buy a 2cf tank for about $30.00 and filling it would be $5.00 a pop(usually they just switch out the tank and give you a full one).  Getting a gas set up isn't that expensive..  Like someone else said, not sure where you got the $300.00 figure..  We used to sell 300cf tanks for $80.00..  If you're gonna do it, might as well do it right...  

One word of advice, aluminum is hard to do if you're not experienced and if you're not using the right gas mixture..  While a 50/50 Argon/CO2 mix is sort of a universal shielding gas, 100% Argon will give you your best results for Aluminum.  A Tri-Mix of O2, CO2, and Argon would be ideal for Stainless Steel..  From some reason, the properties in stainless steel inhibiting arc stability..  Adding O2 to the mix help stabilize the arc..  

I wouldn't consider welding much more than regular steel of you're going to use inner core...

I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 10:16:38 PM »
Anyone know of a cheap tig welder for chromoly and stainless?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 10:19:44 PM by Strip »

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 10:51:20 PM »
Anyone know of a cheap tig welder for chromoly and stainless?

Been a fan of TD (Thermal Dynamics) for a long time..  Didn't even know something this cheap existed..  Not sure how far you'll get on 85 amps though..
This will do stick welding too...

http://www.toolsforless.com/product/29998/Thermal_Dynamics_10-3077A1_Dragster_85_TIG_Welding_Package
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 11:02:33 PM »
My old job actually was stick welding frames for evaporator coils. These coils were for industrial refrigeration. So I know what it is like to use a welder and have lots of mess. I had actually done a great deal of mig welding also before leaving that job but never really got much into the difference between flux core and gas shielding since all the migs were set up for gas shielding.

I am actually pretty excited about having my own welder and after borrowing my brother-in-laws welder (since mine is not set up yet) realized that it is more or less like riding a bike, once you have it you don't lose it. After playing with it for about 10-15 minutes, getting the settings right and remembering the little "tricks" I was producing good welds.

Thanks for all the input here guys. I will most likely try a roll of flux core wire ($12 for small roll at Lowes) to try it out and to get started to some extent but will definitely be moving to gas shield ASAP.

BTW mig is kind of like cheating. ;)

At my job I covered a Tig root pass, with a Mig cover.   Hydrostatic tested with no failures.    :devil
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 11:04:56 PM »

I was gonna say the same thing..  If you can stay away from inner-shield, by all means, do so..  Your weld will be much better as well as look much nicer..  Like the other dude said, you'll have to deal with slag..  Not sure about you, but I hate slag..  Always gets inside my gauntlets some how when I chip it off and I get all burnt up..  
I used to sell welders and gas..  While I'm not an expert on technique by any means(I can run a pretty nice bead), I know what's available as far as consumables (wire, gas, regulators,hoses, tips, what gas to use with what kinds of metal, etc)..  When I worked for AGA(which was bought out by BOC or Linde I think) we used to carry 2 cf (cubic foot) cylinders of Argon, CO2,   50% Argon/CO2 Mix, and we used to do customer mixes as well..  Back then (this is 8 or 9 years ago) you could buy a 2cf tank for about $30.00 and filling it would be $5.00 a pop(usually they just switch out the tank and give you a full one).  Getting a gas set up isn't that expensive..  Like someone else said, not sure where you got the $300.00 figure..  We used to sell 300cf tanks for $80.00..  If you're gonna do it, might as well do it right...  

One word of advice, aluminum is hard to do if you're not experienced and if you're not using the right gas mixture..  While a 50/50 Argon/CO2 mix is sort of a universal shielding gas, 100% Argon will give you your best results for Aluminum.  A Tri-Mix of O2, CO2, and Argon would be ideal for Stainless Steel..  From some reason, the properties in stainless steel inhibiting arc stability..  Adding O2 to the mix help stabilize the arc..  

I wouldn't consider welding much more than regular steel of you're going to use inner core...

AGA was purchased by Linde, who was bought out by Airgas.  I dealt with Linde at Pfizer here in Ann Arbor.   Compressed Gases Team Lead, fun job.   Although had two close calls of idiot Colleagues.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 12:21:17 AM »
At my job I covered a Tig root pass, with a Mig cover.   Hydrostatic tested with no failures.    :devil

that is funny.

I used to have to fill gaps so wide that I would have to lay an 1/8 6011 welding rod in the gap to fill it and then differing metals. One was 3/16 angle for the corners and the other was 8GA for the panels which needed to be welded together.  :eek: all this with a stick welder. My partner would always steal a mig from the flat welding department to fill his side in (cheater).  :lol
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 12:24:13 AM by dkff49 »
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 12:24:12 AM »
that is funny.

I used to have to fill gaps so wide that I would have to lay an 1/8 6011 welding rod in the gap to fill it.  :eek: all this with a stick welder. My partner would always steal a mig from the flat welding department to fill his side in (cheater).  :lol

I worked with 3/8" to 1.25" gaps to completely cover, with no margin of error.   It was a good gig.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 12:26:52 AM »
I worked with 3/8" to 1.25" gaps to completely cover, with no margin of error.   It was a good gig.

oh the gaps were much larger than 1/8". That was just what I had laying around to help fill them with.

I do miss the challenge though sometimes.  Of course now I don'thave to breathe in the smoke from from the welds and from the multitude of oil laying under the coils.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 12:46:13 AM »
Sweet!   I work at Lincoln Electric.......Thanks for using Lincoln products         :rock

My shop has all Miller equipment :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 12:48:45 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 12:50:00 AM »
My shop has all Miller equipment :)

That's all I used too.   That and ESAB Marathon Pac's.   Both together were the cat's ass.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC