Author Topic: Case modification  (Read 345 times)

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
Case modification
« on: July 27, 2009, 12:42:39 PM »
After my new TilDeath computer arrived, Rich and I spent several hours on the phone talking about setup, weather, his dogs, my dogs and then the other computer in the house – mine.  It’s got an Asus P5NE-SLI mb, E6750, 850W ps, and 2 Gig 1333 Ram.  We got to talking about what speeds it was running at and of course, I couldn’t answer, so the tweaking began.  Installed CPU-Z and Real Temp then playing in the Bios.  After about 3 hours and If I remember correctly, a few too many cold ones :uhoh, we settled on an overclock of somewhere between medium and wild.  Heat was beginning to be a problem.  After explaining the case issue to Rich, and because he had another package he was sending to me anyhow, he decided to donate 3 fans and a few splitters :O.  After several weeks of running this comp with the side panel off, I finally found the time to get them installed.  I did what I could to clean up the wires and cables inside, but it’s still too ugly for a photo :(.

Temps are right where they should be atm.  Hmm, maybe more OC'ing in the near future :D

Again thanks TD for all your help.

Yes, the case is taped shut, screws are in the drawer.

This is all she had  :furious

Video card died 2 months ago, might have been too warm.  New one:

Started cleaning and dis-assembly outside Friday night, with a few beers  :eek:

Cutting holes in the dark isn't really that hard to do.  :cool:

Double-checking function before riveting the fans into place

Done, finally

SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Re: Case modification
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 12:47:20 PM »
Nicely done!
...Temps are right where they should be atm.  Hmm, maybe more OC'ing in the near future :D...
Keep us posted. :t
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 02:56:08 PM »
What did you do with the butterIN RATS NEST of wires

EDIT: You didn't mention that your wife was accusing us of having an affair after 4 hours on the phone.  Nor me asking her if Daddy was home.  :x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 02:57:58 PM by TilDeath »

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 02:57:39 PM »
Case maintenance is often overlooked.  I tried to do a yearly complete disassemble (along with my yearly format) and clean out everything.  Every 2-3 months I clean the HSF, side vents and filters.

I picked up an old AMD XP board and cpu off craigslist the other day and it was obviously that the HSF hadn't been cleaned in 5+ years, preventing an adequate airflow from the top fan down through the actualy heatsink to the processor.  I mean there was a cake of dust.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 03:22:14 PM »
I have a new hard drive coming. So I am using that as a good excuse to clean my case out and try to clean up the wiring mess a little. Also have some new cable ties. Actually going to do this to both of my computers.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 03:34:42 PM »
That is a chitload of unused wires!   I though my PC Power & Cooling was bad, wow.   I take you have them above the Burners?   Try and move those things as close to your MB Tray and let the Top Fan exhaust, if it's not what you've done already.   

Holes look good for off-the-cuff and it will make a considerable difference.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 04:02:29 PM »
What did you do with the butterIN RATS NEST of wires

EDIT: You didn't mention that your wife was accusing us of having an affair after 4 hours on the phone.  Nor me asking her if Daddy was home.  :x  Well thanks for finishing the story  :rofl

That is a chitload of unused wires!   I though my PC Power & Cooling was bad, wow.   I take you have them above the Burners?   Try and move those things as close to your MB Tray and let the Top Fan exhaust, if it's not what you've done already.   

Holes look good for off-the-cuff and it will make a considerable difference.

There are a few more wires hiding already on the other side of the drives, but I bundled the rest of them the best I could, stuffed them out of the way to not obstruct the air flow, then screwed the covers back on to make it look even better.  :lol

Edit: screenshot

Couldn't read it  :cry

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 05:11:44 PM by Dragon »
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 06:15:48 PM »
FYI, alt+printscreen will do a printscreen of an active window, no clipping needed.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either