Author Topic: Spit 8 Fault  (Read 1286 times)

Offline RELIC

• Nickel Member
      • http://DFA-Squad.org/
Re: Spit 8 Fault
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 09:28:41 AM »
I would like the inboard tanks on the Spit 14 and 8 to fill first before any fuel goes into the wings. This is pretty much what happens in the P51  auxillary tank filled last to improve handling.

Ok there may be no evidence on this, one way or the other but to me it is common sense.

I dont expect this to happen over night with all the stuff HTC are attending to but it would enhance the game for me anyway :pray :)

I agree, and the same fuel loading happens (I think) for the P-38.  I do think there has been a wishlist request to pick which tanks get filled.
DGSII Scenario-2012  352nd FG/487th FS
P-51D "Cold Gin"
Noseart

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 09:46:09 AM »
Now if I have got this wrong I appologise.

When you up a P51 WITH 75% fuel there is some in the Aux tank but the majority is in the more inner tanks that dont upset the handling. With 50% fuel there is none in the Aux tank. Up a spit 8 with 50% fuel and the wing tanks which upset the roll rate are 50% full :huh

So I am fantasising I am a real Spit 8 pilot speaking to the gound crew wallahs and the Johnny who does the fuel turns up in the bowser truck (Pronounced byzer of corse)  and I say listen old chap only expect a short opp so be a good fellow and just fill the top and bottom tanks and leave the wings then the old crate will be in wizard shape to prang the nips. Good show.

Get it   ;)

I just manually select the tanks I want to clean out first  .....what you are describing effects many planes.

Helm ...out
XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^
Proudly serving since campaign #13
"No Rain?" ...."No Rainbow, baby!" ....Bootsey Collins 2009

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 12:50:43 PM »
I love Brits.  Love em.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 10:46:39 PM »
There are plenty of cases in WWII where tanks weren't always fully fueled.

Any examples?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 10:56:26 PM »
Any examples?

wrongway

Yes please.  We had this discussion before and about all we came up with was sometimes the fuselage tank on the 51 wasn't filled, but that was more for stability issues.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 12:32:59 AM »
Any examples?

Sure...

- Cargo aircraft like the C-47 can usually be loaded with enough cargo to exceed their max. take-off weight if fuelly fueled. Also, depending on the range of the operations, it's simply stupid to lug around huge amounts of excess fuel. It adds fuel consumption/degrades performance, etc. The amount needed for the mission and reserve depending on the nature of the mission is enough and in aircraft like the C-47 it can be significantly less than full fuel load.

- Brewsters in Finland were occasionally flown with 300kgs of fuel which is roughly 70% of the full capacity.

- Curtiss Hawks had 5 hour endurance with tanks topped (600liter capacity like the Brewster). Finns often left the fuselage tank empty which left the capacity of 376liters to the wing tanks. Considering the georaphy of the BoF theater and the target rich enviroment available to the French, I'm sure they used their common sense when fueling their Hawks aswell.

- F2A-3 has a capacity of 240 (!!) gallons. Quite a huge amount of fuel for small fighter with relatively low fuel consumption. They were usually flown with 160 gallons. I sure as hell hope they didn't top the tanks before that infamous first and the last clash with IJN...
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 12:35:41 AM »
Sure...

- Cargo aircraft like the C-47 can usually be loaded with enough cargo to exceed their max. take-off weight if fuelly fueled. Also, depending on the range of the operations, it's simply stupid to lug around huge amounts of excess fuel. It adds fuel consumption/degrades performance, etc. The amount needed for the mission and reserve depending on the nature of the mission is enough and in aircraft like the C-47 it can be significantly less than full fuel load.

- Brewsters in Finland were occasionally flown with 300kgs of fuel which is roughly 70% of the full capacity.

- Curtiss Hawks had 5 hour endurance with tanks topped (600liter capacity like the Brewster). Finns often left the fuselage tank empty which left the capacity of 376liters to the wing tanks. Considering the georaphy of the BoF theater and the target rich enviroment available to the French, I'm sure they used their common sense when fueling their Hawks aswell.

- F2A-3 has a capacity of 240 (!!) gallons. Quite a huge amount of fuel for small fighter with relatively low fuel consumption. They were usually flown with 160 gallons. I sure as hell hope they didn't top the tanks before that infamous first and the last clash with IJN...

Interesting stuff.  Curious as to where you found that info?
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline CountD90

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 12:48:19 AM »

History channel??? :noid :noid
GameID:Count
The Misfit Toys
Quote from: Wreked
If you are feeling a little useless, offended, or depressed, just remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious little sperm out of millions.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 12:54:46 AM »

America's Hundred Thousand, Finnish book called "Pilot's View Point II", etc...

I don't recall reading any anecdotes regarding the operational fuel loads of the French Hawks but like I said, I'm sure common sense prevailed there aswell.

Just as a general note...

During WWII a bit under half a million combat aircraft were produced which flew millions of sorties. That really doesn't leave much room for generalizing weather it's how they were fueled or something else. :)
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 02:52:59 AM »
I asked the guy whose image is in my avatar at the moment.  He flew 38s with the 474th FG in the ETO.  He said they went full fuel tanks regardless.

Gonna have to do some more looking :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Grind

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 03:00:47 AM »
Ive heard that the only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire..... :D
Windows 11 Pro, Z790 UD AX,  i5-13600K, 64 MB DDR5, RTX 4070, Alienware AW3225QF QD-OLED monitor,TrackIr 5, VKB Gunfighter IV, VKB Gladiator NXT EVO Throttle, VKB Mk V Rudder Pedals.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 03:06:01 AM »
I believe fuel tanks are filled according to historical methods.

I was referring to which tanks would be filled first not how much.....

Personally I find all of the Spits too easy and dont up one enough to care otherwise.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 03:09:18 AM by Strip »

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 04:35:36 AM »
I'm sure you fly nothing but the most challenging of planes
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 05:06:16 AM »
If all planes flew full tank and we have the option of 25-100% then obviously if some planes fill preferentially for best flight characteristics eg P51 then it makes sense they all should.

Shurely??
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009, 08:29:28 AM »
I was referring to which tanks would be filled first not how much.....

Personally I find all of the Spits too easy and dont up one enough to care otherwise.
Yes, I know, and my response stands.  Taking less than full fuel was so rare (I have never come across such a claim) that there is no order in which the tanks would be felled, other than not filling rear fuselage tanks due to stability issues.  HTC could not get that data as it does not exist.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-