Author Topic: Can't manually download terrains  (Read 516 times)

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Can't manually download terrains
« on: July 29, 2009, 08:21:28 PM »
self-explanatory....the list in download section shows terrains which are months old, which forces me to use in-game loader....which has thus far dumped me 8X (dialup...timing out maybe?)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 02:38:07 PM by Skuzzy »
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Can't manually download terrains
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 08:35:49 PM »
(dialup...timing out maybe?)

:huh  :O   :confused: You're kidding right? You might want to turn off call waiting and anything else that might interrupt your connection if you haven't already.

No chance even low end DSL is available to you?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 09:42:44 PM »
nuthin but satellite...and I turned off call-waiting 10 years ago;

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 10:25:49 PM »
Is your satellite dish using your phone lines for anything? I've seen that cause problems.

Your satellite provider or phone company should have some sort of dsl offering...there aren't many places in the lower 48 (maybe remote montana or wyoming) that can't get even dsl since it uses phone lines.
jarhed  

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 10:32:54 PM »
DSL uses copper, but the head-end equipment has to be on poles 2-3 spots per mile..and when there's only 7-8 homes per mile, its not profitable. (And Verizon is losing money hand over fist, about to lay off 8.000 people) Cox, on the other hand, ran cable to within 3/4 MILE of my house...then stopped, and the county says they don't have to run any more, for same reasons. Game plays fine on dialup, however, I have steady 200ms conn, downloads are a drag, however

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 04:59:39 PM »
Do you think that your connection can handle a 112MB download? Maybe if you set it to download late in the evening it will complete without errors?

Here is a link to the terrains I have downloaded: Terrain Files

It's a zip file...no viruses or spyware...multi scanned.
jarhed  

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 07:10:17 PM »
I can't do that at house, but I can surely do that in town with laptop <S> thanks  (112 meg on dialup is like 25 :eek: hours)

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 08:51:09 PM »
I'd recommend getting a download manager, bj229r. If you use Firefox, look into an extension called DownThemAll! It's mostly made for the higher bandwidth connections in that it downloads files in simultaneous chunks to get higher speeds, but I'm sure that can be disabled if need be. The best feature in your case would be the ability to resume a download where it left off if the connection fails.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 10:00:10 PM »
OOZ662 is right...with your connection I would be using a download manager/accelerator.

If/when they come out with new terrains...hit me up if you need another assist on getting them. <S>
jarhed  

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 10:06:43 PM »
yah, i think firefox has one built in (which i use)....but 3.5K download rate can only do so much...

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 10:55:29 PM »
No, FireFox has a standard downloader. It will attempt to resume downloads, but isn't all that good at it. DownThemAll! will work much better. Plus, you can tell it down download everything linked to on a page in sequence. Means you can download the whole skins package with three of four clicks.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 11:48:49 AM »
How do you use a download manager when you are stuck using the auto updater in game for terrain updating?
I'm used to getting the boot when updating terrains with 56K dialup and resuming last download 2 or 3 times, but now after the 3rd or 4th go round it gets to 1% left and either says "host connection lost" again or goes to the clipboard where you select online/offline.

What's the chances someone can freehost em somewere?

I started a new account(been gone a few month) and the game let me download the first terrain I came to. But no more. I have made sure firewall and av are off, files are not read only and even deleted some terrains. Using XP SP2.
BTW I do just fine on dialup in game. Rarely disco. And when I get host connection lost the internet is still up.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 11:51:47 AM »
OOZ662 is right...with your connection I would be using a download manager/accelerator.

If/when they come out with new terrains...hit me up if you need another assist on getting them. <S>
Just read this again. No one said I could use a DLmanager in game.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 12:26:42 PM »
Just read this again. No one said I could use a DLmanager in game.
There seems to be a 3 minute timer on downloads from that server, keep having to hit "resume last download?" --- I can get about 400k per session, of the typical 2.5 meg terrains. Thats's why I'd like the ability to load them manually from HT's website, (which is NORmally possible) but the new terrains aren't there yet, just the now-obsoleted old ones http://www2.hitechcreations.com/download/dlterrframe.html.  LOL, I finally loaded the zip file which gyrene81 was kind enough to post, but they have changed them all yet again :cry

<edit: correction, it kicks ya at exactly 2 minutes---if you havent got the load by then, have to restart AH and resume previous (Also, TURN OFF FIREWALL! when load gets to end, it must execute, and mine is snuffing it without even a popup, ESET sucks)

<another edit: Ndisles is in EW at moment, which I HAVE on pc (works in Orange)---but every entrance into EW arena forces another load, which results in nothing after laod is complete
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 01:14:32 PM by bj229r »

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 07:44:23 PM »
Map downloader STILL timing out at exactly 2 minutes, have to log back in, resume previous download 9 times to get Trinity; :mad: