Author Topic: Moddeled Ammo Weight?  (Read 316 times)

Offline Wreked

• Copper Member
Moddeled Ammo Weight?
« on: August 01, 2009, 11:23:44 AM »
1st - before there is "incoming" : I have searched through 25+ threads or so - may have missed it tho. :)

Is the weight of a craft lightened as "gun" ammo(bomb weight I understand) is expended? proportionally to expenditure? -is this refelcted by a speed increse or range extention? - we've all see the movies of the buff crews hurling everything not nailed down out the doors to extend their range to make it home.

I can remember in early AW/WB firng off all our guns to lighten load - is that true here and anyone have an idea as to how much - 2-3knots could make all the dif in a pile of greasy smoking wrekage or beer in the Airmens Mess.

cheers eh!
HO is a HO is a HO!!
You can lead a donkey to a FACT - you just can't make them think!

cheers eh!!

Offline Newman5

• Nickel Member
Re: Moddeled Ammo Weight?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 11:32:49 AM »
I believe it is.  I have many people try ditching ammo from rear gunner of 110, stating that it would help the maneuver, go faster etc.  But I don't really know if it works.  Some say it does, some don't.
"Hello, Newman."

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 11:34:33 AM »
1st - before there is "incoming" : I have searched through 25+ threads or so - may have missed it tho. :)

Is the weight of a craft lightened as "gun" ammo(bomb weight I understand) is expended? proportionally to expenditure? -is this refelcted by a speed increse or range extention? - we've all see the movies of the buff crews hurling everything not nailed down out the doors to extend their range to make it home.

I can remember in early AW/WB firng off all our guns to lighten load - is that true here and anyone have an idea as to how much - 2-3knots could make all the dif in a pile of greasy smoking wrekage or beer in the Airmens Mess.

cheers eh!

Yes, the weight of ammo is modeled into the aircraft.  For testing, take a 110 up, sit in the gunner's seat, pull up E6B, and compare how fast your weight lightens as you're just flying (using fuel) and when you're shooting (using ammo and fuel).
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 11:43:28 AM »
I believe it is.  I have many people try ditching ammo from rear gunner of 110, stating that it would help the maneuver, go faster etc.  But I don't really know if it works.  Some say it does, some don't.

It may help, but only minimally.  Correct management of fuel/engagement regimes is much more important though.   Fuel weighs much more than bullets.  This does change, though, if you are in lighter planes and the percentage ammunition weight versus the aircraft total weight is higher, such as in the 109.

I personally hardly ever fly with 100% internal, unless in Tempest or other gas hogs.  I plan out my engagements based on the weighting of my aircraft, therefore knowing how my maneuverability will suffer.  I'll generally take 50% or under, and carry drops until I find a fight I wish to engage in, thereby giving myself maximum maneuver capabilities in any flight regime.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 11:48:43 AM »
The only weight that's not modeled as far as I know, is parts broken off from damage.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 11:56:32 AM »
That was always one thing I hated about the old H2H arenas..they would have like 10X ammo, and it add a ton of weight to planes like jug, which aren't exactly ammo-deficient to begin with
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 11:59:49 AM »

cheers eh!

In lighter planes, or ones with heavy ammunition, the rounds can represent a measurable percentage of weight. I think the 50 cal is modeled at .3lbs per round from off hand memory. In a 9,00lb aircraft 1,600 rounds of ammunition will represent about 480 lbs or 5.3% of total weight. That is equation is a rough estimation of the P-51D and its ammo/weight values. Although you might gain some airspeed it will not be linear with the percentage loss in weight. Airspeed is largely determined by thrust, frontal area, and drag coefficient. Most of your performance gain will be in turn rate and radius.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 12:01:21 PM »
That was always one thing I hated about the old H2H arenas..they would have like 10X ammo, and it add a ton of weight to planes like jug, which aren't exactly ammo-deficient to begin with

Unless this has changed recently you are mistaken about the multiplier. I have put the ammo multiplier to 100X before with no weight gain.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 12:31:28 PM »
IIRC, from the old days of H2H, the ammo multiplier applies to whatever you set the ammo coefficient to.  The proportions are the same: 1/2 the normal ammo expended will amount to 1/2 the ammo weight, and 1/2 the ammo set to 1000x will amount to 1/2 the normal ammo weight.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 12:41:28 PM »
I am pretty sure it is Wrecked.

Some of the better sticks take a lighter ammo load because of the improved performance.

Drop some bombs, rockets, or ammo. Head for the rearm pad. Hit F3. You will see your AC drop from the extra weight added. :)
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 12:46:20 PM »
Unless this has changed recently you are mistaken about the multiplier. I have put the ammo multiplier to 100X before with no weight gain.

Exactly. An ammo multiplier doesn't change the weigh, but the number of shots you can get out of that mass.

The rear gun ammo wéighs 98lbs. That's a whopping  0.5% of total weight if a full gun package 110G @ 50% fuel.
I doubt it improves peformance in a actually noticeable way
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 01:01:12 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 12:53:28 PM »
I am pretty sure it is Wrecked.

Some of the better sticks take a lighter ammo load because of the improved performance.

Drop some bombs, rockets, or ammo. Head for the rearm pad. Hit F3. You will see your AC drop from the extra weight added. :)

That impressed me the first time I saw it.....not only was weight modeled but strut/suspension travel too.

Offline Wreked

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 01:00:18 PM »
Neat stuff all!!

BIG thanx eh! :D
HO is a HO is a HO!!
You can lead a donkey to a FACT - you just can't make them think!

cheers eh!!