Author Topic: Frame Rate  (Read 858 times)

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Re: Frame Rate
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 09:57:59 AM »
NO!!!

AVG is basically the mirrored image of Norton. A little more friendly, but Norton none the less. If you want security, check into ESET's product line:

www.eset.com

Less intrusive also using much less resources.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 10:39:39 AM »
Norton and McAfee are both more intrusive than the viruses they are supposed to protect your computer from.  What they do to a computer should be considered criminal.  Please avoid them at all costs.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 11:17:44 AM »
<<< Firm believer in NOD32
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 12:15:07 PM »
NOD32 and Kaspersky are both ones that I have used. I dont think they kill your computer live Norton and McAfee do. They both do a good job.

Offline Goat1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 12:18:12 PM »
Then could the AVG I have be my problem?
"Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer." — Major Thomas B. 'Tommy' McGuire, USAAF

Offline Eagleclaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 12:30:58 PM »
Im sorry, I forgot about AVG, I used it before I got Aces High and worked well but after I got it AVG screwed  around with it. Kaspersky is the best of all the choices i gave you, takes up the least space, doesn't mess with Aces High and has the best updating time of any anti-virus I've seen. Sorry about the misinformation, my memory hasn't exactly been the most reliable.
The day no hoes would fly......

Offline Goat1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 12:49:32 PM »
Thanks I'll look into it

Goat1
"Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer." — Major Thomas B. 'Tommy' McGuire, USAAF

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 10:23:27 PM »
Then could the AVG I have be my problem?
It could quite possibly be part of the problem. The active system monitoring might be looking at aceshigh.exe as it performs its various tasks. In doing so it interrupts the game data from being processed flawlessly causing stutters or loss of frame rate.

Once again, it could be part of the problem. It is in no way guaranteed to be the source.
FlameThink.com

Offline Eagleclaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 07:00:57 AM »
It could quite possibly be part of the problem. The active system monitoring might be looking at aceshigh.exe as it performs its various tasks. In doing so it interrupts the game data from being processed flawlessly causing stutters or loss of frame rate.

Once again, it could be part of the problem. It is in no way guaranteed to be the source.

Just remember, most viruses today go deeper into your system (rootkits, spyware, worms, etc) So adjust your anti-virus settings to go VERY deep into your computer during a scan. Set up a time for the anti-virus to run, I like to use a time when Im not on much, say 4 o'clock AM. I usually scan every day when Im sure a virus is on my comp and switch the settings every time i dont find one.
Did you happen to click on an ad on the internet about protecting your computer from CONFICKER? All of those ads I heard were viruses themselves.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 11:35:36 AM »
I wouldn't set up a schedule on which to scan. That in itself reduces system resources while AVG runs the timer for when it will execute the scan. The only scheduled task I would allow to run is a boot scan along with automatic updates.
FlameThink.com

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2009, 11:51:43 AM »
I hope some of this advice is helping with your issues Goat...the anti-virus advice from skuzzy is dead on...also AVG is ok but I've been able to intentionally infect a system with trojans and ad-ware and AVG couldn't stop them...so I never recommend it.

If you're looking for a good freeware anti-virus I recommend Avast first, Avira second...both have effective freeware versions that will stop stuff even Norton and McAffee won't stop...daily anti-virus definition updates...email client, web browser, etc...protection...very light system process load...and if you want to use the "pro" versions, it's only $30/year.

Never schedule a system virus scan...nearly all anti-virus programs have resident real time file scanning protection processes running, and if a virus gets past that, it's too late for a scan to do anything more than tell you "oops"...if you suspect a virus just perform a manual system scan so you know what's happening.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Goat1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 11:59:55 PM »
 Thanks for all the help, I did have my AVG on a schedule, which a halted.
I've ran virus scans and it comes up clean.
I'll try the free version of Avast and see what happens.
Also I've received some good tips on my other post concerning processes.

Offline Eagleclaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 01:21:58 AM »
If you haven't tried Kaspersky yet they have a free download of their product on their home page and doesn't take up much space at all, Wont delete viruses it finds but rather just lets you know they are there, Kaspersky has two thumbs up from me. Takes up hardly any memory, has a HUGE virus bank, has immediate response to the newest viruses. <S>

Offline Goat1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 10:00:14 AM »
I was able to reduce my processes to 23 in game, now my frame rate is up to 59fps, but still jumps a bit sometimes down to around 25.
But it's a heck of alot better now.

Thanks for all the help

Goat1

Offline Eagleclaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009, 10:35:20 AM »
good, after you take viruses out of your computer you MUST defragment your hard drive if you want the best performance, defragmenation cleans up unwanted files and "fixes" files that are messed up by deletion, viruses and installation. Because deleting a virus is like deleting a real program. Good to hear its better <S>