Author Topic: A380 Landing  (Read 838 times)

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
A380 Landing
« on: July 31, 2009, 02:01:11 PM »
Thought some would be interested in the A380 landing at Oshkosh. Looks like a good carrier landing! LOL

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/exclusivevids/EAAAirVenture2009_AirbusA380_HardLanding_200850-1.html
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
Re: A380 Landing
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 02:47:27 PM »
dayum! what a piss poor landing and at a major US airshow  :rofl.

With all the speculation lately about the airbus rudders and its deflection amounts with only slight pressure on the controls, that video really shows it.

Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 02:52:57 PM »

With all the speculation lately about the airbus rudders and its deflection amounts with only slight pressure on the controls, that video really shows it.

I fail to see how you can determine how much pressure was applied to the rudder from a film.

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 02:56:37 PM »
I fail to see how you can determine how much pressure was applied to the rudder from a film.

I can't really, just going by the amount of deflection and the comentary from the pilot critiquing the landing
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 03:14:01 PM »
The amount of deflection was never a problem neither the control force. It was going full deflection back and forth in both directions rapidly. You could argue that the light control force made this condition easier. Of course thats like saying its easier to speed in a car with more throttle tho.

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 03:15:20 PM »

You're talking about a 1970s A319 with the sensitive rudder controls. It was specific to that model.
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 06:29:56 PM »
You're talking about a 1970s A319 with the sensitive rudder controls. It was specific to that model.

The A319 was not produced in the 70's.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 06:42:01 PM »
The amount of deflection was never a problem neither the control force. It was going full deflection back and forth in both directions rapidly. You could argue that the light control force made this condition easier. Of course thats like saying its easier to speed in a car with more throttle tho.
You are correct.  He over corrects on the rudder.  This is what the 777 guy is talking about when he refers to pilot induced oscillation (PIO).

On most modern, large airplanes, the rudder has more deflection at low speeds.  Or maybe the logic is that there is less deflection at high speeds to prevent over stressing the vertical stabilizer. 

Wasn't there a fatal Airbus crash in NY just after 9/11 that was caused by the pilot making rapid rudder inputs?
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 06:45:35 PM »
A300, not 319. My mistake.
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 06:56:05 PM »
Looks like the pilot was looking at the cameras instead of the runway :D
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 10:48:52 PM »
"That hurt all the way to the bank."

Perhaps the pilot was thinking 777 not 380?
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 06:29:32 PM »
Just remember these small details.  While the runway at Oshkosh does have the length for the A380, there is only one taxiway that can handel an aircraft with that kind of weight.  The turn off for that taxiway is at the 5000 foot mark.  So, he has to land an A380 within that length and get it slowed down enough to be able to get it on the taxiway all while landing in a crosswind.  I am a little willing to cut him the slack.
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 01:11:00 AM »
Just remember these small details.  While the runway at Oshkosh does have the length for the A380, there is only one taxiway that can handel an aircraft with that kind of weight.  The turn off for that taxiway is at the 5000 foot mark.  So, he has to land an A380 within that length and get it slowed down enough to be able to get it on the taxiway all while landing in a crosswind.  I am a little willing to cut him the slack.

+1

Saw the landing in person. Can't blame the guy. The C-5 that came in yesterday had harder landings.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 01:50:38 PM »
He made up for the landing with a really cool flight demo on Friday though. 

:rock
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com