Author Topic: Contrails.  (Read 672 times)

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
Contrails.
« on: August 03, 2009, 10:03:28 PM »
With all these new features contrails would be cool. You could have an option in graphic detail for low end computers to turn them off.
Strokes

Offline Eagleclaw

• Copper Member
Re: Contrails.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 10:44:49 PM »
agreed, contrails would be a cool addition to an already awesome game
The day no hoes would fly......

shifty95

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:51:33 PM »
agreed, contrails would be a cool addition to an already awesome game

the only problem is, some people might confuse it with a feul leak.

Offline Eagleclaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 10:54:24 PM »
Well maybe have the contrail form about two k from you, in real life this doesnt happen but it could be used in the game situation.
The day no hoes would fly......

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 11:23:50 PM »
Contrails wouldn't necessarily go away as you flew versus a fuel leak that acts like a short tail.

25k feet or above to form IIRC.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 11:26:23 PM »
Negative sir. 
25k feet or above to form IIRC.

Doesn't have much to do with altitude so much as air pressure, condensation (air temp) and humidity.

But.... At higher altitudes, condensation from the decreased pressure will increase the wingtip vortex, but for our game the majority of contrails would come from engine exhaust...

I wouldn't mind this, it would be pretty cool.  But with contrails do we also start to model wake turbulence?  That would be even better cooler!  Lose control, go into a flat spin from the wash!   :rock

They look high to you?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/B-17_Flying_Fortress.jpg
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 11:41:48 PM »
Negative sir. 
They look high to you?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/B-17_Flying_Fortress.jpg

Lets see.  Hmmmm.  I'd say with no point of reference to the ground and the photo being taken from another aircraft slightly below them, looking up, that they are at 27,300 feet.

Is that high?

Exhaust vapour trails or contrails usually occur above 8000 metres (26,000 feet). where the temperature is below -40°C (-40°F).

http://asd-www.larc.nasa.gov/GLOBE/faq.html

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 12:54:28 AM »
Well if they arfe at 26.5k then if someone does a high alt buff misson it would add alot of realism to the game and fighters could track the buffs with the contrails. I would think some buffs pilots would enjoy it. (until they get shot down :) )
Strokes

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 01:12:58 AM »
They already have smoke modeled.....how hard would it be to add? Change the color (easy), move location (easy) and change duration (easy). Changing location of the smoke on 80+ planes would take the most time. If you added variability to the contrail creation you might get a little involved. It would not be much harder on frame rates if you modeled the short-lived type contrail. Being that high would lighten the load on the video card drawing the terrain. You could set it to a option box in the graphic options menu.

Measured in code time I bet this would a easy eye-candy one.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 01:14:42 AM by Strip »

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 09:46:47 AM »
I love you most of the time Sir........  But I personally took that photo at the bottom of a hill while those fortresses flew over the top.......   :x  (Total Fib)  (Being a photographer, I know that if that was another aircraft, the dark area would appear more as a sharp edge.... Even with 1940's film technology... Therefore I safely would bet those 17's are low)

Lets see.  Hmmmm.  I'd say with no point of reference to the ground and the photo being taken from another aircraft slightly below them, looking up, that they are at 27,300 feet.

Is that high?

http://asd-www.larc.nasa.gov/GLOBE/faq.html
wrongway

All kidding aside, the FAQ is slightly distorted.... With what is said in there, what happens on a cold day in Alaska?  Contrails yes, but for the most part, it's simply engine exhaust.  As in the photo I displayed. 

However, no need for bickering.......  The bottom line is:

It would be cool to have "wing vortices" as they would probably be easier to code simply based on plane data.........

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 11:50:16 AM »
Seeing how your pictures were not done right here.

One of them was far to large....

(Being a photographer, I know that if that was another aircraft, the dark area would appear more as a sharp edge.... Even with 1940's film technology... Therefore I safely would bet those 17's are low)

You would lose that bet.....look at the photo you tried to post. Notice the trail dissipates in far less than a second? It takes extremely cold moist air for persistent contrails regardless of source.

Now look at the trails above the two B-17s, long with low definition, clearly indicating a persistent type of contrail. Also the fact that they are flying in formation would indicate that its very likely they were at high alt. In all likelihood this picture was taken from the top turret of a lower B-17 well above 20,000 feet.

Also note that the contrails are not from the exhuast but from the propeller tips.

Strip
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 11:56:38 AM by Strip »

Offline ImMoreBetter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 12:30:52 PM »
Actually, I'd reckon it was taken from the radio compartment, not the turret.   :noid

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 12:39:38 PM »
Your probably right...

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 03:04:31 PM »
the only problem is, some people might confuse it with a feul leak.

Well to be honest that's their problem.

Contrails would add some realism to the game, and before anyone complains about a performance impact, there'd doubtlessly be an option to turn them off, and thus you would suffer no loss in framerate.

+1
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ