Author Topic: Cannot for the life of me get a photo to look decent  (Read 491 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Cannot for the life of me get a photo to look decent
« on: August 08, 2009, 10:30:17 PM »
I was trying to resize a photo using gimp so that the text can be clearly seen. I wasn't successful. Also, when I did a save as it won't show up so I can load it to photobucket. Really could use some help.

Thanks!

Oh, I did get the screen print to work, thank for that.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
Re: Cannot for the life of me get a photo to look decent
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 10:46:58 PM »
To scale an image from one resolution to another:

1)  Go to the "image" tab on the main control interface
2)  Go down to "scale image" and left click
3)  Enter the desired vertical and horizontal dimensions you want.
4)  Hit the "scale" button at the bottom of that menu to active the size-change
5)  Save

You can use the chain-link icon on the right to lock the aspect ratio of the image and only input the desired vertical or horizontal size, and it will change the corresponding dimension to maintain the aspect ratio.  I usually use this function.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 12:50:00 AM »
You're probably running into DPI problems.  Are you resizing it as in enlarging?
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 01:28:28 AM »
You're probably running into DPI problems.  Are you resizing it as in enlarging?

First, thanks Stoney I will give that a try.

Fulmar, I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm doing a screen print from an AH film and then pasting it in gimp. Well actually I pasted to Paint first then opened it in Gimp. When I move it to photobucket you cannot read the text. It is soooo small and an itty bit fuzzy. (It's somewhat amusing stuff, at least to me). I've seen folks post prints before that are just a 100 times better than mine. I would sure like to be able to do that.

Addendum: You mean Dot per inch?

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 10:33:37 AM »
Yes, dots per inch.  But from the sound of it, it sounds like the file is getting compressed to much, probably from saving it in paint then to gimp and then photobucket is compressing it more.

Just a guess without actually seeing whats going on.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 11:48:45 AM »
Are you taking shots from in-game or with the film viewer?  If in-game Alt-S will save a picture to your main AH folder - no need to copy and paste into Paint.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 02:52:03 PM »
I'm taking it from AH film viewer. I can get it to save. I cannot get it so it looks good when I post it to Photobucket. On my desktop it looks great but when I post to photobucket you can't read the text. I've increased the pixels and that has worked very well at desktop. I'm saving as Bmp. Should I save it has jpeg or something else?

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 02:57:12 PM »
You need to save it as a jpg, as if it's not Photobucket will automatically convert it, and it will be overcompressed. Photobucket won't screw with it if it's already a jpg.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
And make sure you save it at 100% quality as the default for GIMP is 85% for .jpg.  Just move the slider all the way to the right before you hit the final save button.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech