Author Topic: Help on keeping a old system going a little longer  (Read 1706 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Re: Help on keeping a old system going a little longer
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2009, 11:42:26 AM »
sounds like what he's had for 3 years is too much time on his hands

No actually it started with a project for Rio Solado college in PHX. They had a "shrinkage issue" and a 3rd party vendor sold them a real time tracking solution that was basically a combination of issuing a unique inventory label with a real time tracking capability and then integrating it into campus security....so they needed a test bed...so this guy stepped up and deployed the test bed in his house. Initially "wired" his kids and there toys so he could "track" movement and "theft"...then went a bit overboard and started fooling with stuff....he had his CD collection and all other stuff tagged. Basically a small little metal (or so it looked adhesive tag)...was a bit of a hoot....gee hon I can't find my keys....they're in the bathroom right by the window...

From the little I saw it doesnt take a huge amount of equipment...just an understanding of how the stuff works. I'm component savvy to a degree...but if I look at an old 7900GT I have here at my desk I have zero clue what the various "gizmoids" are or what they do....these guys will look at it and start to argue/comment on the merit of a specific part or combination etc or how it can be "improved"...often they'll buy stuff or liberate it via work connections just so they can do exactly that.

Realize that as more and more stuff gets hardened hardware wise to avoid software hacks the hardware skills get more in demand again. My understanding is that you have to hack the iphone hardware before you mess with the software (not entirely sure on that) for example...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 11:46:56 AM by humble »

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jag34

• Copper Member
Re: Help on keeping a old system going a little longer
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2009, 12:02:55 PM »
As for Jag34's original question...you have a decent system right now, if you want to keep it running, a simple upgrade of that video card would suffice.

For optimal performance I would start with a complete reload of a barebones Windows install...that will ensure you don't have a bloated registry full of old information, and when your totally done, the drivers will be single instance fresh installs (takes the guess work out of technical issues).

If your AGP slot is 8x then when you buy a new video card, go big... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102730...only a few dollars more than that low end card you were looking at and better specs.

Putting a laptop cpu on a desktop mobo can be done...but there is a lot that can go wrong...biggest issue is cpu voltage...as long as the laptop cpu voltage, socket type, and cpu heatsink/cooler fit...then it will work. You might want to research your motherboard specs before attempting.

Gyrene81,
Thanks for the reply. I checked out the card you listed and it fits my needs to the tee. I will be ordering the card this pay day. My system is old but I am hoping to get at lest one more year out of it, and with this new video card, that should do it. I added another HD I had laying around the house to my system and installed XP Home with SP3 and only installed just the drivers I needed to run the system and only my few games I have. So now this HD will be my gaming HD. Nothing else will be installed.

Once again guys, thanks for all your help.

Jag34T