Author Topic: New Apartment Smells like Cigarretes  (Read 1256 times)

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
Re: New Apartment Smells like Cigarretes
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 11:47:33 AM »
Curval hit the nail on the head!

Change all filters for the HVAC unit or units. Pull the vents and wash them thoroughly. The smell of smoke has gotten into the vents and will hang around for a long time. Get the stench out of the vents, and the apartment will smell better in a matter of hours.

If you don't have the ducting cleaned...................Wel l change your CPID to Smokey!

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 11:52:26 AM »
sometimes even painting over will not get rid of the smell .. what I did was primer with kilz2 then painted and it was alot better
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 01:18:03 PM »
sometimes even painting over will not get rid of the smell .. what I did was primer with kilz2 then painted and it was alot better

But "masking it" doesn't help.   Which is why a damp towel will get most of the residue.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 01:25:29 PM »
Rent a carpet cleaner and give the carpets a good whack.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 07:08:10 PM »
I got my money on the screens on your windows (and screen door if aplicable) to your apartment beign laced with cigarrete nastyness.  Also the filter in your AC (or the air intake and vents if it's a central system) will need to be cleaned out.  Replace them if necessary but some diligent cleaning with water, some rags and some cleaning product of your choice should do the trick.

The smell should/will go away, but fresh smoke is very resinous and sticks to things that it passes through.  That resin smells horribley and needs to be cleaned for the smell to disapear.

I'm back to smoking myself lately, but I can't stand how dirty of a habit it is and I don't like my place smelling like an ashtray, so I keep ontop of it.  I clean my screens and AC filter regularly and it makes a huge difference.

Checkout your bathroom too if it has a vent.  I don't smoke when I'm in the bathroom taking care of buisness, but a lot of smokers do, includign the previous tenant of my apatment.  I found after I vacumed the vent out and wiped the motor unit mostly clean that the heavy smoke smell started to go away and was gone within a week.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 07:15:53 PM »
But "masking it" doesn't help.   Which is why a damp towel will get most of the residue.   

Our apartment was rented by heavy smokers before us. We steam clean all of the walls, which all have two coats of Kilz on them. They still ooze yellow goo. It's wonderful.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline John Curnutte

• Nickel Member
      • Precisionsquad.org
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 07:22:38 PM »
 As a thought you can go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy a freshener for your A/C filter that will really help out with odors and these really work . they cost like 2 or 3 bucks and change your A/C filters at least every 2 weeks until it gets better than change them out once a month . It also helps keep dust to a minimum and helps with the air you breathe . If its really horrible and you repaint Killz's is the best for anything like that and will do the trick . If possible call a duct cleaning company and have them sweep out the system if its central air , that also cuts down dust and odors like you would not believe .
                                                   Nutte :salute
Don't be afraid to put it out there , if it gets cut off it'll grow back
On your mark , Get set , go away !

Offline 100hooch

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 07:46:30 PM »
Dude, sniff before you rent.  Failing that, one word:  ARSON!
"It's not our job to die for our country.  It's our job to make the other poor dumb sonofasqueak die for his!" -- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 08:03:39 PM »
Hello Raptor,

I worked for a large (smoke, fire, water and mold ) restoration company prior to becoming a Sr. Large Loss Property adjuster for an insurance company, and have been working with getting rid of bad odors ( smoke, fire, water,body decomposition etc) for around 20years, and have some suggestions for you.

With regards to changing filters and cleaning the ducts, this is a must as the only way to get rid of an odor, is to remove the source. Make sure that the duct cleaning company is aware of your concerns, as they have ways of spraying deodorizers (spelling?) into the ducts once they are cleaned. Also i have attached a link to a product that we use to use in the business, when we were looking to get rid of residual odors, place some of these in the ducts, they are called bad odor sponges, and they absorb the odors. Changing the filter is also a big help
This is the cheapest way to get rid of the problem. The average cost of duct cleaning a normal 3br home ( in my area eastern PA )is approx $400.00, deodorization may be a little extra.

Bad Air Sponge link

http://www.thebadairsponge.com/cigarette_odor_remover.html

Now the bad news, or better yet lets say the worse case scenario,
 As you have found, painting may not work,as the smoke may have worked its way into the wall cavities of the home. No worries though, there is a way to take care of it. Any local Property damage restoration company should have a machine called an Ozone machine. Without getting all scientific on you, basically it is brought into a home along with a couple of airmovers ( fans help pressurize the home and pushes the Ozone behind the walls) What this machine does is uses electricity across metal coated porcelain plates, and takes the oxygen in the home and turns it into Ozone. Ozone is the best system out there to remove odors from a house. Think of the nice clean smell after a lightning storm, what has happened is the lightning turned the oxygen in the air to Ozone. Bars use to use them also to help get rid of the smells that bars get, smoke,stale beer, vomit etc etc. I once used Ozone to remove the odor in a home caused by a body decomposing for approx 2 months in 90degree heat. A good clean up did not work, removing the contaminated building componants did not work. After running the Ozone machine for 3 days, no odor. I mean nothing. The process is not all that expensive also, the down side is that you ( or your pets ) cant be in the home when they are doing it. ( no oxygen )

When the process is done, the home will have an odd odor, what it is is the lack of odor. I know that sounds weird but every home has a smell. A lived in, cooked in smell. What you will smell after the process is the lack of the homes normal lived in odor, but better yet the smoke smell will be gone. A couple of days of living in the home and cooking in the home and things will be right as rain again.

If you PM me your city, town and state i would be glad to see who is available in your area, and touch base with some of my fellow adjusters to see who could take care of you the best ( and most reasonable )

I was  certified by the IICRC ( Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification, http://www.iicrc.org/home.shtml) for the mitigation of odors, and many other insurance related restoration trades, and will be glad to help you in any way that i can.

If i had the time i would tell you about the lady that i had ( when i was a restoration contractor ) that had approx 15 cats, and used a childs plastic pool for the litter box, and hadn't changed the litter for 2 years, but that story is for another day    ( btw, i got all the odor out of that house too :D )
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 08:17:40 PM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2009, 08:22:49 PM »
lite up! :rofl
Flying since tour 71.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 08:19:27 AM »
thanks bailey, thats good advice, i will file it for future reference if i every need it. I have two rental houses.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2009, 12:01:15 PM »
Tell the landlord that the smell is unacceptable, and they either get it fixed or move you to a new unit.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2009, 12:56:16 PM »
   Id get another unit if available. No need living in that stench. Id get another apt. regardless if a new location.

~AoM~

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2009, 02:14:44 PM »
Like MBaily said, get someone to bring in an Ozone generator.

This stuff is badazz, so be prepared to stay out of the house for 24 hrs.

House must be completely aired out before you re-enter.

I use one of these in my basement once a year. :rock

"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2009, 03:43:32 PM »
Tell the landlord that the smell is unacceptable, and they either get it fixed or move you to a new unit.

I'd do what Dago says or tell 'em you want all your money back..
They should've asked you if you are a smoker..  Most places ask so they can put in a place that's been smoked in already..
Sounds like your property management are idiots..
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"