Author Topic: HTC.....Poly Count  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: HTC.....Poly Count
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 11:29:58 AM »
Rome wasn't build in a day. :aok

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 11:40:32 AM »
it was burned down in one night  ;)
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 11:49:32 AM »
it was burned down in one night  ;)

oh snap  :rofl :rofl
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 11:54:43 AM »
Hmmmm ... those cones looks like AIR RACING cones !!!  :x
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 12:39:11 PM »
To build on what Dale said, if you make the polygons all use the same texture, material, and keep the polygons white, it will make things render much faster.  If you can make all the polygons on say, an airfield, use one texture and one material, it would render fast and you could actually use more polygons.

Also in regards to your tower object, you'll lose all detail you have on those handrails beyond probably 20 feet max.  After that distance, you may as well make them flat polygons or wireframes.  Moreover, you have to think about whether or not some of the details are worth making.  When a player is flying by, they're not going to be flying by admiring your handrails or the fact that you made a guy standing on deck drinking a cup of cocoa with modelled marshmellows floating on top. :) Most likely, they won't really notice much of anything beyond the general shape of the building.  If they're close enough to notice such details, they're about to crash into it.  :O
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 12:46:41 PM »
"The tower is for a 100% scale (dimensionally anyway)"

How are you going to get a monitor big enough.

HiTech

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 01:20:14 PM »
To build on what Dale said, if you make the polygons all use the same texture, material, and keep the polygons white, it will make things render much faster.  If you can make all the polygons on say, an airfield, use one texture and one material, it would render fast and you could actually use more polygons.

Also in regards to your tower object, you'll lose all detail you have on those handrails beyond probably 20 feet max.  After that distance, you may as well make them flat polygons or wireframes.  Moreover, you have to think about whether or not some of the details are worth making.  When a player is flying by, they're not going to be flying by admiring your handrails or the fact that you made a guy standing on deck drinking a cup of cocoa with modelled marshmellows floating on top. :) Most likely, they won't really notice much of anything beyond the general shape of the building.  If they're close enough to notice such details, they're about to crash into it.  :O

Thanks for the hints/tips in the first line or two....that changes my perspective on things.

AHXARL races often spend a good bit of time in the tower, especially if they crash like me.

:D

All kidding aside the airfield is going to be the only attraction to the terrain. Other than a few outer pylons, the odd building or two, start/finish pylon, tower and the airfield itself its going to be pretty sparse. In any event I will seriously dial back the handrail and play with it some. Then again if I saved polygons there I could add grandstands, scale hangers and parked planes.

:O

My problem isnt deciding what I could add...its what I should add. Me thinks I am getting to glimpse into the daily dilemma HTC faces. lol

Thanks for the replies and interest!

<S> Strip

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 01:21:11 PM »
"The tower is for a 100% scale (dimensionally anyway)"

How are you going to get a monitor big enough.

HiTech

Virtual dimensions....

;)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 01:21:50 PM »
six.

10.382 million for the nook.

:rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 01:22:55 PM »
When a player is flying by, they're not going to be flying by admiring your handrails or the fact that you made a guy standing on deck drinking a cup of cocoa with modelled marshmellows floating on top.

but leave a vodka bottle out of a la7........you never hear the end of it......  :rofl

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 01:24:35 PM »
but leave a vodka bottle out of a la7........you never hear the end of it......  :rofl

Is that why most La7 drivers act like they are drunk?

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 08:40:16 PM »
Superfly, I do have to bring up the point that some players take great pride in crashing into things and admiring the detail!

Just imagine a B err... P-38 hanging from that exquisitely detail handrail, with one of Dan's excellent write-up's.   :lol
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 08:44:33 PM »
I could see it now....

Something about borrowing the towers blender?

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2009, 11:38:09 AM »
A lot of it is knowing/guessing how many surfaces you need to make things look round. More close up, as little as 6 (hexagon) looks round past a certain distance.
Also remember to remove any surfaces that won't be seen.

I learn't a lot from here http://home.sprynet.com/~drawlins/AI_aircraft/AI_aircraft.html

In their time the ai aardvark guys were generally regarded as producing the best frame-rate friendly aircraft for MSFS.
So although it's for aircraft using GMax, the principles are the same.

It's amazing what you can get away with using only around 4000 polys. (complete will add another few hundred)

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2009, 01:34:04 PM »
Significantly more than 4000 polys, but it IS a bit more complicated than that jet....

Couldn't help showing off.

Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.