Author Topic: os  (Read 376 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
os
« on: August 22, 2009, 10:53:45 PM »
This has been bugging me since i had trouble reinstalling windows last week. 

1. while i was looking up on newegg for windows xp they had two versions one is the oem for builders and the other is the retail version.  what's the difference between both of them.  I got conflicting information looking it up.  can both versions be transfered to a new pc if lets say for example i decide to buy a pc with no os?

2.  how Do i find out exactly which programs are loading on start up?  I noticed from other postings that some you u guys run a low number of processed.  mine runs about 42 which is less than the 50 I used to run before.  I have read different posings on different threads regarding this subject  but still as confused.  I have looked up the processed that my system run on yahoo, but that confused me even more.

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
Re: os
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 11:16:45 PM »
you should check your PMs   I replied to your PM that I need your email address before I can send the files on processes
"theres nothin like wakin up with a Dickens Cider" - Dickens Fruit Stand

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 11:29:46 PM »
sorry for not replying to your pm before, i had 3 hours of sleep in 48 hrs (too excited with new puter and work  :), and actually forgot that i had requested the info on processes from you.  thanks again for your help

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 08:16:01 AM »
1. while i was looking up on newegg for windows xp they had two versions one is the oem for builders and the other is the retail version.  what's the difference between both of them.  I got conflicting information looking it up.  can both versions be transfered to a new pc if lets say for example i decide to buy a pc with no os?

both the same apart from pricing and a nice retail box. OEM is alot cheaper because its for system builders to supply with new PCs rather than on its own. iirc you qualify for the OEM version if you buy it along with 2 or 3 major system components eg. CPU/mobo/HD.

as for 2. use something like FSAutostart/Alacrity/Gamebooster to turn off stuff you dont need when you play AH. www.blackviper.com shows you whats safe to switch off.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 08:18:23 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 11:56:52 AM »
Retail Box versions of an OS comes with all the User Manuals, quick guides, etc.....

OEM comes in a cellophane wrapper and is reduced paperwork, very small OS manual ,,OEM versions usually have less bloatware, to where the fully boxed retail version is loaded up with extras ( or I might have that last part actually reversed........... it's been along time, for me to recall correctly )......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 02:44:09 PM »
Technically, MS has put wording in the OEM license that gives them the right to not allow the OS to authenticate (authorize, whatever) after major hardware changes.  In practice, MS very rarely refuses to unlock the OS after hardware changes, even with OEM license keys.  There is also a different level of authorized support with OEM, but for most people it still amounts to the fact that you won't get any personal attention from MS unless you pay for an expensive support plan.

Also, you might find other oddities, like an OEM version might refuse to do an "upgrade" install from an existing win9x installation, or other quirks like that.

For most people, it really won't matter whether you get the retail or OEM version.  I have a couple of active OEM licenses at home, and none of them have been denied activation following hardware changes.  At worst, I've had to call MS and have them give me the usual lengthy activation key after 15 min on hold.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 10:27:46 PM »
Technically, MS has put wording in the OEM license that gives them the right to not allow the OS to authenticate (authorize, whatever) after major hardware changes.  In practice, MS very rarely refuses to unlock the OS after hardware changes, even with OEM license keys.  There is also a different level of authorized support with OEM, but for most people it still amounts to the fact that you won't get any personal attention from MS unless you pay for an expensive support plan.

Also, you might find other oddities, like an OEM version might refuse to do an "upgrade" install from an existing win9x installation, or other quirks like that.

For most people, it really won't matter whether you get the retail or OEM version.  I have a couple of active OEM licenses at home, and none of them have been denied activation following hardware changes.  At worst, I've had to call MS and have them give me the usual lengthy activation key after 15 min on hold.

X2